ADVERTISEMENT

9 yr old Hawkeye fan/cancer survivor & 4 time cancer survivor/Gopher football player bond at Kinnick

Well, my perspective on the Gophers just changed.. a little. I now hope the every snap, for every fg and extra point is handled cleanly. But, that is all that has changed.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I’m not crying, you’re crying.
Well, my perspective on the Gophers just changed.. a little. I now hope the every snap, for every fg and extra point is handled cleanly. But, that is all that has changed.
The kid is the third string holder so you should be hoping every snap on every field goal and extra point is horribly bobbled so he gets a chance to see the field.

This is fantastic. Having moved up to MSP last year, I have found most Minnesotans are much more tolerant of Iowa than Wisconsin!

For those that might not know, the sportscaster that narrated this is Randy Shaver. He's a Cedar Rapids native, Iowa State grad and 2 times cancer survivor himself.

This is fantastic. Having moved up to MSP last year, I have found most Minnesotans are much more tolerant of Iowa than Wisconsin!

For those that might not know, the sportscaster that narrated this is Randy Shaver. He's a Cedar Rapids native, Iowa State grad and 2 times cancer survivor himself.
Then why is their chant “We hate Iowa” rather than Wisconsin.

Reactions: Franisdaman
People. Remember when they could realize that there were others of them on the other side of football, or politics, or everything else?

Then why is their chant “We hate Iowa” rather than Wisconsin.

Because they haven't been smart enough to figure out how to make the words work yet! However, after a twelve pack of Surly in an ice fishing house this winter, I am sure the brain trust will figure it out!

Kare 11 TV is an NBC affiliate. They do a wonderful job with stories like this and they have received many national awards for the stories they have produced over the years. A lot of their stories are tearjerkers, just like this one.

Reactions: hawkisak
Kare 11 TV is an NBC affiliate. They do a wonderful job with stories like this and they have received many national awards for the stories they have produced over the years. A lot of their stories are tearjerkers, just like this one.

KARE 11 has been our station of choice since moving up here. They do a great job with positive uplifting stories and speak more about the good in the world than focusing on all the bad.

The Gophers radio play by play guy is Mike Grimm, who used to work at WMT in Cedar Rapids. Met him years ago at the Mall of the Universe. Very nice person.

Reactions: rchawk and hawkisak
Make that a 5 time cancer survivor.

Gophers holder Casey O'Brien shares he has beaten cancer for the fifth time
By Megan Ryan
Minneapolis Star Tribune
MAY 8, 2020 — 5:58PM

Gophers holder Casey O'Brien captured national attention this past football season, sharing his years-long battle with osteosarcoma, a rare cancer he has beaten four times.

Make that five now.

The junior tweeted Friday how he had finished his final day of chemotherapy, adding he "can't wait to go play football."

O'Brien first learned of his bone cancer at age 13 and has since undergone a full left knee replacement, several lung surgeries and multiple chemotherapy treatments. He had been nearly two years cancer-free before announcing he had another spot on one of his lungs removed the final week of the regular season back in November. He sat out that game against Wisconsin but still joined the team in Tampa, Fla., for the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1.

The walk-on made his collegiate debut about a month earlier at Rutgers. He also spoke at the Big Ten's Kickoff Luncheon this past summer, had ESPN College GameDay feature him and won this year's Disney Spirit Award for inspiring others.

https://www.startribune.com/gophers-holder-casey-o-brien-shares-he-has-beaten-cancer-for-the-fifth-time/570323782/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT