ADVERTISEMENT

$40,000 to join the Navy?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I'm outside of their prime demographic, but I took note of their recruiting efforts during the Purdue/Notre Dame basketball game. Pretty slick new TV ad showing how you can see the world, challenge yourself, and get a $40,000 sign on bonus. The ad doesn't tell you what the requirements are to get the bonus, but I found it interesting that sign on bonuses appear to be on the rise.

Reactions: Lurker1999
I think it's a great opportunity for anybody willing to do the time. Wish I would of enlisted out of high school

Reactions: birdforbogey
My son joined the air Force. They don't have bonuses but they do have quality of life. He has been in less than a year and already has over 10k in the bank. He has zero expenses other than his phone. He also has close to an associates degree from his training because the air Force has their own community college and gives him credit for his tech school.

For him it was a great deal

My son joined the air Force. They don't have bonuses but they do have quality of life. He has been in less than a year and already has over 10k in the bank. He has zero expenses other than his phone. He also has close to an associates degree from his training because the air Force has their own community college and gives him credit for his tech school.

The Chair Force is great if you can get in.

He will be able to walk into a job making 80k or more once he gets out. That is if he doesn't finish his degree

Only an E-1 makes that little, and you're only an E-1 while in boot camp.

And of course, that's just the base pay. Military guys get all sorts of allowances, cost of living bumps, hazard pay, free healthcare, subsidized on base retail stores, etc., etc. which increases the total compensation.

https://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-charts-e1_e5_2019

So $1800. My point was that the bonus structure is basically set to underpay people with certain skill sets or credentials. It’s nice that they give you $10k for a college degree, but it doesn’t make financial sense to enlist when you do.

A lot better than it was in 1973.

So $1800. My point was that the bonus structure is basically set to underpay people with certain skill sets or credentials. It’s nice that they give you $10k for a college degree, but it doesn’t make financial sense to enlist when you do.

Talk about not seeing the forest because of all the trees. :rolleyes:

With all the snowflakes around- usmc bootcamp should be mandatory for all high school graduates

I did the nam thing, and then the GI bill paid most of my four year professional degree. Very glad I did the usmc route

When I enlisted in 83 I got 5k as an enlistment bonus and 20k for college. As I remember I had to set aside 2700 to get that 21. Looking back, I wish I had gone to college first.

With all the snowflakes around- usmc bootcamp should be mandatory for all high school graduates

The military members seem to be doing just fine these days. Pretty sure there aren't as many snowflakes as you'd imagine. Remember, the much maligned Millennials have been fighting wars their entire adult lives.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gone to the Air Force Academy. Excellent perks during and after service and you don’t have to deal with a lot of dumbasses.

Not sure what their requirements are but I had good grades in HS, good scores on ACT, I’m a minority (albeit not a protected one), played multiple sports in HS with recognition in a one so I think I would have had a decent chance. Then again I’m 6’4” (with short legs) so I think that disqualifies me from flight school.

Compared to the amount of debt these kids are likely to rack up by getting the same education at a college? Plus, many of these kids need the discipline the military can provide.

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT