ADVERTISEMENT

4 University of Idaho students murdered.

So the DNA found on the knife sheath was presumably a drop of blood? That’s almost has good as leaving the murder weapon, for the prosecution.

Haven't heard about much of this yet. ****ing wild.

Sheriff’s Department
University of Idaho undergrad Dylan Mortensen said she first woke up around 4 a.m. on Nov. 13 to what she assumed was the sound of her roommate, Kaylee Goncalves, playing with her dog upstairs.
A short time later, Mortensen thought she heard her 21-year-old friend say, “There’s someone here.” But when Mortensen looked out of her bedroom, she didn’t see a thing. She peeked outside her bedroom door a second time when she heard crying coming from the bedroom of her other roommate, Xana Kernodle.
“It’s ok, I’m going to help you,” Mortensen told authorities she heard a male voice say

The third time Mortensen opened her bedroom door to a far more terrifying sight: “a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person’s mouth and nose walking toward her.” But the masked man just walked past her and left the home from the back sliding glass door as she stood in a “frozen shock phase.”
Hours later, Mortensen would learn that three of her roommates—and one of their boyfriends—were brutally murdered.
That’s according to a probable cause affidavit unsealed Thursday, which lays out previously unknown details about what happened in the Moscow, Idaho rental home the night of the shocking murders that have since captured national attention.
In the document, authorities lay out the grisly details into the killings of four University of Idaho college students—Madison Mogen, 21; Ethan Chapin, 20; and Kernodle and Goncalves. Last week, a team of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers arrested Kohberger, a 28-year-old first-year PhD student in criminology at Washington State University, at his parents’ home in Pennsylvania.
He was extradited back to Idaho on Wednesday and is set to face 2nd District Magistrate Judge Megan Marshall today on four counts of murder in the first degree and a burglary charge.
Providing new details about the lengthy investigation that led to Kohberger’s arrest, investigators detail how authorities found the grisly scene, and eventually matched DNA from a knife found in a bedroom, to Kohberger himself.
The probable cause affidavit states that investigators entered the Mosbow home on the bottom floor—before walking up stairs to find Kernodle just outside her bedroom door. Authorities say that she had wounds that “appeared to have been caused by a edged weapon.”
Inside the room, authorities found Chapin, who sustained deadly “sharp-force injuries.” On the third floor, authorities found one bedroom with a dog and both Goncalves and Mogen were “deceased with visible stab wounds.” Authorities later noticed a “tan leather knife sheath laying next to Morgen's right side” bearing the U.S. Marine Corps insignia and crucial DNA evidence on the button snap.
Authorities also found a latent shoe print at the scene, which showed a “diamond-shaped pattern (similar to the pattern of a Vans type shoe sole) just outside” Mortensen’s door. Upon reviewing several surveillance cameras on the area, investigators were able to also determine that a white sedan was seen by the house around the time of the murders.
What a f@cking nightmare.

Reactions: McLovin32
Law enforcement will need to prove when and how the DNA was left at the scene. That may or may not be easy.
True. Though I believe numbnuts probably left enough on the dismembered organs and mixed blood.

Before I die - I want to find out the truth about bigfoot and this..wtf..

A nearby security camera picked up the sounds of crying, a dog barking, and a "loud thud" at 4:17 am, the affidavit says.

The roommate told police that the second time she opened her door, she saw "a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her," according to the affidavit.

She said the man, who she did not recognize, walked past her as she stood in a "frozen shock phase."

The roommate then locked herself in her bedroom as the man walked toward the back sliding glass door, she said.

The affidavit didn't include an explanation of why the roommate didn't call 911 at that time

A nearby security camera picked up the sounds of crying, a dog barking, and a "loud thud" at 4:17 am, the affidavit says.

The roommate told police that the second time she opened her door, she saw "a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her," according to the affidavit.

She said the man, who she did not recognize, walked past her as she stood in a "frozen shock phase."

The roommate then locked herself in her bedroom as the man walked toward the back sliding glass door, she said.

The affidavit didn't include an explanation of why the roommate didn't call 911 at that time
all very weird... and the call was for an unconscious individual. WTF... something seems off in regards to the roommates statement.

That's a very good goddamn question right there.

all very weird... and the call was for an unconscious individual. WTF... something seems off in regards to the roommates statement.
At one point some source made it seem like one of the roommates that were alive fainted when discovering the bodies and that was what caused the unconscious roommate police call

But I have no idea if that was ever confirmed

Maybe the creep realized he was bleeding and more likely to leave DNA at the scene. Or maybe he was exhausted. Hard telling what could be going through the mind of a man who just cut four people up.
He also thought he was smarter than he was and thought he was going to make a clean getaway.

Ok the roommate lived on the first floor. It also says that Bryan walked towards her and past her and exited out the sliding glass door on the second floor. So did the roommate go up to the second floor where he walked towards/past her or did he come down to the first floor and walk past her there before she locked herself in bedroom as he exited the 2nd floor sliding glass door? I assume this happened on the 1st floor otherwise she would have seen the mess on the 2nd floor. If so she is damn lucky he didn’t kill her as she is a witness. He musta been in a hurry to get out of dodge.

Ok the roommate lived on the first floor. It also says that Bryan walked towards her and past her and exited out the sliding glass door on the second floor. So did the roommate go up to the second floor where he walked towards/past her or did he come down to the first floor and walk past her there before she locked herself in bedroom as he exited the 2nd floor sliding glass door? I assume this happened on the 1st floor otherwise she would have seen the mess on the 2nd floor. If so she is damn lucky he didn’t kill her as she is a witness. He musta been in a hurry to get out of dodge.

Ok so surviving roommate Dylan who saw the suspect also lived on the 2nd floor not the 1st. Crazy how much misinformation gets thrown around. I swear all reports were the 2 survivors both lived on the first floor? So she was much closer to the action than I had thought.

Best explanation I can come up with is the killer felt done after the 4th…he either liked the number, or was just exhausted. As for the roommate going back into her room, there are a lot of possible explanations. Maybe she thought someone brought a random home, or maybe she was drunk and just went back and passed out. I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think she just thought it was normal weekend shenanigans and went to bed.

If the guy is so smart he should have known to not have a cell phone or any “smart” device like a watch or Fitbit on while doing his stalking. Also don’t want a car with onstar or any other service (active or not).

Getting away with murder is very difficult in middle class areas with all the cameras on traffic signals and door bell cameras.

Guy is an idiot.
That’s why 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 was such a great car.

Y'all looking into this like a facebook group from a hallmark movie that was paused while your wife farted and blamed it on microwaved popcorn.

The pca (probable cause affidavit, ie, info that was released) was the bare minimum needed for an arrest warrant from a judge.

The amount of evidence that the prosecution has (and will steadily attain through elint, sigint searches, interviews of roommates, students, etc ) that will be brought to trial will be significantly more than this.

Best explanation I can come up with is the killer felt done after the 4th…he either liked the number, or was just exhausted. As for the roommate going back into her room, there are a lot of possible explanations. Maybe she thought someone brought a random home, or maybe she was drunk and just went back and passed out. I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think she just thought it was normal weekend shenanigans and went to bed.
I figure the roommate was so freaked out she just locked herself in her room and basically couldn't move until she thought it was safe. She froze out of fear.

Easy for you to say... You were not there! Do you really know what you would do?

How many people would run to a car that crashed and is upside in on fire?

Most people freeze.
Correct. That’s why I said probably bc I don’t know for sure what I would have done. She “froze” and didn’t do anything for almost 8 hours. Just saying that sounds a little strange.

Good dialogue though. This case fascinates me.

I can see Brian walking past one of the roommates on his way out. Maybe we learn more about the why of these killings, but the mental defects of these people lend them to make decisions we don't comprehend. I remember Gang Lu shooting up one room, and then leaving. Physicist Dr. Donald Gurnett was trying to help one of his fellow faculty members, cradling his head, and he looked up to see Gang Lu walking back into the doorway, smiling at him, then walking off. I can't recall if he made a gesture or not, but I know Gurnett felt that Gang Lu was sending some signal to him that he lived only because he allowed him to. Part of his psychosis, I guess.

Correct. That’s why I said probably bc I don’t know for sure what I would have done. She “froze” and didn’t do anything for almost 8 hours. Just saying that sounds a little strange.

Good dialogue though. This case fascinates me.
I also wondered this A if maybe she was frozen, didn’t have her phone in room (unlikely but possible) and was afraid to open door after for a long time in case he’s still there, or maybe had done something recreationally that made her think it could be a really scary trip? Which will not help with eyewitness testimony if so.

I don’t know that she was doing anything recreationally just considering a possibility ona Saturday night in a college student’s life.

Reactions: goldmom and ericram

Do we know that he saw her? In his state of mind, he may have just been looking for the door out. Or he could have been looking down for his sheath if it was the path he took to get in.

Do we know that he saw her? In his state of mind, he may have just been looking for the door out. Or he could have been looking down for his sheath if it was the path he took to get in.
I doubt it. The floorplan shows that it would be pretty easy to stay out of sight as someone left through the sliding door, especially an hour before dawn.

I’ve read the roommate witness lived on the 1st floor and the killings happened on the 2nd and 3rd. She ran into the killer as he left through the sliding door on the 2nd floor supposedly. Maybe she was walking towards her roommates’ room, came across the killer then ran back to her room and locked door?

I’ve read the roommate witness lived on the 1st floor and the killings happened on the 2nd and 3rd. She ran into the killer as he left through the sliding door on the 2nd floor supposedly. Maybe she was walking towards her roommates’ room, came across the killer then ran back to her room and locked door?
Maybe she was drunk too... and locked herself in her room and passed out? I'm fascinated to hear the full story on Dateline or Netflix once this is all concluded.

We don’t, but she said he had “bushy eyebrows”…if she got that good of a look at him it makes me think he *probably* saw her.

I also think it’s most likely that she didn’t know what happened and wasn’t “terrified” but was instead weirded out by the creeper that her roommates let in the house (could’ve been a random hookup, one of Ethan’s friends, some random dude who came home from the bar and had some drinks with them, etc). She could’ve been the more responsible roommate who was used to noisy nights and locking her door while the others had people coming in and out at all hours of the night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT