ADVERTISEMENT

40 minutes

they now think the gunman was not wearing armor. Even if he was you have cops outfitted with military gear outside. then they couldn't get the door opened so a staff member had to unlock it.

they now think the gunman was not wearing armor. Even if he was you have cops outfitted with military gear outside. then they couldn't get the door opened so a staff member had to unlock it.
Crazy, think it took 40 mins to find staff member keys? Thought they had a security officer on site.

Reactions: gohawks50
81-DB3740-1570-4-A8-F-B220-401644-F65576.jpg

Probably trying to figure out WTF OP is talking about because he didn't know how to post a link.

The gunman got in, so why in the hell was the door unlocked to begin with? I would have thought after all the history of school shootings, at the very least, they lock the doors.

No clue. After reading that article it sounds like he was outside. Maybe couldn’t get back in? I don’t know.
I'm just questioning the spin here. People always try to put the best face on things at first. Will see.

Last edited:
The gunman got in, so why in the hell was the door unlocked to begin with? I would have thought after all the history of school shootings, at the very least, they lock the doors.

I read or heard that he tried a few doors in the rear of the school before finding one that was open. I know that doesn't answer your question though. Still waiting on the facts to come out.

Reactions: Jan Itor
Class of 02, but I left early in 01 so I identify as class of 2001.25.
I see. Cousin graduated in ‘69. His granddaughter actually went there as well. Graduated in April of 2020 (Covid year)

Reactions: Moral
More and more, our police act like a military organization, but when a situation arises in which a military approach is necessary, they suddenly act like police again. Sorry cops, you can’t have it both ways. You can’t approach every unusual traffic stop like you just pulled over an ISIS sleeper, then get a pass when an armed gunman is in a school. No. Either step in front of the bullets or give back the vests.

I get waiting at first. Wait for backup, better equipment, additional info (I’m sure they get contradictory info at first), maybe even floor plan of the school and such.

Am confused by the reporting at the moment, not great optics for the cops but also seems like the reporting is at least partly contradictory at the moment.

"The initial group of officers that were on scene, at that point, they were at a point of disadvantage because the shooter was able to barricade himself inside that classroom. There was not sufficient manpower at that time and their main, their primary focus was preserve any further loss of life," Olivarez said. "So they started breaking windows around the school, and trying to rescue, evacuate children and teachers while that was going on."

What the **** were the cops doing?
Have you ever squared off against somebody that is shooting a semi automatic rifle at you and your defense is a handgun? Yeah, me either! I’m sure it gives a person pause.

to question what they were doing while we don’t have all the information is incredibly newsy of you. EVERY major news outlet is asking the same thing. How shallow are we. Really?

this is a small town police force and and an outpost of border patrol agents. We don’t know what their training level is/was. We don’t know they weren’t trying to go in the back while a group of officers covered the front. We don’t know how many were in the building.

we do know that two were shot and wounded while exchanging gunfire with the suspect. We do know that they were evacuating ALL other kids and instructors that weren’t locked in that room with the gunman. We do know that there were parents losing their minds, rightfully so, out front that required attention and control.

The one thing that these two public service units haven’t done is get out in front of all the negative with a level of transparency that all these news outlets want. Is that good or bad? Obviously, in the OP’s opinion, they didn’t, and aren’t, doing enough.

Mike

Have you ever squared off against somebody that is shooting a semi automatic rifle at you and your defense is a handgun? Yeah, me either! I’m sure it gives a person pause.
Check the video. There are at least a half dozen officers milling about in body armor with long guns

this is a small town police force and and an outpost of border patrol agents.
The small town force with a SWAT team?

Crazy, think it took 40 mins to find staff member keys? Thought they had a security officer on site.

Everyone is locked in their rooms during a lockdown.

In the case of a full school lockdown in my district we would have at least 5 people with full key access to any of our buildings within 15 minutes. More like 5 minutes for 6 of our 8 buildings.

Check the video. There are at least a half dozen officers milling about in body armor with long guns

The small town force with a SWAT team?
You obviously don’t live in Texas! It has the highest percentage of law enforcement per capita that I’ve ever seen. Out tax dollars definitely go towards public safety and building football stadiums.

that doesn’t mean the other things I pointed out have been answered or addressed. And we certainly don’t know the level of training some of these officers “milling about” have had.

until you are shot at, you don’t know how you will react. Some move towards the sound of gunfire, some do crowd control.

Last edited:
It's like Scot Peterson, that school cop at the Parkland mass shooting in Florida where 17 kids were killed who hid out front instead of going in to confront the killers.

https://apnews.com/article/shooting...ool-shooting-bb5c5fe81cecb63886bd325b53b2e597

And yeah, I do expect the armed, trained cops to immediately engage and draw fire away from the children, even if they are "outgunned." That's exactly what they exist for.

It's like Scot Peterson, that school cop at the Parkland mass shooting in Florida where 17 kids were killed who hid out front instead of going in to confront the killers.

https://apnews.com/article/shooting...ool-shooting-bb5c5fe81cecb63886bd325b53b2e597

And yeah, I do expect the armed, trained cops to immediately engage and draw fire away from the children, even if they are "outgunned." That's exactly what they exist for.
I can’t believe parents were able to be kept out. Being Texas I assume they all had their own guns.

No and probably not
Idk, man. The amount of military hardware. Humvees, etc that even small towns seem to have now. I'd think they'd have breaching devices. Will see. I'm guessing it's all a mixed bag. A lot of good and some mistakes. Would hate to be the person who left the back door unlocked.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
ADVERTISEMENT