ADVERTISEMENT

5 Iowa HS baseball programs suspend seasons for 14 days due to positive covid-19 cases

Here parents work 50 to 60 hours and a week and do a teacher's job in your spare time.

I guess it is about priorities. Even 60 hours out of 168 in a week minus 8 hours of sleep per day leaves 52 hours per week.

Was H1N1? Emanated in Mexico. No Border Closing. No Social Distancing. No Masks. Bogus Vaccine. No stoppage of sports at any level. Schools closed on their own. Where was the CDC then? What was Fauci doing at that time?

H1N1 I am going on the high end of estimated deaths here in the US in a years time span which was 19,000 (again that is really high estimate) and NO RESTRICTIONS

Corona - Currently sitting at 123,000 deaths and counting in a 3 month time frame..... so I am not sure what you are comparing this to, but with that type of calculation, which was incredibly easy to look up, Corona is 6.5 times more deadly than H1N1 with a freaking quarantine and lock down, and school and work closure in only 3 months. I do not look at the news, I look at the numbers and listen to nurses that actually work in research and frontline areas. It is incredible to me that humans believe everything a news article on the right or left tell them. Also incredible to me that no one looks objectively at the data in front of them.

My point exactly. Election year, a crazy president that the media and many others in power want out. This is the craziest response I've ever seen to something we've actually kind of been through before.

We have not been through it before, not this kind of thing, but keep dreaming and thinking you are good to go.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
The lack of information is what is ultimately perpetuating this idea that they have to shut down because kids tested positive for Covid.

A year from now, if there is no vaccine yet, and we're still in the same boat of shutting down because someone gets sick, then it's either because A. the virus mutated and got worse, or B. we as a society are still as frightened as ever by our own f***ing shadow.

The problem is that one kid could have spread it to several players on his team and to players on other teams; those individuals could then spread it to their families, their communities, etc.

it will be interesting to see what the protocols are for when a D1 football player or players on ONE TEAM test positive. what happens? do only the players who test positive go into quarantine? or everyone he came in contact with (including coaches)?

That is awesome! I had voluntary and had about 10% participation. They liked to do social zooms with me but no work.

My wife had the same experience with her students doing voluntary stuff. I truly believe that if it is mandatory, the results will be better in all districts. The district just needs to know it’s students well enough that they are able to help the ones that are a bad fit for online learning right away.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
My wife had the same experience with her students doing voluntary stuff. I truly believe that if it is mandatory, the results will be better in all districts. The district just needs to know it’s students well enough that they are able to help the ones that are a bad fit for online learning right away.

Problem is Iowa does not allow for teaching new concepts via home learning. Not sure how they change that in 70 days

The lack of information is what is ultimately perpetuating this idea that they have to shut down because kids tested positive for Covid.

A year from now, if there is no vaccine yet, and we're still in the same boat of shutting down because someone gets sick, then it's either because A. the virus mutated and got worse, or B. we as a society are still as frightened as ever by our own f***ing shadow.

Agree. I think the fear is driving this BIG time
If you get it stay home for 2 weeks and get better.

The problem we have is that every organization is playing CYA with their legal departments. If you think any of them are primarily concerned about employee/participant/student health, you are dreaming. They are worried about getting sued and/or Twitter mobbed. That is it.

Look at the behavior of the general public. In the last week I've been to retail stores, baseball games, swimming pools, a wedding and a reception. NOBODY is social distancing or behaving any differently than they did a year ago, aside from a select few that wore a mask. Much, if not most of the public has moved on. Find the level of risk you yourself are comfortable taking then act accordingly. The quicker we can get protections from lawsuits in place, the quicker we can move on from this nightmare.

Pretty much this. The schools are petrified to death about lawsuits (as they should be). COVID is not a hoax. But we need to be guided by data. And the data says, unequivocally, that school age people are much more likely to die from regular influenza than by COVID. There is no option for eliminating risk in life. Somehow we have convinced people that it's possible to "stop the spread." People who are truly at the most risk should be the ones who are isolating and taking extreme precautions. But vast majority of Americans need to live their lives.

We have not been through it before, not this kind of thing, but keep dreaming and thinking you are good to go.
That's fair, this is a little different than anything we've encountered. BUT I also have no doubt that we completely blew it out of proportion due to it being an election year, and the cure has been significantly worse than the disease. You can believe whatever garbage is being peddled out there, but through my own research, doctors in the family, and friends who are doctors, my belief is that we have completely overreacted. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything within reason to try to protect long term care facilities, and other at risk demographics. But locking down the country hurt far more than it helped.

YES, another thread with a ton of people talking out of their ass.....Just what this board needs, thanks Fran!!!!

Iowa High School baseball and softball will be a litmus test to see what can happen with sports in the fall. The players are being scanned and tested on a daily basis. Being asked to socially distance and wear masks in and out of their practices/games. Yes, some schools have had to halt their season for the required 14 days. For some of the local teams, it was due to either a coach or parent of a player was the source that was positive. Just got to keep working through this in order to have any kind of sports in the fall.
Not being tested on a daily basis, yes we get our temperature taken. Looked across our field the other night and they aren’t even close to social distancing,,, I bet there are 10-12 times a practice where I as a coach am either showing a kid a skill and too close to him or using his bat or ball to show a skill or explain a coaching point. As time has gone on everyone including myself (who is at risk) go back to their old way of doing things,,,,,,I can’t wait till this experiment is over....

Testing is a huge problem in schools. It is what drives everything. ACT/ SAT are a false measuring stick.
So what is your plan for choosing the best and the brightest to go to the best colleges? Have to have some system to differentiate people from different high schools in different parts of the country. Please give us your ideas!

So what is your plan for choosing the best and the brightest to go to the best colleges? Have to have some system to differentiate people from different high schools in different parts of the country. Please give us your ideas!
TAKE IT TO THE OFF TOPIC BOARD

Problem is Iowa does not allow for teaching new concepts via home learning. Not sure how they change that in 70 days
This law changes July 1, so online learning can now be mandatory. I know our district is working to insure wifi access for all students to prepare for the worst. Over 20% of parents polled in our district refuse to send their kids back to school. This year will be a mess.

Which is why we're remote until there's a vaccine.

do you think someone at your work who didn't want to get the vaccine (especially if it was rushed out) would get to continue to work remotely or would they be fired. I am really curious about how all of this will go down.

TIA for your time in sharing your opinion.

do you think someone at your work who didn't want to get the vaccine (especially if it was rushed out) would get to continue to work remotely or would they be fired. I am really curious about how all of this will go down.

TIA for your time in sharing your opinion.
I don't think there would be mandatory vaccines and right now people have the option to work in the office. Its about keeping full depts from being out sick for weeks at a time.

This law changes July 1, so online learning can now be mandatory. I know our district is working to insure wifi access for all students to prepare for the worst. Over 20% of parents polled in our district refuse to send their kids back to school. This year will be a mess.

I agree, I teach and not sure I want my kids to go to school, but I will probably be required to attend, even though I am high risk category. I think this thing is real, but I also think we can all be ok as time goes on. Just saying F it go teach is kinda of crazy when not everyone will be there.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life247
I did as did every teacher in my school, pretty sure that the DOE made some exceptions for that to happen.
As the person stated above, the law for this to be required and legal goes into effect July 1st, so your district decided to do it, but it was not required. I did not know the legislature passed that, so that is good news moving forward.

That's fair, this is a little different than anything we've encountered. BUT I also have no doubt that we completely blew it out of proportion due to it being an election year, and the cure has been significantly worse than the disease. You can believe whatever garbage is being peddled out there, but through my own research, doctors in the family, and friends who are doctors, my belief is that we have completely overreacted. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything within reason to try to protect long term care facilities, and other at risk demographics. But locking down the country hurt far more than it helped.

I agree, but at the same time, I know Docs and nurses and researchers that say it is real and we should still social distance more, so now what? Everyone is spreading what they believe? I think this will be way worse once school starts and that each district will be in their own little mess.

I have no idea, maybe a paper or interview, project, class rank, but testing is what drives the instruction in schools, and that learning hardly ever is essential when you get to college or the field you choose. ACT/ SAT is a money grab for the test creators and legislators that use it to pass policy.

I don't think there would be mandatory vaccines and right now people have the option to work in the office. Its about keeping full depts from being out sick for weeks at a time.

Your company's policy is really interesting. So once you're all back at work if people start getting sick, couldn't you just have them switch back to remote working? I'm just thinking in broad hypotheticals. Say half a department has to isolate, would there then be an option to work from home while doing so instead of having to take sick time? Obviously if a person is severely ill that's a different scenario, but during mild cases I would think you could still maintain productivity if the employee wanted to take that route. If anything, I think the lockdown has opened a lot of doors in terms of working away from the workplace.

Was H1N1? Emanated in Mexico. No Border Closing. No Social Distancing. No Masks. Bogus Vaccine. No stoppage of sports at any level. Schools closed on their own. Where was the CDC then? What was Fauci doing at that time?

H1N1 is a strand of the influenza virus. It is what caused the flu pandemic in the early 1900s. There has been a vaccine for it and was given as soon as H1N1 became a problem, but it wasn't as easy to transmit person to person as COVID. COVID is a strand of SARS(not influenza). SARS was very easily transmittable in SE Asia, but it didn't go global because the virus didn't live very long outside the body and it was contained by people wearing mask and hand hygiene. COVID has been spreading like wildfire because it is active outside the body for hours or days on surfaces, unlike SARS. Biggest thing is, THERE IS NO VACCINE and no one has ever been exposed to it. This is similar situation as the Black Plague in Europe that killed 50+ million people. What stopped the Black Plague, better hygiene and quarantine. People need to stop listening to the opinion of newscasters and politicians. Every country in Europe has contained and decreased their COVID numbers, but the US didn't follow what was necessary to contain the virus and now we have to deal with the consequences. I'm a ICU RN and have to deal with this every workday and it is beyond frustrating listening to people whine about wearing mask or isolating from others. Way to many people worrying about making a buck or getting re-elected than the health of our elderly/minorities and children.

And what does a positive test mean? For this age group not much. A positive test and being sick are two very different things. These kids are not sitting at home picking their noses if the season gets paused for two weeks. They are not stopping anything by shutting down for 2 weeks.

And what does a positive test mean? For this age group not much. A positive test and being sick are two very different things. These kids are not sitting at home picking their noses if the season gets paused for two weeks. They are not stopping anything by shutting down for 2 weeks.
Positive test means you're ill, you just might not be showing symptoms. Asymptomatic people can have lung damage visible by imaging scans.

I agree, but at the same time, I know Docs and nurses and researchers that say it is real and we should still social distance more, so now what? Everyone is spreading what they believe? I think this will be way worse once school starts and that each district will be in their own little mess.
I'm not saying we should gather in large groups and riot in the street by any means. A happy medium between total shutdown, and hundreds of thousands in the streets would be a good start. I have actually been very careful out of respect for those who are at higher risk. I'm not saying we shouldn't be. But the full on shut down and destroy the economy thing has caused a lot of damage too.

Not being tested on a daily basis, yes we get our temperature taken. Looked across our field the other night and they aren’t even close to social distancing,,, I bet there are 10-12 times a practice where I as a coach am either showing a kid a skill and too close to him or using his bat or ball to show a skill or explain a coaching point. As time has gone on everyone including myself (who is at risk) go back to their old way of doing things,,,,,,I can’t wait till this experiment is over....

Correct, I should have temperature tested. The games that I have attended, the fans (each play got to bring 3 people) were mostly spread out. Our has boxes painted on the grass showing where each family can sit.
As for the players, it is hard to keep them separated. After a conference school had to suspend their season, the players were reminded to separate and ordered to wear their face covering while in the dugout. Last night, they were following that rule.

As the person stated above, the law for this to be required and legal goes into effect July 1st, so your district decided to do it, but it was not required. I did not know the legislature passed that, so that is good news moving forward.

I got you... I was going with required for the students but I get what you meant now. I can’t believe how well it worked for us

YES, another thread with a ton of people talking out of their ass.....Just what this board needs, thanks Fran!!!!
giphy.gif

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I wish someone could have seen all this coming. Covid Kim Reaper with another brilliant move.
Link to healthy high school baseball player dropping dead?

I find all of this interesting. Like college football players testing positive when they arrived on campus. Damn obvious they didn’t catch it from football but it seems to make people feel better if we cancel football.

Next year we learn to live with virus even if there is no vaccine because life will need to go on.

Link to healthy high school baseball player dropping dead?

I find all of this interesting. Like college football players testing positive when they arrived on campus. Damn obvious they didn’t catch it from football but it seems to make people feel better if we cancel football.

Next year we learn to live with virus even if there is no vaccine because life will need to go on.
I don’t think you’d find any Of the thousands killed from covid dropping dead, that’s not really how this works. The contention from the beginning was they would infect each other and those around them—you know, spread the virus.

I don’t think you’d find any Of the thousands killed from covid dropping dead, that’s not really how this works. The contention from the beginning was they would infect each other and those around them—you know, spread the virus.
And those at risk will need to adjust if there is no vaccine.

The problem is that one kid could have spread it to several players on his team and to players on other teams; those individuals could then spread it to their families, their communities, etc.

it will be interesting to see what the protocols are for when a D1 football player or players on ONE TEAM test positive. what happens? do only the players who test positive go into quarantine? or everyone he came in contact with (including coaches)?
The issue with this is that you are assuming of you take the team sport away that the contact and spread will not occur. I got news for you, these kids are hanging out together socially, team sports or not. This infection and spread would have happened anyway. The same thing goes with kids in school. If you keep the kids out of school they are still in contact with other kids at daycare or in their neighborhoods. Take sports away and kids still congregate with each other. Take bars away and kids still congregate at house parties. Yeah, scientists can come up with their social distancing models and this or that is what we need to do, but real life implementation is not achievable.

Time to just get on with life. The virus will spread, some will get sick, most will not. The elderly and at risk need to take precautions while this thing spreads through the population because there really is no stopping it.

The issue with this is that you are assuming of you take the team sport away that the contact and spread will not occur. I got news for you, these kids are hanging out together socially, team sports or not. This infection and spread would have happened anyway. The same thing goes with kids in school. If you keep the kids out of school they are still in contact with other kids at daycare or in their neighborhoods. Take sports away and kids still congregate with each other. Take bars away and kids still congregate at house parties. Yeah, scientists can come up with their social distancing models and this or that is what we need to do, but real life implementation is not achievable.

Time to just get on with life. The virus will spread, some will get sick, most will not. The elderly and at risk need to take precautions while this thing spreads through the population because there really is no stopping it.
Yup. It’s hilarious to think that stopping sports will help. These kids are not staying at home and they did not get it at practice. That goes for high school, college, and pro.

I fully expect the fear porn people to win this fall. Next year starting with track life will resume no matter what.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT