ADVERTISEMENT

6 minute football practice video on hawkcentral; thoughts

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021
One thing I saw early in the video was in 11 offensive player formations and passing plays the running back went out for passes EVERY time. I think they might try to get 5 receivers out on pass plays a lot more than keeping a TEnd and a RBack in to block. I think that is great for it the pass blocking is good the qb can look for bigger deeper routes and then check down but if the pass blocking is not as good there will probably be a quick checkdown for catch and YAC.

I also watched the QBs in passing drills and Marco #11 looked on target , Hill #10 was OK but still high and behind on a couple of throws, didnt focus on other qbs.

I saw the QBs were doing rollout drills in both directions. Not sure if this is new but good to see so as to get more motion and variation in the passing formations and situations.

From the clip I had seen it looks scary as the QBs were throwing an out and the WR got their hands on the balls every time but unfortunately a lot of drops. Not saying every throw was perfect, but they should have caught 90% of the ones they dropped. Not good!

From the clip I had seen it looks scary as the QBs were throwing an out and the WR got their hands on the balls every time but unfortunately a lot of drops. Not saying every throw was perfect, but they should have caught 90% of the ones they dropped. Not good!
You know I was looking at the QB's number and the throw but not concentrating on the catches. That is bad news and I will rewatch the video.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Anyone else notice the caption on the video on the upper left?
"Iowa OL Making Progress This Spring" is what mine is. Weren't we told that all last season, despite what we all saw with our own eyes? Making progress blocking air?
In my 50+ years of fandom, even with the new OC, I'm about as excited about this fall as I am a colonoscopy.

One thing I saw early in the video was in 11 offensive player formations and passing plays the running back went out for passes EVERY time. I think they might try to get 5 receivers out on pass plays a lot more than keeping a TEnd and a RBack in to block. I think that is great for it the pass blocking is good the qb can look for bigger deeper routes and then check down but if the pass blocking is not as good there will probably be a quick checkdown for catch and YAC.

I also watched the QBs in passing drills and Marco #11 looked on target , Hill #10 was OK but still high and behind on a couple of throws, didnt focus on other qbs.

I saw the QBs were doing rollout drills in both directions. Not sure if this is new but good to see so as to get more motion and variation in the passing formations and situations.
Unless they find 2-3 more pieces out of the portal, which has to include a serviceable quarterback, I am not very optimistic—which might be a good thing because I was fairly optimistic going into last season.

Iowa went 5-wide a lot under Brian. I can’t remember a single time it accomplished anything other than a sack, quarterback fumble, incompletion, or minimal gain to the tight end. If Deacon Hill is the quarterback, Iowa better be in max protection. I don’t care how much improved the OL is. No OL can hold up when the defense is sending the house because they know there is no threat of any sort of vertical passing game. Add the fact your quarterback is running through quicksand, and you can forget about it.

As to your question, there were plenty of QB bootlegs in Brian’s offense. The problem was no one ever bit on the fake handoff and Deacon Hill usually either had a defender right in his face as soon as he began rolling out or had a linebacker charging at him and had to dump a pass off into the flat to a fullback or tight end for a 3-inch gain.

Bottom line: You have to have a mobile quarterback in today’s game. Have to. Unless you have Tom Brady, who has mastered getting the football out in a nanosecond, you are going nowhere as an offense without a quarterback who can extend drives with his legs.

Unless they find 2-3 more pieces out of the portal, which has to include a serviceable quarterback, I am not very optimistic—which might be a good thing because I was fairly optimistic going into last season.

Iowa went 5-wide a lot under Brian. I can’t remember a single time it accomplished anything other than a sack, quarterback fumble, incompletion, or minimal gain to the tight end. If Deacon Hill is the quarterback, Iowa better be in max protection. I don’t care how much improved the OL is. No OL can hold up when the defense is sending the house because they know there is no threat of any sort of vertical passing game. Add the fact your quarterback is running through quicksand, and you can forget about it.

As to your question, there were plenty of QB bootlegs in Brian’s offense. The problem was no one ever bit on the fake handoff and Deacon Hill usually either had a defender right in his face as soon as he began rolling out or had a linebacker charging at him and had to dump a pass off into the flat to a fullback or tight end for a 3-inch gain.

Bottom line: You have to have a mobile quarterback in today’s game. Have to. Unless you have Tom Brady, who has mastered getting the football out in a nanosecond, you are going nowhere as an offense without a quarterback who can extend drives with his legs.
Well Deacon Hill at qb would be surrendering the season, throwing it away like spiking a football on a busted play. I want either a decent above avg Cade, Marco to see if he can run to move the chains, or a new qb. I've had enough of the Hill experiment as he hardly made any big completions in his game time except maybe that late one against NW that set up the final FG.

Sending the house against a 5 receiver set, including 2 experienced TEs (6'6, 6'4), is a suicide mission.

Those route combos cut off to horizontals and angles. 1 or 2 vert routes are good to clear the CBs and lock the safeties, opening up the middle mid for slots & RB motions and. Safeties commit wrong and the vert along with the flat/boundary is a strong option.

Brian didn't NEAR the motion (a VERY common complaint) like Lester does to get the defense to tip it's hand.

Watch some Lester WMU tape and you'll see.

Guys will be open fairly quickly with 5 options and pre-snap motion. It's not like Iowa is going to be facing the top 12 back sevens that college football has to offer over the course of the '24 season.

Getting an accurate ball to the open receivers is a different issue.

JMO

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u and uihawk82
Sending the house against a 5 receiver set, including 2 experienced TEs (6'6, 6'4), is a suicide mission.

Those route combos cut off to horizontals and angles. 1 or 2 vert routes are good to clear the CBs and lock the safeties, opening up the middle mid for slots & RB motions and. Safeties commit wrong and the vert along with the flat/boundary is a strong option.

Brian didn't NEAR the motion (a VERY common complaint) like Lester does to get the defense to tip it's hand.

Watch some Lester WMU tape and you'll see.

Guys will be open fairly quickly with 5 options and pre-snap motion. It's not like Iowa is going to be facing the top 12 back sevens that college football has to offer over the course of the '24 season.

Getting an accurate ball to the open receivers is a different issue.

JMO
That all sounds good to me.

I hope it materializes.

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy
What in the heck happens to some of these QBs when they get to Iowa? Marco was close to 80% completions as a senior in HS, and in the start of his sophomore year, evidently he cannot hardly complete a pass according on some of the reports here. This staff seems to have a history of screwing up QBs when they get here.

What in the heck happens to some of these QBs when they get to Iowa? Marco was close to 80% completions as a senior in HS, and in the start of his sophomore year, evidently he cannot hardly complete a pass according on some of the reports here. This staff seems to have a history of screwing up QBs when they get here.
The recent video of practice that I saw Marco was putting the ball on the receivers very well. Remember Petras broke all of Jared Goff's high school records and it is easy to complete passes in high school if your team is dominant

Actually a really good OL can indeed hold up if they send the house. You know because Iowa is the only team that gets scouted and the game plan revolves around putting pressure on the offensive line….doh!

I don’t think he’s school played much of a schedule…🤷‍♂️ maybe 2 teams out of 9 with winning records.

I don’t think he’s school played much of a schedule…🤷‍♂️ maybe 2 teams out of 9 with winning records.

Maybe, but he's only one of several others over the years that have seemed to be pretty good, yet never saw the field imho. I might also add that Hayden had some good QBs and some average ones, and he also had a couple excellent WRs and some average ones and they were able to have some success.

Maybe, but he's only one of several others over the years that have seemed to be pretty good, yet never saw the field imho. I might also add that Hayden had some good QBs and some average ones, and he also had a couple excellent WRs and some average ones and they were able to have some success.

🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure what the point about HF means. Yes both coaches have had successes and failures. All over the field…

🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure what the point about HF means. Yes both coaches have had successes and failures. All over the field…

It just seems like we supposedly get some good QBs the past several years, and yet none have been able to have a decent percentage of completions. My point is HF had pretty good offenses with average QBs and WRs in many years. Our offenses have sucked lately and will again with the DH is he's the one. Just my opinion.

Reactions: chuck285
It just seems like we supposedly get some good QBs the past several years, and yet none have been able to have a decent percentage of completions. My point is HF had pretty good offenses with average QBs and WRs in many years. Our offenses have sucked lately and will again with the DH is he's the one. Just my opinion.

Completely isolated and anecdotal scenarios…

In all honesty, Hayden had some poor QBs and some great QBs and they had some fantastic other worldly offenses and some pretty poor ones… Same as KF.

Well, except the other worldly offenses, we’ve never really had that 🤔

Deacon loves roll out drills:

images

Bad scheming and lack of any real coaching for the QB position is a good place to start.

Hayden always said that a coach's #1 job was to teach, and if the kids were failing he'd find a new teacher.

Certainly was not the case with how KOK and BF were managed. That's my one big gripe about KF. His O blind spots were evident through recent years and he had to be forced to change.

Iowa is a developmental program, and the QBs (most important position on the team) seriously lacked development.

Thank God we have a new teacher.

Reactions: BGHAWK
........with no rush or defender.

There is no doubt about that. Stanley was the last true B1G QB on the team who got at least marginally better from his FR to SR year. Since then, the combination of recruiting misses and absolutely ruining players' development has been astronomical. Stanley was also the last HS QB recruit to finish his eligibility here. I know that's a new trend everywhere, but it's still not good. What are the chances of Lainez and Resar finishing their careers at Iowa? Heck, Lainez should bolt in a few weeks if he can't beat out DH during spring practice.

Even if Lester isn't able to turn KF's mess of an offense completely around, I am at least somewhat confident that having a competent and knowledgeable OC/QB coach will result in vast improvement in this area.

No disrespect to our HOF coach Hayden Fry but fans sure do forget some of his bad years and poor offenses. Let's take the years 1992, 1993 and 1994 when in the middle of his coaching career at Iowa we had 3 non-winning seasons in a row and we were 16-18-1 over that period. In 1993 we were 6-6 and had no wins against a team with a winning record. We beat a 4-6-1 Tulsa by 1 point, and a 3-8 ISU by 3 points and a 2-9 Northwestern by 4 points.

The 1993 offense seemed good against poor teams but when we played a decent team the offense could not do anything. In our 6 losses that year we never scored more than 10 points in any one of those games and scored a total of 33 points or 5.5 points per game in our six losses. Three times we scored 3 points or less. Great offense by Hayden.

Maybe Hayden should have had a decent defense in 1994 when he was 5-5-1 and in the 5 losses the other team averaged 40.8 points per game. We did score 37 points on a 0-10-1 ISU, and 49 on a 3-7-1 Northwestern and 49 on a 3-8 Minnesota. Every loss was by 14+ points except 6-5 Indiana who we lost by 7 at home.

Let's also review 1989 when we were 5-6. Here are the points we scored in our 6 losses. 6,14,12,7,0,7 so we averaged 7.7 points per game in our 6 losses.

Kirk has a 71% winning percentage in the last 5 years with 3 10 win seasons. Winning at Iowa is not easy as Hayden's record indicates and his offenses were fun to watch against poor teams but in both 1989 and 1993 he had 4 games each year where they did not score more than 7 points. That is 35% of our games in those two years we did not score more than 7 points.

There is no doubt about that. Stanley was the last true B1G QB on the team who got at least marginally better from his FR to SR year. Since then, the combination of recruiting misses and absolutely ruining players' development has been astronomical. Stanley was also the last HS QB recruit to finish his eligibility here. I know that's a new trend everywhere, but it's still not good. What are the chances of Lainez and Resar finishing their careers at Iowa? Heck, Lainez should bolt in a few weeks if he can't beat out DH during spring practice.

Even if Lester isn't able to turn KF's mess of an offense completely around, I am at least somewhat confident that having a competent and knowledgeable OC/QB coach will result in vast improvement in this area.
I would even take SOME improvement. Vast is our stretch goal.

No disrespect to our HOF coach Hayden Fry but fans sure do forget some of his bad years and poor offenses. Let's take the years 1992, 1993 and 1994 when in the middle of his coaching career at Iowa we had 3 non-winning seasons in a row and we were 16-18-1 over that period. In 1993 we were 6-6 and had no wins against a team with a winning record. We beat a 4-6-1 Tulsa by 1 point, and a 3-8 ISU by 3 points and a 2-9 Northwestern by 4 points.

The 1993 offense seemed good against poor teams but when we played a decent team the offense could not do anything. In our 6 losses that year we never scored more than 10 points in any one of those games and scored a total of 33 points or 5.5 points per game in our six losses. Three times we scored 3 points or less. Great offense by Hayden.

Maybe Hayden should have had a decent defense in 1994 when he was 5-5-1 and in the 5 losses the other team averaged 40.8 points per game. We did score 37 points on a 0-10-1 ISU, and 49 on a 3-7-1 Northwestern and 49 on a 3-8 Minnesota. Every loss was by 14+ points except 6-5 Indiana who we lost by 7 at home.

Let's also review 1989 when we were 5-6. Here are the points we scored in our 6 losses. 6,14,12,7,0,7 so we averaged 7.7 points per game in our 6 losses.

Kirk has a 71% winning percentage in the last 5 years with 3 10 win seasons. Winning at Iowa is not easy as Hayden's record indicates and his offenses were fun to watch against poor teams but in both 1989 and 1993 he had 4 games each year where they did not score more than 7 points. That is 35% of our games in those two years we did not score more than 7 points.
So Hayden was basically propped up by Bill Snyder for the most part and when he left we started the downhill. Except for the Matt Rodgers years.

We didn’t score against anyone the last three years.

At least with Hayden he would beat down the bad teams. With Kirk he lets them hang around

In 1993 we were 6-6 and had no wins against a team with a winning record. We beat a 4-6-1 Tulsa by 1 point, and a 3-8 ISU by 3 points and a 2-9 Northwestern by 4 points.

Yes many years we beat down the weak teams but 1993 was not one of them. I will take winning over 16-18-1 over a three year period. We have won 28 games in the last three years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT