ADVERTISEMENT

42 World War 2 Maps

Been listening to a WWII podcast about 180 episodes in and the US hasn’t even entered the war yet, yes it’s very detailed.

I always enjoyed WWII history but this podcast is the first time ever I heard that France and Great Britain really hated each other after Dunkirk and even had military conflicts. It was like bizarre world. De Gaulle was even sentenced to death in absentia.

guessing France would like to forget about that.

WWI and WWII are fascinating periods of history that are the the root causes of almost everything going on today.

Been listening to a WWII podcast about 180 episodes in and the US hasn’t even entered the war yet, yes it’s very detailed.

I always enjoyed WWII history but this podcast is the first time ever I heard that France and Great Britain really hated each other after Dunkirk and even had military conflicts. It was like bizarre world. De Gaulle was even sentenced to death in absentia.

WWI and WWII are fascinating periods of history that are the the root causes of almost everything going on today.
France and England have been at odds for centuries..... ;)

There was Mers El Kébir when Churchill had the French fleet wiped out. And America fought the French at Casablanca.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
smadn2jdc0y71.jpg

Pretty cool...
Thank you for posting. Although he did not physically participate in the actual air raid on Tokyo in March 1945, my dad was a participant on that raid and its "success" that killed over 100,000 Japanese civilians in the fire bombing of Tokyo. IIRC, that raid destroyed 20 square miles of the city of Tokyo and killed more people than either of the 2 atomic bomb raids on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. For those who may have seen the movie Unbroken, it was featured in the movie when the POW's were transferred from Tokyo to other camps in Japan after the raid. It seems that that bombing raid has been given little attention in the overall summary of WWII, even though it was of such a significant result.

I wish that I had questioned my dad more on his role in the war before he died but I did know that his B-29 bomb wing was a major player in the ultimate destruction of Japan even before the atomic bomb raids. He did tell me that he never felt any regret on those 2 atomic raids, even though Japan was ultimately defeated ahead of them. Any act that would save Allied lives was perfectly justified in his opinion.

Kind of like the dealings with al Qaeda after 9/11, and with the Japanese military culture of WWII, it was going to be a fight to the last man, if permitted, as they felt that surrender would be a great dishonor. That philosophy seems to be so sad, given that the die hards of both "causes" did not care for the innocent lives they would put in harm's way. Germany fell prey to Hitler's same kind of thinking when he refused to surrender when it was obvious of the outcome of that war.

Hopefully in current and future wars, despots like Putin of today will admit that their war is a lost cause and realize when it is time to cut the losses, if for no other reason, than for the sake of humanity.

Harry Hopkins. Chief advisor to FDR. Who Churchill considered a great friend and very important figure in WWII is buried in Iowa. He also met with Stalin and was a big part of lend lease.

the headstone is very very modest.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus

What's it called?

And if not for the US, France would be speaking German. Hate those arrogant stinking aholes.

And if not for the US, France would be speaking German. Hate those arrogant stinking aholes.
France really took it on the chin in WWI likely why all of Europe was “anything but war again”

Britain being an island was the only thing that saved them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT