ADVERTISEMENT

7 Michigan State players are charged — 1 with felony assault — for a postgame melee with rival Michigan

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Seven Michigan State football players are charged in the postgame melee in Michigan Stadium’s tunnel last month, according to a statement Wednesday from the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office.

The most serious charge is against Khary Crump, who faces a felony count of felonious assault. The charges against the six others are misdemeanors; five with aggravated assault and one with assault and battery.

The incident occurred on Oct. 29 when multiple members of Michigan State’s football team roughed up two Michigan players.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh had said earlier he expected the suspended Spartans to be criminally charged.

“At the University of Michigan we appreciate the thoughtful, deliberate approach from the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office to this unfortunate incident,” Michigan president Santa J. Ono said in a statement. “We also want to express our concern for all the players involved, especially those who were injured. The University of Michigan will continue to cooperate fully with any additional reviews of this matter.”

Michigan State’s athletic director and football coach did not immediately return requests for comment.

Michigan State coach Mel Tucker suspended eight players — including Malcolm Jones, who is not being charged with a crime — for their role in the melee.

Harbaugh has said defensive back Gemon Green was punched by a Spartans player, sparking the fracas shortly after the Wolverines beat their in-state rivals, and that teammate Ja’Den McBurrows was attacked when he tried to help.

Green suffered a concussion, which kept him out of one game before returning to play in Michigan’s 34-3 win over Nebraska.

Michigan increased the security presence in and around the tunnel and prevented Wolverines from entering it until each Nebraska player left the field at halftime and following the game.

If these guys broke laws then they should suffer the consequences. But there’s still no excuse for a school with Michigan’s money to force opposing teams to share a hallway back to their locker rooms. And Harbaugh needs to stop acting so friggin’ arrogant about the incident.

The Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office reached out to Mark Dantonio for advice on how to handle the situation. His advice was to suspend each of the accused players for the first five minutes of the Illinois game. Tough love, baby.
Tom Osborne would agree, but recommend the Michigan State coaches first try and gather as much evidence as possible and hide it from the police then hide the players in a closet.

If these guys broke laws then they should suffer the consequences. But there’s still no excuse for a school with Michigan’s money to force opposing teams to share a hallway back to their locker rooms. And Harbaugh needs to stop acting so friggin’ arrogant about the incident.
Both teams have been using Michigan Stadium's lone tunnel for almost 100 years. What occurred during the MSU game was a first. To that degree, at least. The problem isn't the venue.

Both teams have been using Michigan Stadium's lone tunnel for almost 100 years. What occurred during the MSU game was a first. To that degree, at least. The problem isn't the venue.
The venue is a contributing factor and Harbaugh is a douchebag. Penn State and Michigan players nearly got into a similar brawl two weeks earlier and Harbaugh was still chirping and blaming James Franklin for that incident when the Michigan State incident happened. And Bret Bielema was livid about his team being delayed in getting back onto the field for the second half.

The Big House is one of college football’s most iconic venues and Michigan’s athletic department has more money than God. There is absolutely no excuse for this situation to continue. At an absolute minimum they should put up a temporary wall down the middle of the hallway until they can complete a more permanent solution. And let the visiting team decide which one goes first when entering and exiting the field.

On a related note, it’s borderline criminal that it took me nearly 45 minutes to get from my seat to the restroom at the end of the 2019 game. Getting from the lower bowl to the exit is the most arduous task I’ve ever completed in a sports venue.

The venue is a contributing factor and Harbaugh is a douchebag. Penn State and Michigan players nearly got into a similar brawl two weeks earlier and Harbaugh was still chirping and blaming James Franklin for that incident when the Michigan State incident happened. And Bret Bielema was livid about his team being delayed in getting back onto the field for the second half.

The Big House is one of college football’s most iconic venues and Michigan’s athletic department has more money than God. There is absolutely no excuse for this situation to continue. At an absolute minimum they should put up a temporary wall down the middle of the hallway until they can complete a more permanent solution. And let the visiting team decide which one goes first when entering and exiting the field.

On a related note, it’s borderline criminal that it took me nearly 45 minutes to get from my seat to the restroom at the end of the 2019 game. Getting from the lower bowl to the exit is the most arduous task I’ve ever completed in a sports venue.

At some point in life, there’s an expectation for people to behave themselves. At least I think there still is. For those that don’t, there are consequences.

At some point in life, there’s an expectation for people to behave themselves. At least I think there still is. For those that don’t, there are consequences.
There is an expectation for people to behave themselves. That’s why I said the players who broke the law should suffer the consequences. But that doesn’t absolve Michigan of the responsibility to not leave a bunch of dry tinder lying around and hoping it doesn’t catch fire.

And Harbaugh’s arrogant attitude in the aftermath of both the Penn State incident and the Michigan State incident was unacceptable.

Yeah, no. TJ responded pretty well, but this was not the first issue in the tunnel. It’s the first one that got recorded and made a splash. UM was aware of the problem for years and did nothing to increase security and improver their protocols.

Reactions: TJ8869 and EasyHawk
There is an expectation for people to behave themselves. That’s why I said the players who broke the law should suffer the consequences. But that doesn’t absolve Michigan of the responsibility to not leave a bunch of dry tinder lying around and hoping it doesn’t catch fire.

And Harbaugh’s arrogant attitude in the aftermath of both the Penn State incident and the Michigan State incident was unacceptable.

This sounds a lot like saying a raped woman in a tight outfit was “asking for it.” 🤔

This sounds a lot like saying a raped woman in a tight outfit was “asking for it.” 🤔
I’d say it’s more akin to “crack whore gets roughed up by disgruntled client.”. Dude who administered the beating deserves to suffer the consequences for his roughhousing. But Lady Suck-Suck could probably also benefit from reevaluating her lifestyle choices.

I’d say it’s more akin to “crack whore gets roughed up by disgruntled client.”. Dude who administered the beating deserves to suffer the consequences for his roughhousing. But Lady Suck-Suck could probably also benefit from reevaluating her lifestyle choices.

you assume she has many choices.

The thing that bugs me about this is the Michigan players were being held outside the tunnel. These shit talking, trouble making assholes from Michigan snuck in behind the MSU team.

I have know idea what went on when they entered the tunnel, but there needs to be accountability to them. They are not innocent victims.

Yes, the players are responsible for their actions and should be held accountable. But that tunnel is not very wide, so you would think an institution like Michigan that has a lot of smart people, could figure out a way to fix the tunnel or keep teams separated.

You can’t just hit people you don’t like without repercussions. They’re in college not on the Warriors.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

So if you get mugged on a sidewalk is it the sidewalk's fault? No somebody chose to assault you, It is their fault 100%.

What’s Lady Suck Suck charging you these days?

Yes, the players are responsible for their actions and should be held accountable. But that tunnel is not very wide, so you would think an institution like Michigan that has a lot of smart people, could figure out a way to fix the tunnel or keep teams separated.
Or conversely you would hope that people wouldn't commit assault.

. But that doesn’t absolve Michigan of the responsibility to not leave a bunch of dry tinder lying around and hoping it doesn’t catch fire.

For around 100 years the tunnel wasn’t an issue. Now, one incident occurs, after over 1000 games, and it’s blame Michigan and their venue. Does that really make sense to you?

For around 100 years the tunnel wasn’t an issue. Now, one incident occurs, after over 1000 games, and it’s blame Michigan and their venue. Does that really make sense to you?
It’s not one incident. Michigan and Penn State players brawled two weeks earlier in the same tunnel. And there was also this from last year:

As I’ve explained at least twice already, the Michigan State players who committed assault deserve to pay the price for their actions. But Michigan needs to address the tunnel situation and stop being so goddamn smug about this.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT