ADVERTISEMENT

6 B1G schools are 100% online, but no sports in Iowa???

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
No real message here, just wondering why.... And that is, why are the Iowa school districts that choose to go to online classrooms, vs hybrid, being punished by the IHSAA??? The state board needs to override these IHSAA jokers and give these kids a chance.
The governor should immediately step in a say enough is enough. If she doesn't have the authority, then the state congress should step in. Seriously, WTH?

Doing anything outdoors is exponentially safer than doing anything indoors, If contagion is truly the issue....?

The handful of jokers that run IHSAA need to be cut down. Immediately. This is frustratingly absurd...and that's just for me. Not the kids.

Anyhow... #FreeArlandBruce !!!

Last edited:
No real message here, just wondering why.... And that is, why are the Iowa school districts that choose to go to online classrooms, vs hybrid, being punished by the IHSAA??? The state board needs to override these IHSAA jokers and give these kids a chance.
The governor should immediately step in a say enough is enough. If she doesn't have the authority, then the state congress should step in. Seriously, WTH?

Doing anything outdoors is exponentially safer than doing anything indoors, If contagion is truly the issue....?

The handful of jokers that run IHSAA need to be cut down. Immediately. This is frustratingly absurd...and that's just for me. Not the kids.

Anyhow... #FreeArlandBruce !!!
It is the governor who said that schools that go online cannot play.

And questions like these are why I believe you will see lawsuits....some students that want to be on campus at those universities are going to say, “hey....wait a minute....so you’re charging me full tuition, but it’s too dangerous so I have to go online....but the football team can still practice?!”

To be clear I 100% believe that we should be very judicious about this. And if anything I’m guessing playing football is in the wrong not schools going online.

I just don’t get logically how your position can be different between the two

If I am not mistaken, online classes are for schools above the 10% positivity rate within the school district so that is why you have some online. DMPS is not even trying to have class in person regardless of the positivity rate which is crazy since the kids in those schools need the structure the most. Or come up with a hybrid model so kids that need to be in class - elementary and special needs can get their needed structure and social, and meals since most need the meals throughout the day. I think the superintendent is being very combative and not putting the kids best interest at heart by having in person school when it is going fine in the rest of the metro.

If I am not mistaken, online classes are for schools above the 10% positivity rate within the school district so that is why you have some online. DMPS is not even trying to have class in person regardless of the positivity rate which is crazy since the kids in those schools need the structure the most. Or come up with a hybrid model so kids that need to be in class - elementary and special needs can get their needed structure and social, and meals since most need the meals throughout the day. I think the superintendent is being very combative and not putting the kids best interest at heart by having in person school when it is going fine in the rest of the metro.
It’s 15%, not 10% and it has to be approved by the state. Des Moines and Iowa City made no attempt.

I was very confused by the DMPS decision making process, but I am out in the suburbs and don’t pay that close attention. The last couple days I realized how much of a liberal activist their superintendent and his wife are, so now it makes a lot more sense. it’s frustrating when people can’t put personal feelings aside. Hundreds of at risk kids are really getting screwed over.

I was very confused by the DMPS decision making process, but I am out in the suburbs and don’t pay that close attention. The last couple days I realized how much of a liberal activist their superintendent and his wife are, so now it makes a lot more sense. it’s frustrating when people can’t put personal feelings aside. Hundreds of at risk kids are really getting screwed over.

It is sad that the kids that need the most help aren’t getting it with the Superintendent refusing to consider anything but virtual. They’d be better off with the previous superintendent, even though she was a sexual deviant in the bedroom based upon the emails made public when she was transitioning to Omaha in the same position but think they fired her before even starting.

The schools that are online are claiming science. If you are scared to be in school, you can’t say activities are safe. This isn’t hard.

There’s an easy fix. Stop being stupid about in person school.
But if Kim says it's safe to be in school why is she penalizing athletes? She says it's no big deal.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Kids in Des Moines need structure more than all others in Iowa?

Reactions: Hammer93
It’s 15%, not 10% and it has to be approved by the state. Des Moines and Iowa City made no attempt.
Disagree on Iowa City. At the time school started, Johnson county was a shit show. The numbers have gone down significantly and now they’re going to a hybrid on Sept. 28...one week earlier than the waiver they requested, which was approved. It seems they did things right. I’ve got nothing for Des Moines as Im not sure what they’re doing or looking at.

She's not punishing athletes, she enforcing all the rules. These schools can't pick and choose which rules they want to follow or not.
She's not punishing athletes by not allowing them to play? She's just as hypocritical as the schools would be if they played. And immature on top of it....

She's not punishing athletes, she enforcing all the rules. These schools can't pick and choose which rules they want to follow or not.

The rules she arbitrarily came up with on her own despite what experts in epidemiology were recommending. Sorry if a lot of Iowans don’t respect the opinion of a partisan governor that took decades to complete her undergraduate degree in between her DUI charges.

The rules she arbitrarily came up with on her own despite what experts in epidemiology were recommending. Sorry if a lot of Iowans don’t respect the opinion of a partisan governor that took decades to complete her undergraduate degree in between her DUI charges.

Someone with that background has been able to navigate this crisis very well. It was really easy to not **** up, yet many idiots insist on doing it.

She's not punishing athletes by not allowing them to play? She's just as hypocritical as the schools would be if they played. And immature on top of it....
Not going to school and not being eligible to play has been a rule since at least 2002

If you didn't know, that's been a rule for many years. And it's not just athletes, it's any extracurriculars.

the legislature voted last spring and all parties agreed 100%. Also you think in person is not safe, neither are activities. It's the school boards that are to blame as niether wanted anything to do with a plan.

Iowa City sued, and lost. However, I don't get why you say we made no attempt. We were actually approved for a waiver for the first two weeks and another two weeks after. We aren't breaking any of the rules that were established.

Okay, but is sitting in a classroom with 35 kids for 45-50 minutes the same as playing a sport outside? There needs to be an exception to the rule, in my opinion. Plus, the kids have zero say in what the school district does. They came to a school board meeting in an attwmpt to convince them to not extend the waiver.

School is online which they attend. Are all kids forced to do in person learning if they want to play?

There are kids all over the state that attend online school in non-pandemic times and nobody says anything. Many in rural schools.

Okay, but is sitting in a classroom with 35 kids for 45-50 minutes the same as playing a sport outside? There needs to be an exception to the rule, in my opinion. Plus, the kids have zero say in what the school district does. They came to a school board meeting in an attwmpt to convince them to not extend the waiver.

It's not just athletes, it's all extra curriculars. So no, if you can't have in person classes, you can't have drama, you can't have choir, no math or science club, no sports, etc.

The school has to have the option for in person classes. If no option exists for in person, it's obviously not safe enough for extra curriculars. This isn't that complicated.
Kim is punishing athletes because others disagree with her. Not hard to figure out ;)

Reactions: cohawk
Kim is punishing athletes because others disagree with her. Not hard to figure out ;)
How can you think that? This isn't hard, if you don't feel it's safe to have any in person option, it's not safe enough to bring those same kids in for extracurriculars. That includes play practice, band, choir, science club, weightlifting, lockeroom use, volleyball, diving, robotics, etc

If you didn't know, that's been a rule for many years. And it's not just athletes, it's any extracurriculars.
Doesn’t apply to home schoolers.

Edit: And heaven forbid we come to a compromise during an unprecedented global pandemic. That’s too nuanced for hammering Kim when everything’s a nail.

You know not every student wants to be 100% online school, probably a vast majority want normal life back.
So let’s penalize them over this pettiness. Sounds about right.

Last edited:

Edit: And heaven forbid we come to a compromise during an unprecedented global pandemic. That’s too nuanced for hammering Kim when everything’s a nail.

You know not every student wants to be 100% online school, probably a vast majority want normal life back.
How many times does it need explained to your crowd? If the school feels it's not safe enough to have in person classes, no way can they feel it's safe enough for extracurriculars. They can't be in a classroom between 8:00 - 3:00, but come 3:30 lockerrooms, weight rooms, labs, band rooms, they're all fine?

It's not just athletes, it's all extra curriculars. So no, if you can't have in person classes, you can't have drama, you can't have choir, no math or science club, no sports, etc.

I know, but I think there could be a difference in the rules for golf, XC and football as outdoor sports. Statistics and science say you aren't getting it outside. Football *could* be the only one to look at with close contact for the lines.

I honestly can’t get my head in a space where it makes sense to have a public entity that is trying to inhibit exposure by providing distance instruction while simultaneously facilitating exposure through mass gatherings such as sporting events, practices, etc.

My kids’ school is in a hybrid model, and I’m mostly pleased with that. I don’t know why it is seemingly BAU with sports though. I would probably FEEL differently if I cared very much about kids sports.

Des Moines Public Schools is the the only district that is currently not in compliant with state law.

Think about that. 350 plus districts in the state did their job by creating a plan to allow students to attend in person classes if they chose to do so. At present, DMPS is the only district that isn’t complying with state law.

Kids in Des Moines need structure more than all others in Iowa?

No, all need the structure and in person schooling associated with being at that school building - breakfast, lunch, special needs kids getting the help they desperately need, socializing in the classroom and outside of it as well. Add in all the activities that these kids participate in on a daily bases. And what is the DMPS super and board doing? Going against the law as the only district that won’t do in person class or a hybrid since they are below the 15% positivity rate. They are doing more harm than good to the kids by not having them in school which allows them to do all activities. Truly sad.

How can you think that? This isn't hard, if you don't feel it's safe to have any in person option, it's not safe enough to bring those same kids in for extracurriculars. That includes play practice, band, choir, science club, weightlifting, lockeroom use, volleyball, diving, robotics, etc
Well the opposite applies right???
If it is safe to sit indoors all day long then kim should feel it's safe for them to be outdoors for a few hours.

If you can't see both sides hypocrisy then so be it....

Well the opposite applies right???
If it is safe to sit indoors all day long then kim should feel it's safe for them to be outdoors for a few hours.

If you can't see both sides hypocrisy then so be it....
That's exactly the point....im not sure you understand who's point you're reinforcing.

This is one messed up year.

There is hypocrisy all over the place here. The governor is penalizing these kids. Period

ADVERTISEMENT