ADVERTISEMENT

6 years later, Greenwood close to walking without walker, memory is better, can communicate more

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
On Sept. 9, 2011, Brett Greenwood’s heart stopped during a routine workout at his former high school's stadium. His brain was denied oxygen and once hospitalized, he was placed into a coma.

When he woke up, Greenwood couldn't walk or see or talk. He had to relearn almost everything.

“At the beginning, it’s like being a newborn,” his mother, Michele Greenwood, said. “He had short term memory issues. Every few seconds, he couldn’t tell you where he was.”

Brett Greenwood is now 29.

Here is an update on the progress he has made:

http://qctimes.com/news/local/forme...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

I was just wondering last week how he was doing. It seemed crazy to me when I read that yesterday that this all happened in 2011. It really is such a sad thing. I played with and against Brett in Rising Knights football and against him in high school. It is still terrible to think that a kid like that who worked as hard as he did, especially after being overlooked coming out of high school could have everything fall apart in an instant.

He was the best player on the field every time he put his helmet on his senior year at PV.

It is also awesome to see Pat Angerer being such a big part of his life and helping him through it.

Good luck to Brett and his family in everything going forward. I still get chills watching him lead the swarm out of the tunnel a couple of years ago

Thanks OP.

The KF and Greenwood parents' interview before the Big Ten Championship game still gets me every time it's posted. Great to hear BG is improving.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
I won't soon forget Brett, with Pat at his side, struggling to lead the swarm out of the tunnel before the Pitt game a couple of years ago. What an emotional moment. And then to have that game end with Beathard setting up Koehn for the winning 57-yard FG as time expired... It was quite a night in Kinnick, and knowing that Brett continues to make progress is fantastic news. No one can imagine what an experience the last six years have been for a great Hawkeye and his family. I hope that Brett will soon lead the swarm onto the field again without a walker or anyone to help him.

Thanks OP.

The KF and Greenwood parents' interview before the Big Ten Championship game still gets me every time it's posted. Great to hear BG is improving.

Here is the ESPN piece. Definitely worth another watch. KF really struggled getting through the interview. Heck, it is hard to watch as a fan.

www.espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14294141

Last edited:
Here is the ESPN piece. Definitely worth another watch. KF really struggled getting through the interview. Heck, it is hard to watch as a fan.

www.espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14294141

I get choked up every time I watch this. I'm not sure if there was a dry eye in Kinnick when he led the swarm...I know I didn't maintain my composure.

I'm pretty sure if you look up Hawkeye in the dictionary, there's a picture of Brett....

On Sept. 9, 2011, Brett Greenwood’s heart stopped during a routine workout at his former high school's stadium. His brain was denied oxygen and once hospitalized, he was placed into a coma.

When he woke up, Greenwood couldn't walk or see or talk. He had to relearn almost everything.

“At the beginning, it’s like being a newborn,” his mother, Michele Greenwood, said. “He had short term memory issues. Every few seconds, he couldn’t tell you where he was.”

Brett Greenwood is now 29.

Here is an update on the progress he has made:

http://qctimes.com/news/local/forme...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
Any fan who watches that video, and doesn't get choked up doesn't have a pulse, just as anyone who seen that and questions KF's commitment to the program and the players is not being truthful.

All I can say, is thanks for the update OP, and thanks for the video. I'm proud of BG as a Hawk and as a son. I'm sure his parents are incredibly proud.

I don't think everyone deserves a friend like Pat. I think Bret does.

Can you imagine what Brett went thru? He had just got cut by the Steelers; he was working out, like he always did. He collapses. When he wakes up, he can't talk, can't walk....not sure if he could see....I wonder if he understands what people say to him now....

just a sad story.

Any fan who watches that video, and doesn't get choked up doesn't have a pulse, just as anyone who seen that and questions KF's commitment to the program and the players is not being truthful.
I was in the hospital about that same time. Ran into KF in the elevator (me in my hospital gown, IV pump on a wheeled pole in tow). Pretty sure he was going to visit BG. I didn't harass him or ask questions, just smiled and said Hi. He was very nice, asked how I was doing. As we say in Iowa he's "good people".

I know Brett has his rights of privacy and there is HIPPA. Still, it would be great to get some insight as to his progress. Sounds like a dictionary showing the word "courage" should have his picture to the side of the meaning. He is an inspiration to anyone who knows his story!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT