ADVERTISEMENT

42 years ago, 30 years ago Kinnick Stadium

cidsports

HB King
The Indiana-Iowa series has been an interesting one over the years. It has been 30 years, since both teams meet as Top 25 teams. Last season IU won a bowl game too!

Of course, this is the first season opener in Kinnick Stadium against a Big Ten opponent, since 1979.

Saturday marks the first game Iowa has been back in Kinnick Stadium, since Hayden's passing before the USC game in 2019.

So, what can this season become, if "we can win" on Saturday. Neither Hayden nor Kirk won their first game at Iowa. For Hayden, it was a close loss to IU.

Kirk's first game as an assistant at Iowa was the last season opener Iowa won at Kinnick that I can remember against a Top 20 team.

Saturday's game is huge for many reasons. First, it is a return to College Football with fans in the stands. A win at Kinnick would hopefully lead to another celebration in honor of Hayden Fry.

Sorry, it isn't Wednesday, and I am simply a huge Hawkeye Football fan, dating back to my first game in Kinnick, in 1974, the last time Iowa opened the season against back to back Top 20 teams.

This season is in reverse. Home - away, unlike 1974.

peace or I should say, #RIP Hayden

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News