ADVERTISEMENT

75% of Democratic Voters don't want Joe to run again

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
(CNN)A new CNN poll finds 75% of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters want the party to nominate someone other than President Joe Biden in the 2024 election, a sharp increase from earlier this year.

That's an insane number....

Could leave an opening for someone to legitimately challenge a sitting president in a primary.

That is if someone was willing to take the risk. I think most of the top candidates wouldn't want to take the risk.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
Could leave an opening for someone to legitimately challenge a sitting president in a primary.

That is if someone was willing to take the risk. I think most of the top candidates wouldn't want to take the risk.
When Ted Kennedy challenged Carter that didn't end very well for the Dems.

It's got to be contingent on Joe not running....which I think is probably likely.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
It's what happens when you say you're going to be FDR and then you seem impotent to get your party around major parts of your legislative agenda or seem slow to react to your one real job in protecting abortion rights. You get treated like LBJ.

This was pretty shocking too, from about a month ago. Even CNN has turned on him lately.

At-risk Democrats distance themselves from Biden ahead of midterm elections​

Democratic darlings Stacey Abrams and Sen. Raphael Warnock have recently released a slate of policy proposals on energy, crime, and abortion rights in an effort to energize their party's base and turn the political conversation away from President Joe Biden's dismal approval ratings and toward their plan for Georgians as they head into tough midterm matchups.

Abrams, the gubernatorial candidate running against incumbent Republican Gov. Brian
Kemp in a rematch of 2018, announced a multipronged plan on Thursday that includes pay raises for law enforcement officers and public school teachers if she wins. She also goes all-in on gun control, making it a central focus in her race as she seeks to turn crime into a liability for Kemp.

Abrams and Warnock, an at-risk Democrat running against former Georgia football standout Herschel Walker, have also stressed their support for codifying abortion rights ahead of the Supreme Court's decision on Roe v. Wade.

The two Georgia candidates are not relying on Biden to pump up the electorate but instead are hoping their take on divisive issues will be enough to get voters to the polls.

"Abrams and Warnock know they're extremely vulnerable given Biden's low approval ratings," Karen Owen, a University of West Georgia political scientist, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "And they know they need to shift to bread-and-butter kitchen table issues like energy prices."

In recent days, Warnock has even gone out of his way to dodge direct questions about wanting Biden on the campaign trail.

"I know that the pundits are focused on the campaign," he said. "I really am focused on serving the people of Georgia."

The president's underwhelming performance has led to uncomfortable conversations about how much to lean on him as Democrats try to hold on to power. The Senate is currently deadlocked at 50-50, with Vice President Kamala Harris's tiebreaking vote giving Democrats the majority. In the House, Republicans need to net only five seats in the midterm elections to win back the majority they lost in 2018.

In swing states such as Nevada, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and New Hampshire, candidates have resorted to running against Washington as a whole — even though their party controls both chambers of Congress and the White House.

"I'm running for reelection because you deserve a senator who will cut through the gridlock and dysfunction in Washington and deliver real results for your family," Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, who has been in Congress for nearly six years, wrote on her website. "I'll work with anyone — Democrats, Republicans, and independents — to help Nevada's families succeed."

Masto's strategy is born out of necessity, as frustration over soaring gas prices and inflation deepens and confidence in Biden tanks.

A Gallup poll found that the mood of the nation is the worst it has been in any midterm election since 1974, the year the Watergate scandal led to the resignation of President Richard Nixon. Even though it's normal for a president's party to lose seats in the midterm elections, Democrats could be looking at larger than usual losses unless Biden can turn public opinion around.

Biden has burned through almost all of the political capital he had when he was sworn into office last year. His popularity has taken a nosedive amid his struggles to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, soaring gas prices, and multiple foreign crises. His public approval rating fell for a fourth straight week to 36%, matching its lowest level seen in May, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released Thursday. His overall approval rating has stayed below 50% since August.

(CNN)A new CNN poll finds 75% of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters want the party to nominate someone other than President Joe Biden in the 2024 election, a sharp increase from earlier this year.

That's an insane number....

55% of GOP don't want Trump to run. That's also a good sign.
I won't vote for Trump, will not vote for Biden. I'll sit this one out if these blithering idiots are our options.

55% of GOP don't want Trump to run. That's also a good sign.

Only if they all coalesce behind another candidate. More than 55% voted for someone other than Trump last time. The trend is positive, but if that number holds steady Trump is a shoe in.

The Biden number is mind boggling around an incumbent from his own party. His presidency has been a failure of historical proportions (obviously some things are beyond his control). It's insane that the Republicans are possible if not likely to nominate the only candidate that probably can't beat Biden.

It's like there's this game of chicken...if Trump wins and is nominated, Biden is a viable candidate, but in any other scenario he should go.

biden should do the right thing and step aside after this term. there is still a lot of time between now and 2024 but i don’t see public opinion changing. he did his job and was a stabilizer but he’s just too old and everyone knows it.

It's what happens when you say you're going to be FDR and then you seem impotent to get your party around major parts of your legislative agenda or seem slow to react to your one real job in protecting abortion rights. You get treated like LBJ.
alonzo-mourning-gary-payton.gif

It also makes it incredibly gross that Democrats are pumping money into Republican primaries trying to elevate the worst, most MAGA, most January 6 candidates. They've dumped money into primaries trying to defeat every reasonable, non-MAGA, non-Trump aligned Republican they can so as not to face them in the general.

It's unsavory in normal times, but we're headed for an election where it might be possible for any candidate, no matter how heinous, to be elected if they don't have a D next to their name. They're trying to tell you that Democracy is at state while pumping millions into campaigns of election truthers to advance them out of the primary. And some of them, maybe a lot of them, are going to beat the Democrats anyway.

Kennedy challenging Carter had little to do with why Carter lost. Economy and evangelical vote killed him.
Didn't help...but I agree overall.

I think D's challenging Joe in a contested primary ends badly. To campaign against him you basically have to repudiate what he did....

Better all around if he doesn't run. If he does....have to go with him. Hopefully he doesn't run...

The thing is, other than youth, what do they have to offer? They can’t attack his policies. You can’t lie and pin inflation on him or the Republicans will say you’re admitting it’s the Democrats fault.

None of the candidates will do any more or less than Joe when the House and Senate are how they are set up. IF the Democrats can add 2-3 to the Senate, then a democrat President can do a little more because of a push aside of the filibuster. Again, any democrat President will be in the same position
Explain to me what he was supposed to do about Manchin and Sinema…

Is it his fault McConnell stole an SC justice?

What the hell could Biden do that he hasn’t considering an entire party wants him to fail? Trying to make him fail.

Biden won't be on the ballot in 2024, but he'd essentially be a lame duck President to announce that now.

I am not sure it makes much difference in the midterms either.

It still comes down to the GOP alternative. I believe there are several Dems that would beat Turd if he's the nominee.

Didn't help...but I agree overall.

I think D's challenging Joe in a contested primary ends badly. To campaign against him you basically have to repudiate what he did....

Better all around if he doesn't run. If he does....have to go with him. Hopefully he doesn't run...
This. Go with Amy who can hold independent voters. Especially against Trump.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Only if they all coalesce behind another candidate. More than 55% voted for someone other than Trump last time. The trend is positive, but if that number holds steady Trump is a shoe in.

The Biden number is mind boggling around an incumbent from his own party. His presidency has been a failure of historical proportions (obviously some things are beyond his control). It's insane that the Republicans are possible if not likely to nominate the only candidate that probably can't beat Biden.

It's like there's this game of chicken...if Trump wins and is nominated, Biden is a viable candidate, but in any other scenario he should go.
Chis, Huey, Joes Place, Tom Paris, Flick, and quite a few others think Biden is doing a great job. Don't rain on their parade. If you must rain on their parade, schedule it for California - there's a drought there.

This. Go with Amy who can hold independent voters. Especially against Trump.
Amy was my #1 by a longshot.....and I thought she should have been the VP when she didn't get the nomination.

That said....she just doesn't seem to be able to get any traction. Hope that changes....

The thing is, other than youth, what do they have to offer? They can’t attack his policies. You can’t lie and pin inflation on him or the Republicans will say you’re admitting it’s the Democrats fault.

None of the candidates will do any more or less than Joe when the House and Senate are how they are set up. IF the Democrats can add 2-3 to the Senate, then a democrat President can do a little more because of a push aside of the filibuster. Again, any democrat President will be in the same position

What the hell could Biden do that he hasn’t considering an entire party wants him to fail? Trying to make him fail.

I don't disagree that he was always facing an uphill battle, but how do you inspire a broad coalition to support you again when you seem content to sit back knowing you don't have votes to do a lot of things you campaigned on? Probably only if Trump governing solo from Twitter in the bathroom is the alternative. Biden doesn't inspire loyalty from voters like Obama, that's all it is.

Reactions: hwk23
As a usually Democratic aligned voter, I can confirm this sentiment. I appreciate Joe’s best efforts but I think this country as a whole needs to turn the page and transition power from the Boomer generation to the younger more energetic generations that are going to have to deal with the consequences of their not so wise elders.

I'm going to answer this question seriously, even though its not a serious question.

Joe Biden is very bad at messaging, and very bad at politics.

A more politically savvy would not expend all his political capital on fights he can't win. Manchin votes with Biden 90% of the time, Sinema even more so. The only thing they are keeping him from passing are the most extreme of his (someone's) agenda.

He got 19 GOP Senate votes for his infrastructure bill. He got three GOP votes for his SC justice. 25 GOP Senators voted to confirm more of his cabinet members than voted against. Mitch McConnell himself voted yes on 75% of Biden's cabinet nominees. He's had overwhelming support from Republicans on Ukraine aid.

Biden's problem is expending all his political capital on issues at the progressive extreme that he can't even whip his entire party behind. Massive BBB plan. Federalizing elections. And they're issues that motivate the extreme side, but poll as extremely low priority among voters. What is the point, he just ends up with failure and everyone disappointed in him. And it's been utterly, completely predictable.

Meanwhile, a bipartisan gun control got passed. A bipartisan gay marriage protection bill passed the house, and might pass the Senate if the Democrats would bother to bring it forward - but they're deathly afraid it would take away an wedge issue. Biden is nowhere on issues where something could be advanced.

A savvy or even competent politician would have followed up on an extremely divisive and chaotic four years by passing what could be passed merely by having all of his party on board, and taking credit for it. Running simply a competent center or even center-left administration. Instead he has picked fight after fight he couldn't win.

Add to that the fact that his messaging has been a mix of gaslighting (Afghanistan pull out a great success, your 4th of July bbq costs are down, we're not in a recession, border is secure), divisive rhetoric (GA election law is Jim Crow on steroids, border agents whipping immigrants), and bizarre incoherence. That's not Mitch McConnell's fault, and there no reason why any other Democrat would have to be that way.

It's just a mess all around, and a lot of it is within his control. It's possible that high inflation and economic issues would eventually doom his reelection, but the difference between a difficult or uphill battle to reelection, and HISTORICALLY low approval ratings...that's on him.

Amy was my #1 by a longshot.....and I thought she should have been the VP when she didn't get the nomination.

That said....she just doesn't seem to be able to get any traction. Hope that changes....
She would have been a great choice based on the past year and a half. She would have been a capable replacement if Biden can't finish his term, and a capable candidate if Biden doesn't run again. Harris is neither.

I don't disagree that he was always facing an uphill battle, but how do you inspire a broad coalition to support you again when you seem content to sit back knowing you don't have votes to do a lot of things you campaigned on? Probably only if Trump governing solo from Twitter in the bathroom is the alternative. Biden doesn't inspire loyalty from voters like Obama, that's all it is.
Bingo.

Reactions: goldmom
biden should do the right thing and step aside after this term. there is still a lot of time between now and 2024 but i don’t see public opinion changing. he did his job and was a stabilizer but he’s just too old and everyone knows it.
His ego is too big. He won’t step aside.

• Haha
Reactions: Niko13 and littlez
Chis, Huey, Joes Place, Tom Paris, Flick, and quite a few others think Biden is doing a great job. Don't rain on their parade. If you must rain on their parade, schedule it for California - there's a drought there.
Explain to me what you expect him to do the way Congress is configured? How is he hurting the country? You’re a Republican so I expect you to know what your party’s platform is to improve things. If you need help Google Rick Scott’s plan and tell me how the vast majority of Americans are on that page. Thanks.

What is he supposed to do to Manchin and Sinema and help me understand what any of the possible democrat replacements would do to convince them to ignore the cash cows that line their pockets. None of them can. They would only vote to push aside the filibuster if if it was in their own political best interests.
I don’t see how any democrat would get Manchin to change his mind.

Reactions: franklinman
I'm going to answer this question seriously, even though its not a serious question.

Joe Biden is very bad at messaging, and very bad at politics.

A more politically savvy would not expend all his political capital on fights he can't win. Manchin votes with Biden 90% of the time, Sinema even more so. The only thing they are keeping him from passing are the most extreme of his (someone's) agenda.

He got 19 GOP Senate votes for his infrastructure bill. He got three GOP votes for his SC justice. 25 GOP Senators voted to confirm more of his cabinet members than voted against. Mitch McConnell himself voted yes on 75% of Biden's cabinet nominees. He's had overwhelming support from Republicans on Ukraine aid.

Biden's problem is expending all his political capital on issues at the progressive extreme that he can't even whip his entire party behind. Massive BBB plan. Federalizing elections. And they're issues that motivate the extreme side, but poll as extremely low priority among voters. What is the point, he just ends up with failure and everyone disappointed in him. And it's been utterly, completely predictable.

Meanwhile, a bipartisan gun control got passed. A bipartisan gay marriage protection bill passed the house, and might pass the Senate if the Democrats would bother to bring it forward - but they're deathly afraid it would take away an wedge issue. Biden is nowhere on issues where something could be advanced.

A savvy or even competent politician would have followed up on an extremely divisive and chaotic four years by passing what could be passed merely by having all of his party on board, and taking credit for it. Running simply a competent center or even center-left administration. Instead he has picked fight after fight he couldn't win.

Add to that the fact that his messaging has been a mix of gaslighting (Afghanistan pull out a great success, your 4th of July bbq costs are down, we're not in a recession, border is secure), divisive rhetoric (GA election law is Jim Crow on steroids, border agents whipping immigrants), and bizarre incoherence. That's not Mitch McConnell's fault, and there no reason why any other Democrat would have to be that way.

It's just a mess all around, and a lot of it is within his control. It's possible that high inflation and economic issues would eventually doom his reelection, but the difference between a difficult or uphill battle to reelection, and HISTORICALLY low approval ratings...that's on him.
I disagree with almost all of this. This isn’t reality. It started with a guy who has been in politics for over 40 years is bad at politics. Then it was rabble rabble nonsense that isn’t really true. Manchin has blocked every major legislation Biden wanted passed.
The gun bill? Jesus that thing is the bare minimum. Sorry, but this didn’t sway me in the least.

I won't vote for Trump, will not vote for Biden. I'll sit this one out if these blithering idiots are our options.
Just like the last two elections, I will not vote for either major party candidate unless there is a new name on the ballot. No Hillary, no Biden, no Trump, no Romney, no Harris.
The first party to find viable new blood will win in a landslide. Until then, I’ll throw my vote away on a third party candidate.

Reactions: jasonrann
ADVERTISEMENT