ADVERTISEMENT

6 B1G schools are 100% online, but no sports in Iowa???

If I am not mistaken, online classes are for schools above the 10% positivity rate within the school district so that is why you have some online. DMPS is not even trying to have class in person regardless of the positivity rate which is crazy since the kids in those schools need the structure the most. Or come up with a hybrid model so kids that need to be in class - elementary and special needs can get their needed structure and social, and meals since most need the meals throughout the day. I think the superintendent is being very combative and not putting the kids best interest at heart by having in person school when it is going fine in the rest of the metro.

DMPS has switched to a hybrid model and it is being implemented... But that takes time to prepare for. It can't be done overnight... That is why they are starting a few grades at a time...
Yet the governor won't let them play!?

DMPS has switched to a hybrid model and it is being implemented... But that takes time to prepare for. It can't be done overnight... That is why they are starting a few grades at a time...
It's almost like they should have started planning prior to the school year...like every other school in the state.

Reactions: D-Ram
How much time do they need?

You tell me?? I would assume quite a bit. The lack of direction from the state is horrific. We are in Johnston. They had months to work on this, and the system is definitely not good. That is for certain. Everything seems rushed to the point of confusion.

The whole thing is ridiculous. If fhe state medical board says it is safe to play. Then let the kids be kids. Don't throw some damned rule and block them from enjoying their limited once in a lifetime opportunity, while the parents and politicians have an argument....

You tell me?? I would assume quite a bit. The lack of direction from the state is horrific. We are in Johnston. They had months to work on this, and the system is definitely not good. That is for certain. Everything seems rushed to the point of confusion.

The whole thing is ridiculous. If fhe state medical board says it is safe to play. Then let the kids be kids. Don't throw some damned rule and block them from enjoying their limited once in a lifetime opportunity, while the parents and politicians have an argument....
Why is it up to the state. Almost all schools are in-person in some way, enough to play. Why can’t DM schools go in-person.

Also, plenty of schools were able to successfully implement online learning. It’s not the fault of the state a particular school district couldn’t get it together.

Reactions: Fran_Man
Why is it up to the state. Almost all schools are in-person in some way, enough to play. Why can’t DM schools go in-person.

Also, plenty of schools were able to successfully implement online learning. It’s not the fault of the state a particular school district couldn’t get it together.
Iowa City seems to make it work when they get what they want. If they don't it seems to be mass confusion and the states fault.

Reactions: Fran_Man

Should schools be able to pick and choose what they listen to the state medical board about?

The rules she arbitrarily came up with on her own despite what experts in epidemiology were recommending. Sorry if a lot of Iowans don’t respect the opinion of a partisan governor that took decades to complete her undergraduate degree in between her DUI charges.
Guy complains about a rule that’s been in place since 2002 because because of our “partisan” governor.
Same poster doesn’t care that the furthest left districts in the state are using kids as pawns because they don’t like the governor.

DMPS played politics. Took advantage of minority students and poor students that don’t have the advantage of parents to homeschool them. And you’re mad at the governor because she’s a republican.

The rules she arbitrarily came up with on her own despite what experts in epidemiology were recommending. Sorry if a lot of Iowans don’t respect the opinion of a partisan governor that took decades to complete her undergraduate degree in between her DUI charges.
You my friend are a moron, no offense. But you don't even appear to be a nice moron....

Sounds like someone has a crush on the Gov.......

I was very confused by the DMPS decision making process, but I am out in the suburbs and don’t pay that close attention. The last couple days I realized how much of a liberal activist their superintendent and his wife are, so now it makes a lot more sense. it’s frustrating when people can’t put personal feelings aside. Hundreds of at risk kids are really getting screwed over.

Take the political BS elsewhere. The virus kills people. I know someone it killed. Liberal activist mean they aren't an moron.

How can you think that? This isn't hard, if you don't feel it's safe to have any in person option, it's not safe enough to bring those same kids in for extracurriculars. That includes play practice, band, choir, science club, weightlifting, lockeroom use, volleyball, diving, robotics, etc

No it's about her trying to force the reopening of all schools and to use sports as leverage to do so. Apparently it's backfired.

Take the political BS elsewhere. The virus kills people. I know someone it killed. Liberal activist mean they aren't an moron.

This is true. I had to move the rotting corpses of a half dozen 4th graders when I took my kids to school today.

I’m not taking the political BS elsewhere when it’s the sole reason for his decision. Every other school is making it work.

This is true. I had to move the rotting corpses of a half dozen 4th graders when I took my kids to school today.

I’m not taking the political BS elsewhere when it’s the sole reason for his decision. Every other school is making it work.
You are correct sir.
New COVID-19 survival rates per CDC:

0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70 & over: 94.6%

Deaths with cv-94%. Deaths from cv-6% per cdc.

No it's about her trying to force the reopening of all schools and to use sports as leverage to do so. Apparently it's backfired.
Backfired for who? Who's winning? No one, but I can tell you who is losing, the students.

What reason can you give that a school should be able to hold extra cirriculars if they feel its not safe enough to hold classes?

You are correct sir.
New COVID-19 survival rates per CDC:

0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70 & over: 94.6%

Deaths with cv-94%. Deaths from cv-6% per cdc.

And here it is direct from the CDC report, released Sept 10, if anyone questions the validity of the above rates

Rules both associations also support. Anyways, why doesn’t DMPS open then parents choose full online for their kids. They’d meeting requirements, school is open and the parents chose online.

ADVERTISEMENT