ADVERTISEMENT

9 rebel golfers axed by LIV Golf after inaugural event and where they have gone now

They will be fine. The Saudis will totally take care of them.

Reactions: IACub
The 48 player format feels gimmicky and it will definitely be interesting to see if bigger names are signed, which of the “middle-of-the-pack-but-still-a-name” type players (Bubba Watson for instance) get bumped.

Wait. Does this mean that LIV isn't actually "no cut"?

I'm not sure whether the inferences here are good or bad for the PGA. One the one hand, some of these guys seem to be going back to PGA/DP events. Who knows, perhaps a change of heart in terms of the perception of long term opportunity. On the other, if chaff is being shed in favor of wheat, that may suggest an improved wheat harvest.

Andy Ogletree

He came, he didn't conquer, he got paid £100,000, and he disappeared. Andy Ogletee was the first ever 'last place' finisher with LIV Golf, ending up 24 over par for his 54 holes. The 2019 US Amateur winner was duly axed, and barely been heard of since.

There's gotta be people on this board better than that...

Reactions: torbee

Andy Ogletree

He came, he didn't conquer, he got paid £100,000, and he disappeared. Andy Ogletee was the first ever 'last place' finisher with LIV Golf, ending up 24 over par for his 54 holes. The 2019 US Amateur winner was duly axed, and barely been heard of since.

I’m 8 over on 18 by about the 4th hole.

Andy Ogletree

On any given day, sure...

A son of a buddy of mine is a really good golfer. I think he's like +2/+3, with a high end home course you've heard of. After college, he and a couple of his college buddies decided to take a little time to think about whether they wanted to do Q school, by playing in a couple of high end tournaments. He ultimately decided not to. One of the guys went to Q school. Made the first day cut at -5. Second day cut was -11, which he didn't make. Not sure what the final cut was. Now the guys who get out of Q school and get their card don't suddenly start on the PGA Tour, or even the Korn Ferry. Nope - those guys basically have the ability to go try to play in Latin America or AsiaPac for a while, and maybe then they can jump to Korn Ferry on a regular basis. There are just so many high end players out there.

Ultimately, as the saying goes, it's a hard knock life. But if you've won the US Amateur, I'd probably take you over the HROT commentariat field any day of the week.

...which is to say, the perfect best ball full handicap playing partner!
Yeah, half the time my drives go straight a quarter of the time. My putting is OK, much improved due to my kids liking miniature golf. I sometimes hit the grass further than the ball with my irons… or I blade the crap out of the ball and my next shot ends up being twice as far. Sand trap? Forget it, I’ll take my 12.

Yeah, half the time my drives go straight a quarter of the time. My putting is OK, much improved due to my kids liking miniature golf. I sometimes hit the grass further than the ball with my irons.
One good shot will make up for two bad ones. And if you really are the Yogi Berra of golf quotes, you're definitely the ultimate best ball playing partner!

Yeah, half the time my drives go straight a quarter of the time. My putting is OK, much improved due to my kids liking miniature golf. I sometimes hit the grass further than the ball with my irons… or I blade the crap out of the ball and my next shot ends up being twice as far. Sand trap? Forget it, I’ll take my 12.
Our golf games sound very similar.

So, LIV related, I was listening to the Dan Patrick show, and he had Charles Barkley on, and Dan asked Charles if he was going to LIV? I thought it was a gag bit? But, Charles started talking at length and I realized something is going on, and he said he might be leaving TNT? LIV analyst?

So, LIV related, I was listening to the Dan Patrick show, and he had Charles Barkley on, and Dan asked Charles if he was going to LIV? I thought it was a gag bit? But, Charles started talking at length and I realized something is going on, and he said he might be leaving TNT? LIV analyst?
Pretty sure he met (or was supposed to meet) with LIV last week. I would be extremely disappointed if he left TNT for that. But $ talks. I’m not watching LIV regardless. But does his shtick work long term with “competitive” golf? It’s fun watching him roast Tom Brady during an exhibition. But not sure how it works in a situation like this?

Not to mention the gap it leaves at TNT. His rapport with Shaq/Kenny/Ernie is unmatched. Love watching basketball on TNT for that group alone. Selfishly, I want that group to stay together. Maybe he’ll use LIV to get a pay bump with TNT?

On any given day, sure...

A son of a buddy of mine is a really good golfer. I think he's like +2/+3, with a high end home course you've heard of. After college, he and a couple of his college buddies decided to take a little time to think about whether they wanted to do Q school, by playing in a couple of high end tournaments. He ultimately decided not to. One of the guys went to Q school. Made the first day cut at -5. Second day cut was -11, which he didn't make. Not sure what the final cut was. Now the guys who get out of Q school and get their card don't suddenly start on the PGA Tour, or even the Korn Ferry. Nope - those guys basically have the ability to go try to play in Latin America or AsiaPac for a while, and maybe then they can jump to Korn Ferry on a regular basis. There are just so many high end players out there.

Ultimately, as the saying goes, it's a hard knock life. But if you've won the US Amateur, I'd probably take you over the HROT commentariat field any day of the week.
The truth of the matter is that "really good golfers" are like really good shooting 6' white guys in basketball.....they are "really good" but they are a dime a dozen., and being "really good" is nothing special. A few of them will make it playing golf (or playing basketball).....However, most of them will earn a nice living selling life insurance.

The 48 player format feels gimmicky and it will definitely be interesting to see if bigger names are signed, which of the “middle-of-the-pack-but-still-a-name” type players (Bubba Watson for instance) get bumped.
The trouble with the shotgun start aspect is you cap the size of the field, so this is probably inevitable.
Pretty sure he met (or was supposed to meet) with LIV last week. I would be extremely disappointed if he left TNT for that. But $ talks. I’m not watching LIV regardless. But does his shtick work long term with “competitive” golf? It’s fun watching him roast Tom Brady during an exhibition. But not sure how it works in a situation like this?

Not to mention the gap it leaves at TNT. His rapport with Shaq/Kenny/Ernie is unmatched. Love watching basketball on TNT for that group alone. Selfishly, I want that group to stay together. Maybe he’ll use LIV to get a pay bump with TNT?
Reportedly, Barkley is grossly underpaid on TNT, and he LOVES golf.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

It may have been quoted in the clip above but I heard a few replay clips around 10:30 on the show where Barkley said that he would give TNT an appropriate amount of time and if LIV didn't give him a deal on this thing this weekend, it's over.

DP expressed some feelings after that I thought were totally fair (mostly because I feel this way too) and said it was disappointing that Ferity and Barkley are most likely going. He said he hates the LIV tour because he can't get over Saudi Arabia's role in 9/11. He said he had to brother in laws that were fire fighters who spent days picking out dead bodies from the rubble. He said if you can move on from that, good for you but he can't and won't.

Reactions: torbee
I hope Barkley leaves TNT for LIV. There has been so many non-golf fans dialed into this story and popping off nonsense in LIV related threads all over the web because they just love to see the carnage and watch the world burn. It's funny to pile on and watch an institution get destroyed. It's the same crowd that clamors about rules changes to baseball (ban the shift!) who never watch a game anyways.

A lot of people like Barkley and the NBA on TNT crew. Barkley leaving becoming a casualty in all of this would be fitting. More fans, and NBA fans no less, get to share in the pain that LIV is creating.

I hope Barkley leaves TNT for LIV. There has been so many non-golf fans dialed into this story and popping off nonsense in LIV related threads all over the web because they just love to see the carnage and watch the world burn. It's funny to pile on and watch an institution get destroyed. It's the same crowd that clamors about rules changes to baseball (ban the shift!) who never watch a game anyways.

A lot of people like Barkley and the NBA on TNT crew. Barkley leaving becoming a casualty in all of this would be fitting. More fans, and NBA fans no less, get to share in the pain that LIV is creating.
It’s funny until something happens to something they care about. Then THEY see how golf fans can take this personally.

LIV is not good for golf. Period. Full stop.

I think that's just human nature. We like train wrecks and chaos. It's how we are wired.

Golf or the PGA Tour?
Both.

They do nothing to grow the game. Nothing for charity. Nothing to help people who wish to pursue a career involved with golf, and no advocacy whatsoever for associations for superintendents, architects or builders.

Their only goal is to hurt the PGA and DP Tours under the guise of “competitive balance”. Which is only being accomplished by buying players off.

Reactions: steelhawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT