ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa TV Rev this Year: $42M (Down $12M). Deficit now $55-65M. Had planned on $75M Loan. July 16 Story: #14 in Total Rev (5th in B1G)

Well LC if they are rewarding ISU for more in-state residents enrolling to ISU that is a huge problem. The athletics reference is only because the State should not be “helping” ISU simply cause Iowa makes way more. It is simple. They are both state schools. Iowa brings in way more revenue and the fact they have way more out of state residents that pay a ton more should not be a negative on what the state pays to the schools. That was my point.
IIRC, the rationale was that they are state schools, so state residents should be prioritized. Moreover, I think there were examples of Iowa not really trying to recruit Iowans as students. It's been a few years. I'll google and see if I can find a story from when it was in the news.

EDIT: Well, that was easy.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-less-welcoming-prospective-students/9101573/

Here's a longer story: https://www.insidehighered.com/news...oks-aid-it-tries-increase-resident-enrollment

I don't know what the current funding formula is. But as I said earlier, this doesn't really have anything to do with football or other sports, anyway. Sorry to have contributed to straying from the board subject.

Last edited:
No, I just forgot the level of readership here. By "story" I meant the controversy over the funding and in-state enrollments. I wasn't referring to the specific article cited here. I should have made that easier to understand, I guess. My bad.
Your posts are normally completely ridiculous; therefore, we all typically skim over them.

My bad in this case.

But I will continues to skim over them.

Got it LC. So Iowa (who has a ton more people by percentage from out of state for a multitude of reasons) would be better off just letting more “Iowans” into the school if they want similar state funds. Ok. Well I will take less state funds and a way more diverse campus that still beats ISU in revenue I guess. I mean I know ISU targets Iowa residents with the vet and nursing programs but there is zero question Iowa has a ton more revenue from students than ISU. And with a son choosing colleges he can go to ISU for free but will pay some to go to Iowa. He is going to neither but I guess since a kid from Iowa if he goes to ISU they make it back with state funds. That is so absurd.

Got it LC. So Iowa (who has a ton more people by percentage from out of state for a multitude of reasons) would be better off just letting more “Iowans” into the school if they want similar state funds. Ok. Well I will take less state funds and a way more diverse campus that still beats ISU in revenue I guess. I mean I know ISU targets Iowa residents with the vet and nursing programs but there is zero question Iowa has a ton more revenue from students than ISU. And with a son choosing colleges he can go to ISU for free but will pay some to go to Iowa. He is going to neither but I guess since a kid from Iowa if he goes to ISU they make it back with state funds. That is so absurd.
You apparently want to argue with somebody. I don't. I haven't expressed an opinion about the policy one way or the other, nor have I said anything negative about any of the three schools. I just recalled this subject had been in the news before and thought I could add something to the discussion.

LC - no argument. I just never heard that amount of in state kids are a gauge for money to in state schools. Consider me duly educated.

I can sort of see it with football players. 80 or so guys on football team are basically responsible for $100+ million in revenue, jobs for a few hundred, and almost every other sports quality of facilities.

if football is cancelled everybody is going to get a fast education on what football does for a athletic department at a power 5 school. Basically everything is the answer.
Exactly. If you go down that road, your going to have to pay all the athletes something, or face numerous lawsuits. Who decides each players payout or worth? Does the freshman girl on the womens rowing team get the same payout as the senior AA quarterback for football? Who assigns the value? Major, major minefields everywhere here.....

Good point LC. There are a lot of wicked smart people on message boards. Just ask them!

meh, I will go with the "accounting" that USA Today went with.

Now, go away Little Debbie, and play.

230d1dfd3a494edbacbd7f6f28a02b19_md.jpg

k

Exactly. If you go down that road, your going to have to pay all the athletes something, or face numerous lawsuits. Who decides each players payout or worth? Does the freshman girl on the womens rowing team get the same payout as the senior AA quarterback for football? Who assigns the value? Major, major minefields everywhere here.....
I don’t see the point of paying any athlete that isn’t in a revenue positive sport.

I don’t see the point of paying any athlete that isn’t in a revenue positive sport.
One thing that stood out to me is this:

When looking at Iowa's expenses:

$47,471,417--spent on coaching/staff in 2019
$17,869,652--spent on coaching/staff in 2005

I can see why athletes are frustrated. If we can pay the coaches this kind of money, why can't players get a piece of the pie?

Any idea what the $650,000 in "Student Fees" is for?

Is it students paying for student tickets?

What I've heard: UI Athletics oversaw the construction of the new student Rec Center, rather than the usual UI Facilities department. Athletics continues to pay the $650k annual debt on the bonds. The $650k is funded with student fees that gets funneled to Athletics before going to debt servicing.

Reactions: 2bagger22

You don't pay any athletes. You adopt the Olympic model of allowing them to profit of name, image or likeness. The market determines what they make.

You don't pay any athletes. You adopt the Olympic model of allowing them to profit of name, image or likeness. The market determines what they make.
That’s fine but it’s pretty obvious that college football players are responsible for billions of dollars to their schools and without them all college sports just as well play local DIII.

Men’s basketball makes money but nothing close to the scale needed to support an entire department

Not saying its a good idea, just that they'll most likely have too, because of the legality involved. I mean whats the point of title 9? For the same reason they have to provide equal opportunity for womens sports, (to the ridiculous end of creating sports just so they have scholorships, ex: womens rowing), they'll be in the same pickle if they start giving $$ to football players and the women athletes don't get any love. Just sayin...

Look closer at Nebraska’s contributions...a little less than $7 million - yikes.

They also lost two of their 2020 4 stars before taking a snap. I would guess a lot more are gonna flame out in the end. Womp womp

UNLLLLL contributions are all over the board. Only $5.1 million is '09 and $26.5 million is 2017. I'm very surprised their contributions are so far below Iowa's, particularly since they are the only D1 football team in the state.

Iowa has strong contributions due to relatively limited ticket supply.

Nebraska has to fill 88k every game (wink wink), so they can't force contributions as much.

TOTAL 2018-2019 REVENUE & EXPENSES of 227 TEAMS ARE HERE: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Click on the team to get a breakdown of the Revenue Total & Expense Total.

For #11 Wisconsin (as you can see):

$33,285,000--Ticket Sales
$17,781,000--Contributions
$89,314,000--Rights/Licencing
$..9,565,000--School Funds
$..7,715,000--Other
$................0--Student Fees
$157,660,000 TOTAL REVENUE

For #14 IOWA (as you can see):
$27,179,000--Ticket Sales
$38,627,000--Contributions
$71,006,000--Rights/Licencing
$................0--School Funds
$14,514,000--Other
$.....650,000--Student Fees
$151,976,000 TOTAL REVENUE

Last edited:

TOTAL 2018-2019 REVENUE & EXPENSES of 227 TEAMS ARE HERE: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Click on the team to get a breakdown of the Revenue Total & Expense Total.

For #11 Wisconsin (as you can see):

$33,285,000--Ticket Sales
$17,781,000--Contributions
$89,314,000--Rights/Licencing
$..9,565,000--School Funds
$..7,715,000--Other
$................0--Student Fees
$157,660,000 TOTAL REVENUE

For #14 IOWA (as you can see):
$27,179,000--Ticket Sales
$38,627,000--Contributions
$71,006,000--Rights/Licencing
$................0--School Funds
$14,514,000--Other
$.....650,000--Student Fees
$151,976,000 TOTAL REVENUE

Wisconsin gets $18M more for rights and licensing? Wow

Reactions: Franisdaman
$70 MILLION will need to be borrowed from someone.

Chump change for the president--in more ways than one. He wants college football to be played. Ask him for it.

But then some might wonder why Iowa hasn't been saving some of the windfall it has been receiving from TV rights the last several years. Instead of spending every penny, had Iowa put away a mere $7 million dollar a year for each of the last ten years, they'd have a nice fund to tide them over.

I lost track of how many millions Barta himself has cost the department from various lawsuits.

Is this only if the football season is cancelled? How are they losing that much of the season is still being played in the spring?
All I know is that with fall games canceled, they anticipate approximately $100 million in lost revenue (this $100 million figure would include anticipated spring games, IF they anticipated them)

These numbers validate my belief that football scholarships at major D1 programs should not count towards title 9 since they’re actually profitable and support the entire athletic program.

AQUOTE="mlb1399, post: 8011734, member: 6006"]These numbers validate my belief that football scholarships at major D1 programs should not count towards title 9 since they’re actually profitable and support the entire athletic program.[/QUOTE]
i agree; without football revenue, there would not be nearly the number of scholarship opportunities for female athletes

And i think we would all agree that it is a joke that we have a women's rowing team. And do we really need a women's field hockey team, where all of those players are out of state athletes with costly out of state tuition?

Reactions: Clownhater
How is Iowa going to pay back a $70m loan?

BTW, if Iowa doubles its contributions that would reduce the need for the loan by 50-60%. So all of you simply double your donations from last year.

How is Iowa going to pay back a $70m loan?

BTW, if Iowa doubles its contributions that would reduce the need for the loan by 50-60%. So all of you simply double your donations from last year.
The $5M/year they save from eliminating the 4 programs will be used as part of their annual payment to pay off the loan. Hopefully it is paid off sooner than 15 years!

Chump change for the president--in more ways than one. He wants college football to be played. Ask him for it.

But then some might wonder why Iowa hasn't been saving some of the windfall it has been receiving from TV rights the last several years. Instead of spending every penny, had Iowa put away a mere $7 million dollar a year for each of the last ten years, they'd have a nice fund to tide them over.

I lost track of how many millions Barta himself has cost the department from various lawsuits.
Lol you’re so delusional it’s not even funny. The same dude that was banging the drum to cancel everything can’t figure out where the money will come from. Cancels the money maker. Blames barta. Let me guess when we shut the economy down you couldn’t believe unemployment skyrocketed. Freaking tool with an agenda.

What if there is no vaccine and they don’t play in 2021 either ?

It's okay, Run & Blade. Don't you know that we can "push pause" on literally everything in life and just pick back up when it's safe? Never mind that salaries have to be paid and scholarships paid for, in addition to maintaining current facilities and paying existing debt. That can all magically go away.

What if there is no vaccine and they don’t play in 2021 either ?

Exactly. ^^ At this rate, there may never be a regular, "normal" season again. Once the threat of COVID is over, say...in a few years, something else will be sure to be there to take its place, right? I wouldn't make this loan...there is no way to be sure that it can be paid back.

ADVERTISEMENT