ADVERTISEMENT

8 year old fatally shots 1 year in Florida

Another felon with a gun....

@RileyHawk

There is your failure to properly secure law.

"The father was arrested on charges of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, tampering with evidence, culpable negligence and failure to safely store a firearm, the sheriff said."

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Another felon with a gun....

@RileyHawk

There is your failure to properly secure law.

"The father was arrested on charges of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, tampering with evidence, culpable negligence and failure to safely store a firearm, the sheriff said."
Has nothing to do with being a felon. He should be convicted for not securing his weapon.

Shouldn't you be digging up non-existent data?

Has nothing to do with being a felon. He should be convicted for not securing his weapon.

Shouldn't you be digging up non-existent data?
I should be putting together a presentation for next Tuesday but **** it.

You are all about the storage rule, I think it gets added quite frequently is what I was point out. Cool your tits.

I should be putting together a presentation for next Tuesday but **** it.

You are all about the storage rule, I think it gets added quite frequently is what I was point out. Cool your tits.
What is the penalty for not storing a weapon properly. That's the point.

Lol at you scrambling. Again.

What is the penalty for not storing a weapon properly. That's the point.

Lol at you scrambling. Again.

I was curious so I looked it up

Here is the law

(1) A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent or the person having charge of the minor, or without the supervision required by law, shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.
(2) It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, if a person violates subsection (1) by failing to store or leave a firearm in the required manner and as a result thereof a minor gains access to the firearm, without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent or the person having charge of the minor, and possesses or exhibits it, without the supervision required by law:
(a) In a public place; or
(b) In a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner in violation of s. 790.10.
This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.
1(3) As used in this act, the term “minor” means any person under the age of 16.

So it's a freaking misdemeanor.

Which means that if that was the "only" thing this guy did. Not only would the punishment be a slap on the wrist but he could also keep buying guns.

This should be treated like a DUI. Lose your license (right to buy a gun) for a while for the first offense assuming no one got hurt. If someone does get hurt you should go away for a very long time.

To me it should be obvious that the level of responsibility that goes along with having a gun should be at least equal to that of driving a car.

I was curious so I looked it up

Here is the law

(1) A person who stores or leaves, on a premise under his or her control, a loaded firearm, as defined in s. 790.001, and who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent or the person having charge of the minor, or without the supervision required by law, shall keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure or shall secure it with a trigger lock, except when the person is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity thereto that he or she can retrieve and use it as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.
(2) It is a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083, if a person violates subsection (1) by failing to store or leave a firearm in the required manner and as a result thereof a minor gains access to the firearm, without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent or the person having charge of the minor, and possesses or exhibits it, without the supervision required by law:
(a) In a public place; or
(b) In a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manner in violation of s. 790.10.
This subsection does not apply if the minor obtains the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person.
1(3) As used in this act, the term “minor” means any person under the age of 16.

So it's a freaking misdemeanor.

Which means that if that was the "only" thing this guy did. Not only would the punishment be a slap on the wrist but he could also keep buying guns.

This should be treated like a DUI. Lose your license (right to buy a gun) for a while for the first offense assuming no one got hurt. If someone does get hurt you should go away for a very long time.
Agreed. That's been a long held position of mine. One that I think all responsible gun owners could/should support.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
Young kids with bad intent are always going to get a gun…nothing we can do……thoughts and prayers….

on a non sarcastic note, how awful…but I’m just so absolutely sick of reading stories about kids getting killed by guns….gotta wonder what’s wrong with our country.

Agreed. That's been a long held position of mine. One that I think all responsible gun owners could/should support.

Fully agree as a gun owner. It's not hard to just be responsible. We require it with cars and 90% of us have driver's licenses. These laws are not going to hinder any responsible person's ability to get a gun.

Haha. So you just wanted to see the law itself? It's a second degree misdemeanor.

Don't you think that's a problem?

That if this was the "only" thing the guy did was leave his loaded gun out where an 8 year old can grab it and shoot another kid that his only punishment would be some sort of slap on the wrist AND because it's not a felony he can buy more guns???

And there isn't a provision in here that bumps it up to a felony if someone gets hurt. So you are potentially looking at a person who can leave their gun out in reach of a child, have that child kill another person with the gun. Then after their punishment was all said and done walk out of court or jail walk into a gun store and buy themselves some more guns and ammo.

Imagine if someone killed someone while driving drunk and we treated them the same way?

Reactions: Nole-4-Life
Fully agree as a gun owner. It's not hard to just be responsible. We require it with cars and 90% of us have driver's licenses. These laws are not going to hinder any responsible person's ability to get a gun.
Dude was living in a motel with his family. I’d wager there’s an addiction involved and he threw away any semblance of responsibility years ago.

Don't you think that's a problem?

That if this was the "only" thing the guy did was leave his loaded gun out where an 8 year old can grab it and shoot another kid that his only punishment would be some sort of slap on the wrist AND because it's not a felony he can buy more guns???

And there isn't a provision in here that bumps it up to a felony if someone gets hurt. So you are potentially looking at a person who can leave their gun out in reach of a child, have that child kill another person with the gun. Then after their punishment was all said and done walk out of court or jail walk into a gun store and buy themselves some more guns and ammo.

Imagine if someone killed someone while driving drunk and we treated them the same way?
I think it is a piggyback charge they put with other things. I think in the event a child finds a firearm and discharges it the adult is going to face other charges.

My reason for pointing it out to Riley is properly securing the firearm is major thing foe him, I'm showing him that that charge exist.

I think it is a piggyback charge they put with other things. I think in the event a child finds a firearm and discharges it the adult is going to face other charges.

My reason for pointing it out to Riley is properly securing the firearm is major thing foe him, I'm showing him that that charge exist.
That's never been my issue - it's that the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

And the law you are always talking about exist, that's the point.

You can say it until your blue in the face but I'll get to it when I get to it. Nothing you cry about is going to change my timeline.
That's never been in question. JFC.

I knew you would renege.

In related news, I saw an article today where a guy got out of his car and pulled his gun on the car behind him because she honked at him. The comments on the article were about what you'd expect. "If he tried that on me I would have gunned his ass down!" and similar comments. It's like the wild west.

gun1-png-1656422754.png

Maybe. . . but regardless it's one of many issues with gun safety where we just don't generally require people show some level of responsibility.

You have to at least take a test before you can legally drive a car.

In my state at least you don't have to do that with a gun. Such tests do not exist.

Want gun. . . buy gun.

Tests don't even have to be very hard. Just show me in a written test and a test at the range that you are capable of safely handling and shooting a firearm.

Maybe. . . but regardless it's one of many issues with gun safety where we just don't generally require people show some level of responsibility.

You have to at least take a test before you can legally drive a car.

In my state at least you don't have to do that with a gun. Such tests do not exist.

Want gun. . . buy gun.

Tests don't even have to be very hard. Just show me in a written test and a test at the range that you are capable of safely handling and shooting a firearm.
It was a felon who was illegally in possession.

In related news, I saw an article today where a guy got out of his car and pulled his gun on the car behind him because she honked at him. The comments on the article were about what you'd expect. "If he tried that on me I would have gunned his ass down!" and similar comments. It's like the wild west.

gun1-png-1656422754.png

To be fair having a gun pointed at you does in my estimation allow you to employ deadly force.

I'm not sure if it's wise since it would take you time to deploy your gun while it takes less time for him to pull the trigger. You sort of have to do your own guess there as to how likely it is that he will pull the trigger if you don't deploy your gun vs if you do.

But it would be self defense in my book.

According to the video - mom was asleep on the couch (shocker) in the motel (shocker) but didn't hear any gunshots (only thing surprising here).

To be fair having a gun pointed at you does in my estimation allow you to employ deadly force.

I'm not sure if it's wise since it would take you time to deploy your gun while it takes less time for him to pull the trigger.

But it would be self defense in my book.

Yes, according to the current culture and laws. I remember the good ol' days when everybody wasn't walking around packing heat and itching to use it.

ADVERTISEMENT