ADVERTISEMENT

50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach

Interesting discussion regarding this on MJ this AM. Sen. Klobacher spoke of the Above the rules” attitude many of these internet companies have and have displayed in previous appearances before the House and the Senate. They seem now worried about having a “Big Tobacco” moment before Congress...and Klobacher seemed to infer their lack of concern in the “Privacy” area May force this. She mentioned the “R” word as the real hammer government has to guarantee the right of privacy by the users if the internet.

Who clicks on online ads ?

I don’t think I ever have. I keep waiting for the bottom to drop out of that. Seems like a waste, I just assume they all are a window to a virus.

I google what I am looking for.

Define online ad. I run social media for a non-profit and all of our posts are basically ads. I set up events on Facebook, tweet links, etc. The online ads, in a traditional sense, are changing, but social media definitely allows for ads to be placed in-line....but generally, if we know the organization and it has credibility, we see it less as an ad and more as something we follow.

Interesting discussion regarding this on MJ this AM. Sen. Klobacher spoke of the Above the rules” attitude many of these internet companies have and have displayed in previous appearances before the House and the Senate. They seem now worried about having a “Big Tobacco” moment before Congress...and Klobacher seemed to infer their lack of concern in the “Privacy” area May force this. She mentioned the “R” word as the real hammer government has to guarantee the right of privacy by the users if the internet.

Social media is a tricky space. Facebook has a lot of data on me, but most of it I voluntarily posted. When I post, I post voluntarily. When I use Facebook to authenticate, I'm making that choice and clicking through the screen that tells me the 3rd party will have read-access to my profile and friends list. Facebook is obviously going to track my activity.

Twitter does the same thing. Instagram does as well (I know, Facebook product). Tumblr, SnapChat, WhatsApp, Kik, Tinder....all these apps do the same thing. It's a tradeoff. We want to log in and get a view of things we care about. Look at Google. There are private browser windows and other services that will give you privacy, but while I use those from time to time, I generally have a better experience with Google. Why? Because it learns what I search for and what kinds of links I generally go to and it presents me with a better package of results.

In this case, Facebook needs to review it's policies and processes for getting access to profile data and re-evaluate to make sure they have good processes in place, but a big part of this is also Cambridge Analytics grossly misusing the data they had access to. We'll see where this goes, but I've seen a lot of overly dramatic people talking on TV about how this is some brand new evil in the world. We've been making this trade for a couple decades now.

ADVERTISEMENT