ADVERTISEMENT

6:00 left, first QT

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
Here is a prime example of why I have a hard time throwing massive amounts of blame on BF. This kind of stuff has been happening all year (and previous years) but this was a good example and BF finally lost it. Also, sorry couldnt find the full game uploaded online or else I would add the video.

We are sitting on a 3rd and 7 at our own 45ish. Have a double TE set on the short side and are running a hi-lo combo route. Spencer loos that way right away and the defense jumps LaPorta on the under route leaving Lachey wide open on the over route. SP chooses the correct option to throw but misses the target by about 5 yards over his head. Not a terribly tough throw even with the wind Saturday. Would have been a nice 15-20 yard gain and a new set of downs. SP heads to the bench and you catch a small glimpse of BF heading over to chew him out.

You can have a great game plan and plays called, but the players make the plays,...or don't. Of course BF gets the majority of the heat, but he is down on the list past SP and the OL for the first 6 games.

Here is a prime example of why I have a hard time throwing massive amounts of blame on BF. This kind of stuff has been happening all year (and previous years) but this was a good example and BF finally lost it. Also, sorry couldnt find the full game uploaded online or else I would add the video.

We are sitting on a 3rd and 7 at our own 45ish. Have a double TE set on the short side and are running a hi-lo combo route. Spencer loos that way right away and the defense jumps LaPorta on the under route leaving Lachey wide open on the over route. SP chooses the correct option to throw but misses the target by about 5 yards over his head. Not a terribly tough throw even with the wind Saturday. Would have been a nice 15-20 yard gain and a new set of downs. SP heads to the bench and you catch a small glimpse of BF heading over to chew him out.

You can have a great game plan and plays called, but the players make the plays,...or don't. Of course BF gets the majority of the heat, but he is down on the list past SP and the OL for the first 6 games.
Another credit to BF is play calling that lead to KJ TD run. First play of second half was rollout that ended with incomplete pass. Second play same set up but hand off to KJ. The Purdue De/LB went straight to Petras , KJ made a good move on LB and made it all the way

It is college football, guys are going to miss some throws and drop some passes. SP has been consistently hitting guys in the chest the last two weeks. Good coordinators find a way to score points with what they have. Brian appears to have had two pretty good weeks of game planning. Overall, he still has a lot to prove to show he can be a quality coordinator.

Who is responsible for playing the worst qb in football? Brian Ferentz is.

Who is responsible for playing the worst qb in football? Brian Ferentz is.

You can’t state who is responsible for something without stating “to whom”.

BF is responsible to KF for it. KF is responsible to Barta for it. Barta is responsible to U of I prez for it. And so on.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
Your schtick is old. I’m by no means a supporter of Brian, but you bitch and moan about him or Kirk in every thread.

Yes @Dargo is consistently here to tell us he hates BF and KF and he realizes at this point him being a fan is hurting him and us!

He is one of about 30, 40 that are constantly reminding us how miserable they are about our awful coaches

Last edited:
Yes @Dargo is consistently here to tell us he hates BF and KF and he realizes at this point him being a fan is hurting him and us!

He is one of about 30, 40 that are constantly reminding us how miserable they are about our awful coaches
Needs to root for a team that plays the way he likes them to play.
Kirk and Brian will never make him happy. Even when they win.

Reactions: cmhawks99
It is college football, guys are going to miss some throws and drop some passes. SP has been consistently hitting guys in the chest the last two weeks. Good coordinators find a way to score points with what they have. Brian appears to have had two pretty good weeks of game planning. Overall, he still has a lot to prove to show he can be a quality coordinator.
Against good competition.

Reactions: frydaze

It is even worse over at Black Heart Gold Pants. 90% of the posters and most of the "writers" have lost their ****ing minds.

I imagine all of them are at least two times divorced because they told their wives how imperfect they are daily.

Brian Ferentz started the Great Chicago Fire and likely also had a heavy hand in the Holocaust.”

Sincerely,

Half of Hawkeye Nation

This thread is actually great. Real fans do not constantly attack the coaches and players. They do not seek to minimize accomplishments, e.g. winning a 3 TD ass kicking at Purdue in a game the bitter enders said Iowa would lose before it was played-predicting a blow out the other way all week long. They do not call the coaches vile names. Losing sucks but Iowa is less than a full season removed from a 10 reg season win, Division champs and literally 1 play away from an 11-win season. Judged by the metrics of the last SIXTY-ONE years of Iowa football is an outstanding season. Three games out featuring the worst offense since probably KF's first season Iowa is still in the hunt for the Division title. Of course, the bitter enders diminish Division titles by saying we play in the worst Division in football.

They don't come up with outright lies about the coaches e.g. the continuing lies and distortions about the Jake C/Stanzi QB competition, the BB junior season and the CJ/Jake R competition. These are not the words and thoughts of "fans" which is short for "fanatics". The are those clinging to disappointment to the very bitter end. Nothing is never enough, no win big enough, no season sufficiently successful to avoid the snark, sarcasm and negativity.

Why do the Dargos of the world even bother to watch or care? They hate the coaches, hate the QB, hate the game plan. Miserable, soulless ghouls. These are the people who spent their childhood Christmases walking past the new pony to search for the pile of horse shit. Or changed the party music from Highway to Hell to Cats in the Cradle just as things start getting wild. Utter drags.​

Last edited:

I started this trend two weeks ago. Brian isn’t as bad as Spencer has made him look. Not sure how I feel about him getting another year, however.

Iowa has been horrible offensively for all of BF's tenure. Don't blame it all on SP. Don't judge 2 games against horrible defenses as "looking good".

Iowa has been horrible offensively for all of BF's tenure. Don't blame it all on SP. Don't judge 2 games against horrible defenses as "looking good".

I'm beginning to feel sorry/pity for guys like you. You waste your lives rooting for a team that may never live up to your national championship expectations. Years and years of bitterness about a game played mostly by kids. That's football.

Reactions: rrsteffe
I’m not a fan of calling for coaches’ jobs in general, but IMO we’re long past the point of bringing BF back. He now has a 5-6-year track record of mostly mediocre to horrible offensive production, to the point where the Iowa offense is a punch line nationally and Iowa’s nepotism issues are similarly known nationwide.

He has had plenty of time to build a resume and the results are definitively poor, a few good games notwithstanding. Keeping him as OC would make recruiting offensive skill players even harder going forward.

I hope the Hawks win out and I wish BF well, but I think both parties would be better off parting ways after this season, and I think it would be unwise and short-sighted to allow a few more productive games at the end of this season against mediocre opponents to change that decision. Time to move on.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to feel sorry/pity for guys like you. You waste your lives rooting for a team that may never live up to your national championship expectations. Years and years of bitterness about a game played mostly by kids. That's football.
You falsely make the assumption that Hawk football is the center of attention in my life. It is only a little something that I would like to see improved.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
What do you mean by two games against horrible defenses? Purdue is ranked #38 in total defense and #61 in scoring defense. An above average total defense and an average scoring defense. NW is #83 and #82 in both categories which is below average, not horrible. The Big 12 has 5 teams ranked lower than NW and 4 of them are ranked 100 or lower. And Purdue is ranked two spots lower than Baylor the second best defense in the Big 12. We played the best defense by far in ISU in the Big 12.

As the rankings stand now in total defense we will have played, by the end of the season, the top 2, 3 of the top 6, and 5 of the top 10. With Wisc and Rutgers we will have played 7 of the top 25. We will play one team in the bottom 25 in total defense and none in the bottom 10. You know like Arizona and Colorado giving up 473 and 483 yds per game. Add to that ASU, Cal, and Stanford all ranked below 100 in total defense and NW is not horrible.

We need to play truly horrible defenses like 5 of the bottom 10 to see what we can do offensively to even out our schedule. Additionally we need to let our defense ease up so we are not beating teams by 20+ points and shut down our offense in the 3rd quarter.

Last year we played Wisc #1 in total defense, Minn #4, ISU #10, Mich #12, Kentucky #26, Purdue #31, PSU #35, Illinois #50, and Neb #51. 9 of 14 games we played a top 51 defense. We played 1 in the bottom 26 who we ran up 418 yds on and beat by 3 TD. Last year Kent State had the #5 Offense in the nation at 493 yds per game yet mustered 264 and 7 points against Iowa. The Wisc and Minn bowl games last year show how defenses impact offenses. ASU against Wisc got 219 total yds or 183 below their average before the bowl game. West Virginia got 206 total yards or 179 below their season average. The Big 10 usually has good to great defenses as does ISU.

When looking at an offense we also need to look at the defense they are playing.

Last edited:
This thread is actually great. Real fans do not constantly attack the coaches and players. They do not seek to minimize accomplishments, e.g. winning a 3 TD ass kicking of Purdue on the road in a game the bitter enders said Iowa would lose before it was played-predicting a blow out the other way all week long. They do not call the coaches vile names. Losing sucks but Iowa is less than a full season removed from a 10 reg season win, Division champs and literally 1 play away from an 11-win season. Judged by the metrics of the last SIXTY-ONE years of Iowa football is an outstanding season. Three games out featuring the worst offense since probably KF's first season Iowa is still in the hunt for the Division title. Of course, the bitter enders diminish Division titles by saying we play in the worst Division in football.

They don't come up with outright lies about the coaches e.g. the continuing lies and distortions about the Jake C/Stanzi QB competition, the BB junior season and the CJ/Jake R competition. These are not the words and thoughts of "fans" which is short for "fanatics". The are those clinging to disappointment to the very bitter end.
Nothing is never enough, no win big enough, no season sufficiently successful to avoid the snark, sarcasm and negativity.

Why do the Dargos of the world even bother to watch or care? They hate the coaches, hate the QB, hate the game plan. Miserable, soulless ghouls. These are the people who spent their childhood Christmases walking past the new pony on Christmas to search for the pile of horse shit. Or changed the party music to Cats in the Cradle just as things start getting wild in HS. Utter drags.​
They are really Neb. fans on our site....They love the attention.

I don't agree that it is a "prime" example.

Every offense in the country has blown plays, blocking mistakes, turnovers, penalties. If you have a Top 40 offense, fans don't yell at the OC when someone drops a pass.

But after so many years of lousy offenses, and then 2022 comes along and the offense is epically bad - yeah, the OC is going to take a lot of heat.

I started this trend two weeks ago. Brian isn’t as bad as Spencer has made him look. Not sure how I feel about him getting another year, however.
Yes multiple things can be true at the same time. It may be time to get a new OC, and it could be that the Iowa offense would be better with a different QB. This board will be quite interesting if Iowa plays at least passably on offense the next 3 weeks and wins out. Even better, if Illinois loses to Purdue and Michigan, and Iowa wins the West. There would be a somewhat significant portion of the fan base that will still be mad as hell.

Yes multiple things can be true at the same time. It may be time to get a new OC, and it could be that the Iowa offense would be better with a different QB. This board will be quite interesting if Iowa plays at least passably on offense the next 3 weeks and wins out. Even better, if Illinois loses to Purdue and Michigan, and Iowa wins the West. There would be a somewhat significant portion of the fan base that will still be mad as hell.
If they win 8 regular season games and actually score a TD or two on the title game AND win a bowl game, you keep Brian I think. Even then, as you said, people will still bitch.

There may be some curmudgeons who remain “mad as hell”. Some folks allow their disdain to cloud their thinking, no doubt.

I suspect the majority of Iowa fans look at our offense under BF more objectively. The fact is that he has had half a decade to prove himself as an OC without any prior experience as an OC and the “body of work”, to use a favorite KF phrase, is objectively poor. Then you also have the nepotism controversy and race allegations hanging over BF’s head to complicate matters further.

I think most Iowa fans want the Hawks to finish the season strong but also recognize that our offensive experiment under BF was a bad idea in the first place and needs to be rectified by a change in OC. It’s entirely possible to hold both of those beliefs at the same time. Regardless of any further success this season (and let’s face it — our defense and special teams will again have to lead the way if we’re going to have such success), Iowa has settled on offense long enough and needs new blood (literally) at OC.

Last edited:
If they win 8 regular season games and actually score a TD or two on the title game AND win a bowl game, you keep Brian I think. Even then, as you said, people will still bitch.
I think this would be an extremely misguided and short-sighted decision. It’s asking for trouble. The inevitable offensive struggles will only bring more charges of nepotism and we’re back to where we started. BF has proven that he isn’t capable of leading anything resembling a prolific offense.

KF would be wise to help him find an NFL job and rid his program of continued controversy — not to mention recruiting problems. Until Iowa changes its OC, other programs will bludgeon them to recruits and their parents about how Iowa’s offense is quite literally a joke, and they’ll do so successfully. The last thing the Iowa offense needs is even more trouble finding talent at WR.

If you have an employee that is one of the worst in his trade, for 5 consecutive yrs, do you keep that employee? Do you give him additional duties?

99% would have parted ways 2 yrs ago.

Reactions: onionman1
I think this would be an extremely misguided and short-sighted decision. It’s asking for trouble. The inevitable offensive struggles will only bring more charges of nepotism and we’re back to where we started. BF has proven that he isn’t capable of leading anything resembling a prolific offense.

KF would be wise to help him find an NFL job and rid his program of continued controversy — not to mention recruiting problems. Until Iowa changes its OC, other programs will bludgeon them to recruits and their parents about how Iowa’s offense is quite literally a joke, and they’ll do so successfully. The last thing the Iowa offense needs is even more trouble finding talent at WR.
I’ll wait and see how the rest of the year turns out. All I’m saying is that if Iowa keeps this pace on offense, I won’t be throwing a fit if Brian stays. I also won’t blame others if they get upset.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
BF has had a few really good games and a lot of mediocre offenses. The fact that we've had mediocre offenses for pretty much all of KF's tenure, along with an understanding of KF's naturally conservative nature tells me most of what I need to know. Both Kirk and Brian want to cling a little too stubbornly to NFL concepts. Kirk with the zone blocking and overall pro-style offense and Brian with his Patriots TE-centric offense. Throw in the amount of decision making he expects the players to make and you have an offense that is not best suited for a situation where you never have a player longer than 5 years and many aren't ready to see the field until their 2nd or 3rd year.

I think we expect too much from these kids. Our blocking scheme is complicated and requires the players to be perfectly in sync. All O line play is that way, but ours even more so. We expect our QBs to be coaches on the field, and we expect the WR's to make the same pre-snap reads as the QB. Further, we don't do much to keep defenses on their toes, we try to simply out-execute them. Again, expecting near perfection from players when we exchange parts of the team every season.

The only thing that's unique to Brian is the Patriots TE-centric offense. That should be a good fit given the incredible TE's we've had over the years. Strangely enough, our TE recruiting really hasn't been very good since the season we had two TEs drafted in the first round. That's a real head-scratcher for me and it's definitely hurt our offense and Brian's reputation.

What compounds it is a defense that's world class. It's really hard not to look at our defense, then over to the offense and think "if only...".

What I don't understand is that this problem isn't new. Yes, we've had some very good, even great seasons. But the "if only..." creeps into your head and you look at the offense. It seems pretty clear where the issues are: complexity and dependance upon near-perfect execution. To me the answer seems simple. I'd be looking at programs (it would have to be B1G programs I think, since we have weather-related limitations on style) that have success....especially with playing younger players in prominent roles....and see what they're doing. Many teams can put a true freshman QB out there and have success, yet we seem to barely have them ready after 3 years.

I think this team needs to at least make a sincere effort to analyze the offensive strategy. It may be as simple as switching to a "look at me" play adjustment combined with plays/play calling that keeps defenses guessing more.

I'm no football guru....but it's clear our offensive strategy is below average and is holding the program back. This comes from a 20+ year body of work over several different OC's. It's crazy to me that KF doesn't look at that and think "Gee, we should really reconsider what we're doing on offense".

This is Brian's 6th year running the offense and it's really weird to see some fans handwaving away blame to him just because we beat two bad teams in a now-meaningless season.
Statistically, our offense has decreased every year under his tenure. This goes beyond "it's just complimentary Kirkball". It's 2022 and a program like Iowa should not have the worst statistical OC-QB combo in the nation. I don't care if our OL is a sieve because it's obvious that needs to be worked out too, but that all starts from the top.
Brian needs to go. Petras needs to go. The OL coach needs to go.

It is even worse over at Black Heart Gold Pants. 90% of the posters and most of the "writers" have lost their ****ing minds.

Really, that’s to bad. I haven’t ever read it consistently, but it’s satirical out put was pretty solid. But the constant complaining is too much!

I’ll wait and see how the rest of the year turns out. All I’m saying is that if Iowa keeps this pace on offense, I won’t be throwing a fit if Brian stays. I also won’t blame others if they get upset.
This is kind of the problem. Y'all cling too much on the Ohio State game from 5 years ago and now beating Purdue for the second time in 6 years and are now giving Brian a pass. He has made Iowa a laughing stock. We need to move on after this year.

If, if if.........it would simply mean that the West doesn't have a very good team and Iowa still has a poor offense and only a good team, not real good or excellent. There is a glaring problem that is ignored.

This is kind of the problem. Y'all cling too much on the Ohio State game from 5 years ago and now beating Purdue for the second time in 6 years and are now giving Brian a pass. He has made Iowa a laughing stock. We need to move on after this year.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don’t skip over the first part of that sentence. That’s also a problem on these boards. People completely skip over the qualifiers. I’ve set parameters a couple times in this thread. My opinion would NOT be based on one game.

Some reasonable takes in this thread. I am not on a soapbox at all for BF keeping his job but we do have to look at all the aspects. At the end of the day KF runs a conservative offense with a Brad Banks outlier.

Previous rankings
1999 - ?? (Ken O'Keefe)
2000 - 104/116 (Ken O'Keefe)
2001 - 45/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2002 - 13/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2003 - 92/117 (Ken O'Keefe)
2004 - 104/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2005 - 22/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2006 - 27/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2007 - 109/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2008 - 53/119 (Ken O'Keefe)
2009 - 89/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2010 - 57/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2011 - 76/120 (Ken O'Keefe)
2012 - 117/124 (Greg Davis)
2013 - 84/125 (Greg Davis)
2014 - 66/128 (Greg Davis)
2015 - 72/128 (Greg Davis)
2016 - 121/128 (Greg Davis)

BFs tenure

YearIowa points per gameNational Rank
201925.8t-88

If, if if.........it would simply mean that the West doesn't have a very good team and Iowa still has a poor offense and only a good team, not real good or excellent. There is a glaring problem that is ignored.
Who is ignoring the problem? You are really proving the point. You are pretty much implying that we shouldn't be happy or have any joy whatsoever even if they somehow managed to win the division. Anything short of national championship is "glaring problem" level.

Who is ignoring the problem? You are really proving the point. You are pretty much implying that we shouldn't be happy or have any joy whatsoever even if they somehow managed to win the division. Anything short of national championship is "glaring problem" level.
You are good at erroneously jumping to conclusions. I enjoyed Iowa beating Purdue. That doesn't mean that Iowa is a great team or that Iowa has solved its big problems (nepotism and a horrible offense). I take pleasure in victories and still want to see the ship righted. Both can mutually exist.

Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT