ADVERTISEMENT

4 University of Idaho students murdered.

Former FBI guy on the news thinks this dude has a legitimate defense case since most evidence is circumstantial. I think he’s toast, and rightfully so.
Matched DNA isn't "circumstantial." He's getting pounded in jail or off's himself. Both are just fine with me.

Reactions: OrlandNole
Former FBI guy on the news thinks this dude has a legitimate defense case since most evidence is circumstantial. I think he’s toast, and rightfully so.
We don't know what evidence law enforcement has, other than DNA.

That said, even DNA can be sketchy because we don't know how the DNA got where it was collected. That's the part that most people forget.

We don't know what evidence law enforcement has, other than DNA.

That said, even DNA can be sketchy because we don't know how the DNA got where it was collected. That's the part that most people forget.
I listened to a podcast where a guy was charged with murder because of dna.

Turns out he was an inpatient at a hospital at the time of the murder.

His dna was on the victim because the ambulance EMT that picked him up was the same EMT that arrived at the murder scene.

Crazy

Haven't heard about much of this yet. ****ing wild.

Sheriff’s Department
University of Idaho undergrad Dylan Mortensen said she first woke up around 4 a.m. on Nov. 13 to what she assumed was the sound of her roommate, Kaylee Goncalves, playing with her dog upstairs.
A short time later, Mortensen thought she heard her 21-year-old friend say, “There’s someone here.” But when Mortensen looked out of her bedroom, she didn’t see a thing. She peeked outside her bedroom door a second time when she heard crying coming from the bedroom of her other roommate, Xana Kernodle.
“It’s ok, I’m going to help you,” Mortensen told authorities she heard a male voice say

The third time Mortensen opened her bedroom door to a far more terrifying sight: “a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person’s mouth and nose walking toward her.” But the masked man just walked past her and left the home from the back sliding glass door as she stood in a “frozen shock phase.”
Hours later, Mortensen would learn that three of her roommates—and one of their boyfriends—were brutally murdered.
That’s according to a probable cause affidavit unsealed Thursday, which lays out previously unknown details about what happened in the Moscow, Idaho rental home the night of the shocking murders that have since captured national attention.
In the document, authorities lay out the grisly details into the killings of four University of Idaho college students—Madison Mogen, 21; Ethan Chapin, 20; and Kernodle and Goncalves. Last week, a team of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers arrested Kohberger, a 28-year-old first-year PhD student in criminology at Washington State University, at his parents’ home in Pennsylvania.
He was extradited back to Idaho on Wednesday and is set to face 2nd District Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall today on four counts of murder in the first degree and a burglary charge.
Providing new details about the lengthy investigation that led to Kohberger’s arrest, investigators detail how authorities found the grisly scene, and eventually matched DNA from a knife found in a bedroom, to Kohberger himself.
The probable cause affidavit states that investigators entered the Mosbow home on the bottom floor—before walking up stairs to find Kernodle just outside her bedroom door. Authorities say that she had wounds that “appeared to have been caused by a edged weapon.”
Inside the room, authorities found Chapin, who sustained deadly “sharp-force injuries.” On the third floor, authorities found one bedroom with a dog and both Goncalves and Mogen were “deceased with visible stab wounds.” Authorities later noticed a “tan leather knife sheath laying next to Morgen's right side” bearing the U.S. Marine Corps insignia and crucial DNA evidence on the button snap.
Authorities also found a latent shoe print at the scene, which showed a “diamond-shaped pattern (similar to the pattern of a Vans type shoe sole) just outside” Mortensen’s door. Upon reviewing several surveillance cameras on the area, investigators were able to also determine that a white sedan was seen by the house around the time of the murders.

As I had said many eons ago, they collected numbnut's DNA from the trash. Genealogy may be one thing. To match is altogether another thing.

Excerpt

The DNA obtained from the trash and the sheath showed a connection, according to the affidavit.

What took roommate so long to call the police if she saw the dude at 4am?
That was my first question too. I'm guessing maybe she just assumed it was some friend of someone else, and went to bed. I would routinely go to bed at 3-4AM and sleep until around noon back in college. So that part isn't weird necessarily.

But still, if she felt like something was off and saw the guy leave, it's kind of odd that she wouldn't walk out and check on things. Especially if she heard a friend crying.

That was my first question too. I'm guessing maybe she just assumed it was some friend of someone else, and went to bed. I would routinely go to bed at 3-4AM and sleep until around noon back in college. So that part isn't weird necessarily.

But still, if she felt like something was off and saw the guy leave, it's kind of odd that she wouldn't walk out and check on things. Especially if she heard a friend crying.
The full ski mask would be very odd…

I get sleeping late, as we all probably did in college. The fact she was curious enough to open her door 3 times and sees a guy with a mask then is not curious enough to go upstairs to take a look at least, seems odd.
Her fear factor may have played a part, but one would think she would have taken a quick look.

Reactions: McLovin32
I am curious what the defense strategy will be.

I would guess try to get as much of the evidence thrown out as possible, which will probably fail.

I am also interested to see more evidence.

Anyone think this guy receives a not guilty verdict?

I am curious what the defense strategy will be.

I would guess try to get as much of the evidence thrown out as possible, which will probably fail.

I am also interested to see more evidence.

Anyone think this guy receives a not guilty verdict?

His public defender is only a few years out of law school and is in a county about 90 miles away - she is the nearest PD certified in Idaho for death penalty cases.
If she manages to get him life it’s a victory for her.

His public defender is only a few years out of law school and is in a county about 90 miles away - she is the nearest PD certified in Idaho for death penalty cases.
Good practice for a future legal career. Many pd's I know then become prosecutors ;)

Reactions: goldmom
He doesn’t have anything to offer other than a guilty plea, unless he did kill before and they can close those cases.

Haven't heard about much of this yet. ****ing wild.

Sheriff’s Department
University of Idaho undergrad Dylan Mortensen said she first woke up around 4 a.m. on Nov. 13 to what she assumed was the sound of her roommate, Kaylee Goncalves, playing with her dog upstairs.
A short time later, Mortensen thought she heard her 21-year-old friend say, “There’s someone here.” But when Mortensen looked out of her bedroom, she didn’t see a thing. She peeked outside her bedroom door a second time when she heard crying coming from the bedroom of her other roommate, Xana Kernodle.
“It’s ok, I’m going to help you,” Mortensen told authorities she heard a male voice say

The third time Mortensen opened her bedroom door to a far more terrifying sight: “a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person’s mouth and nose walking toward her.” But the masked man just walked past her and left the home from the back sliding glass door as she stood in a “frozen shock phase.”
Hours later, Mortensen would learn that three of her roommates—and one of their boyfriends—were brutally murdered.
That’s according to a probable cause affidavit unsealed Thursday, which lays out previously unknown details about what happened in the Moscow, Idaho rental home the night of the shocking murders that have since captured national attention.
In the document, authorities lay out the grisly details into the killings of four University of Idaho college students—Madison Mogen, 21; Ethan Chapin, 20; and Kernodle and Goncalves. Last week, a team of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers arrested Kohberger, a 28-year-old first-year PhD student in criminology at Washington State University, at his parents’ home in Pennsylvania.
He was extradited back to Idaho on Wednesday and is set to face 2nd District Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall today on four counts of murder in the first degree and a burglary charge.
Providing new details about the lengthy investigation that led to Kohberger’s arrest, investigators detail how authorities found the grisly scene, and eventually matched DNA from a knife found in a bedroom, to Kohberger himself.
The probable cause affidavit states that investigators entered the Mosbow home on the bottom floor—before walking up stairs to find Kernodle just outside her bedroom door. Authorities say that she had wounds that “appeared to have been caused by a edged weapon.”
Inside the room, authorities found Chapin, who sustained deadly “sharp-force injuries.” On the third floor, authorities found one bedroom with a dog and both Goncalves and Mogen were “deceased with visible stab wounds.” Authorities later noticed a “tan leather knife sheath laying next to Morgen's right side” bearing the U.S. Marine Corps insignia and crucial DNA evidence on the button snap.
Authorities also found a latent shoe print at the scene, which showed a “diamond-shaped pattern (similar to the pattern of a Vans type shoe sole) just outside” Mortensen’s door. Upon reviewing several surveillance cameras on the area, investigators were able to also determine that a white sedan was seen by the house around the time of the murders.
I know this has been stated in this thread but for being a PHD candidate in criminology, he was really bad at murder.

I get sleeping late, as we all probably did in college. The fact she was curious enough to open her door 3 times and sees a guy with a mask then is not curious enough to go upstairs to take a look at least, seems odd.
Her fear factor may have played a part, but one would think she would have taken a quick look.
Or at least text them to see what's up.

Reactions: NoleinATL
As I had said many eons ago, they collected numbnut's DNA from the trash. Genealogy may be one thing. To match is altogether another thing.

Excerpt

The DNA obtained from the trash and the sheath showed a connection, according to the affidavit.

Law enforcement will need to prove when and how the DNA was left at the scene. That may or may not be easy.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT