ADVERTISEMENT

49ers DEs

TKingpin

HR MVP
Sep 6, 2006
Sometimes I watch the Iowa pass Rush against good running QBs and openly wonder why they aren’t trying to get to the QB. Watching SF DEs constantly overrun their position and allow Mahomes out of the pocket is clearly why you don’t go for broke getting to a QB like that.

We all know Phil is an incredible DC, and now I think SF could learn a few things from him.

Bosa in particular kept rushing around the LT so hard that he ran beyond the pocket, which allowed Mahomes to get outside and run for good yardage or throw for easy first downs. The other DE was just as bad. They needed to set that edge and keep him in the pocket, where he wasn’t really that effective for 3 1/2 quarters. I think it was selfish and irresponsible of those DE’s to do that, and now my appreciation for Phil grows even higher, which I didn’t think was possible.

Anybody else notice that when they didn’t set their edge, Mahomes burned them?

Sometimes I watch the Iowa pass Rush against good running QBs and openly wonder why they aren’t trying to get to the QB. Watching SF DEs constantly overrun their position and allow Mahomes out of the pocket is clearly why you don’t go for broke getting to a QB like that.

We all know Phil is an incredible DC, and now I think SF could learn a few things from him.

Bosa in particular kept rushing around the LT so hard that he ran beyond the pocket, which allowed Mahomes to get outside and run for good yardage or throw for easy first downs. The other DE was just as bad. They needed to set that edge and keep him in the pocket, where he wasn’t really that effective for 3 1/2 quarters. I think it was selfish and irresponsible of those DE’s to do that, and now my appreciation for Phil grows even higher, which I didn’t think was possible.

Anybody else notice that when they didn’t set their edge, Mahomes burned them?
That’s actually the best any D-line has contained Mahomes all year. He is a different breed, if you think the Niners could learn something from Parker you don’t watch much football.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Kc had 10 pts with 7 mins left in the SB.

the Niners d was incredible until then. Then the roof caved in.

if you think the Niners could learn something from Parker you don’t watch much football.

The Niners DC has been an on-field coach for 6 seasons.

Phil Parker has been an on-field coach for 32 seasons.

I am pretty sure their DC could learn something from Phil. To think differently is hubris.

Reactions: bojihawk44
That also kind of explains why AJ occasionally dropped inside on passing downs. You don't want to waste that rush talent just holding the edge.

Reactions: Hitmanfan
Playing two-gap contain would lead to Mahomes throwing for 500 yards and 4-5 TDs. SF was vulnerable at right CB. When Bosa destroyed Fisher, he basically eliminated Mahomes from being able to throw to that side of the field other than something that came out quick and short. SF'S defense didn't cost them the game. KC was going to score points-it was a matter of time. Shanahan going KF 1.0 at the end of the first half was a huge turning point in the game. I was stunned they didn't call TO with 1:39 left im the half. He then came out and ran the ball twice before the pass to Kittle. Even if that play didn't get overturned, there is no guarantee they score with as little time left as there was. He played not-to-lose and it ended up costing them the game. And Garapalo stunk it up in the second half. None of those things is on the defense or scheme.
Phil is a great coach. No one is going to dispute that. There are reasons teams bring heat all the time in the NFL. The elite QBs will shred ANY defense if they have time. Brady in his prime was pretty human if the opposing team could get pressure on him with their front four. When teams have to resort to bringing multiple LBs or DBs, things open up.

Did you notice the first three quarters when Bosa dominated and shut down KC's offense nearly single-handedly?
To add, per Pro Football Focus, Bosa had 12 pressures last night which is the most ever in a Super Bowl and that was with 2 KC players trying to block him at times

Reactions: grayhair81
ADVERTISEMENT