ADVERTISEMENT

60 Minutes last night

theiacowtipper

HR Legend
Feb 17, 2004
Last night showed why this is still the best program on television. Along with an awesome piece about FEMA related fraud pertaining to hurricane Sandy relief, there was a segment on the possible criminal acts of Lumber Liquidators, selling laminate flooring that may contain hazardous levels of formaldehyde.

In one program, they went after a government agency that may have tolerated fraud from one of its contractors and a company that is trying to get away with hazardous acts in order to make a profit. Awesome show.

It depends on the levels/concentration of formaldehyde. You realize formaldehyde and benzene are common ingredients in cigarettes, right?

Regarding 60 Minutes, I totally agree. I'm going to miss Bob Simon. He was fantastic.

It sounded like the insurance companies were committing fraud by changing engineering reports. And that FEMA wasn't paying particular attention. As usual it was the common man getting it up the ass.

Originally posted by INXS83:

It depends on the levels/concentration of formaldehyde. You realize formaldehyde and benzene are common ingredients in cigarettes, right?

Regarding 60 Minutes, I totally agree. I'm going to miss Bob Simon. He was fantastic.
The levels they were talking about were above the limits that have been law in California for some time, and are scheduled for adoption soon nationwide. They had some scientist on the show that said these levels would cause significant respiratory issues in kids, not so much adults.

Their point is that LL went to China to have their laminate made in order to make more money. They knew, or at least should have known, that the product they were getting was defective and didn't meet guidelines.

An interesting part of the piece was an interview with a Wall Street type who saw this coming and shorted LL stock in a big way. I would wager he's a happy guy today.

Equally as impressive was the piece on Hurricane Sandy relief. FEMA contracted flood insurance companies were falsifying engineering reports in order to say that damage was not flood related and therefore not having to pay as much in claims. The claimants complained to the insurance companies and FEMA and basically were ignored. They interviewed the new FEMA guy who said that they were wrong in how they handled the complaint and are fixing things.

Originally posted by theiacowtipper:
Last night showed why this is still the best program on television. Along with an awesome piece about FEMA related fraud pertaining to hurricane Sandy relief, there was a segment on the possible criminal acts of Lumber Liquidators, selling laminate flooring that may contain hazardous levels of formaldehyde.

In one program, they went after a government agency that may have tolerated fraud from one of its contractors and a company that is trying to get away with hazardous acts in order to make a profit. Awesome show.
That may indeed have been an excellent story, correct in every respect, but "Sixty Minutes" has little credibility, IMHO. A lot of big, accurate stories, but too many major mistakes, too.

Better than The Good Wife?Say it aint so Joe.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

That may indeed have been an excellent story, correct in every respect, but "Sixty Minutes" has little credibility, IMHO. A lot of big, accurate stories, but too many major mistakes, too.

60 Minutes has indeed made their share of mistakes, the Benghazi story and the GWB Air National Guard Story probably at the top of the list. However, they have a pretty solid track record that goes back nearly 50 years. To say they have "little credibility" is probably a reach. Each person needs to make their own judgment about how much weight they give each news source.

In the end, I don't think there is a more accurate or non-partisan investigative news show out there.

Originally posted by hawkitd:
^^^^

LOL at the "non-partisan" line above

Puhleaze
Your definition of non-partisan? Last night's episode included a very embarrassing interview with a member of the Obama administration, asking some tough questions about FEMA's response to Hurricane Sandy and the fact that they ignored fraudulent activity on the part of contracted insurers. Again, they've made mistakes, but they've gone after bother parties.

Originally posted by INXS83:

If he was smart enough to use a seat belt, he might still be around.

I thought is was the best show in atleast a couple of years.......I was waiting for Mike wallace to come out an make a cameo on the Lumber Liquidator piece. It reminded me of "old school" 60 Minutes...the way the program made its bones back in the old days.

60 Minutes has indeed made their share of mistakes, the Benghazi story and the GWB Air National Guard Story probably at the top of the list. However, they have a pretty solid track record that goes back nearly 50 years. To say they have "little credibility" is probably a reach. Each person needs to make their own judgment about how much weight they give each news source.

In the end, I don't think there is a more accurate or non-partisan investigative news show out there.
Goes back a lot further than that. Does the name "Westmoreland" ring a bell? I think I said they have had a lot of big, accurate stories. But they've screwed the pooch often enough -- always in a partisan manner -- that their stories have to be approached with something other than an assumption that everything is correct. Maybe that doesn't justify saying they have little credibility.

For the record, what other comparable programs are there? I can't think of any.

Originally posted by CarolinaHawkeye:
It sounded like the insurance companies were committing fraud by changing engineering reports. And that FEMA wasn't paying particular attention. As usual it was the common man getting it up the ass.
It clearly sounded like EPA was in on the fraud
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Goes back a lot further than that. Does the name "Westmoreland" ring a bell? I think I said they have had a lot of big, accurate stories. But they've screwed the pooch often enough -- always in a partisan manner -- that their stories have to be approached with something other than an assumption that everything is correct. Maybe that doesn't justify saying they have little credibility.

I think that's the rub....60 minutes with all it's flaws over years is basically all we have for serious investigative journalism. I hope the show sticks around....

That Lumber Liquidators guy looked so dishonest. That or incompetent. I don't know why you would willingly go on the air with that performance unless he is also shorting his own stock.

Originally posted by binsfeldcyhawk2:

I think that's the rub....60 minutes with all it's flaws over years is basically all we have for serious investigative journalism. I hope the show sticks around....
What about "Frontline" on PBS?

Originally posted by HawkCat:

Originally posted by binsfeldcyhawk2:

What about "Frontline" on PBS?
Haven't you heard? Thats all Joseph Goebbels like government propaganda.
tongue.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT