ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

I hope he doesn't just focus on baseball. I think Brody can also stretch the field. He's a huge target with a large catching zone and good speed.

But he might have major league $$$ in his near future so I fear disappointment for the football team.

I hope he doesn't just focus on baseball. I think Brody can also stretch the field. He's a huge target with a large catching zone and good speed.

But he might have major league $$$ in his near future so I fear disappointment for the football team.
my fears exactly. (they say that great minds think alike)

I hope and pray that I am wrong on this prediction, but in all honesty I just do not see this guy contributing in a big way to the Iowa football team. I would LOVE for him to be our version of Bo Jackson, but I just do not see it. I feel that that are too many millions to be made pitching. He is probably the next version of Randy Johnson, "The Big Unit," than Bo Jackson.
Well According to SI he ran a 4.45 40! He is tall 6'4. I hope he can be a game changer at that position. He definitely has the physical skill set to be that guy! So why not! GO HAWKS!

I demand to see some Brody PT this fall at 'X' WR! :)
I have often fantasized on what it must be like to have a dual identity. Of course, I am just stock with my own simple self for eternity, I guess, but Brody Brecht might be one of those rare individuals who live the dream.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
101mph but no control doesnt matter. The games he has pitched thus far, he needs to stay in college and get coached.

how was his control in high school? I thought he was lights out?
He was facing high schoolers he could put it on a Tee for most of them and record outs. If he does that now he will get smoked. He’s starting to learn now how to be a pitcher and not a thrower.

Reactions: Franisdaman
It took Nolan Ryan a few years to learn how to be a pitcher. But I think he hit mid-upper 100s often, but my memory may be off

how was his control in high school? I thought he was lights out?
guessing he will be fine after being in the program a little longer, from what I hear, had some control issues in HS, high pitch counts a lot, he is really raw and did not get much coaching in HS, just threw a lot harder than anyone else

guessing he will be fine after being in the program a little longer, from what I hear, had some control issues in HS, high pitch counts a lot, he is really raw and did not get much coaching in HS, just threw a lot harder than anyone else
None of that is true, but I’m sure your next 3 posts will separate yourself from the troll pack.

It took Nolan Ryan a few years to learn how to be a pitcher. But I think he hit mid-upper 100s often, but my memory may be off
yes, I am old enough to remember Nolan Ryan. Doubt anybody here is old enough to remember Bob Feller, but did they ever figure out how fast he threw? don't think they had the technology to measure it back then, but heard there was supposedly some crude test done that showed 100 mph.

None of that is true, but I’m sure your next 3 posts will separate yourself from the troll pack.
not troll at all, actually a fan and excited to see CIML kids do well, watched him play a handful of times as a nephews team competed against them in high school. Most of those comments are true; he threw harder than anyone, he had some high pitch counts, and raw meaning he didn't do a lot of "extra" seasons due to being a multi sport athlete

They do measure out of the hand vs. how they did it years back. I think it is 4-6 mph difference. Either way it is some serious gas. Whats crazy is how many young guys throw so hard due to training and top notch coaching. The problem is throwing that hard makes it very easy to injure you arm, shoulder, elbow. I do hope he gets a chance to toss a couple on the end around called by the QB coach. Looking forward to seeing him pitch and on fall Saturdays.

yes, I am old enough to remember Nolan Ryan. Doubt anybody here is old enough to remember Bob Feller, but did they ever figure out how fast he threw? don't think they had the technology to measure it back then, but heard there was supposedly some crude test done that showed 100 mph.
Watch the documentary “Fastball”, it’s really good.

Reactions: GarryO37
They do measure out of the hand vs. how they did it years back. I think it is 4-6 mph difference. Either way it is some serious gas. Whats crazy is how many young guys throw so hard due to training and top notch coaching. The problem is throwing that hard makes it very easy to injure you arm, shoulder, elbow. I do hope he gets a chance to toss a couple on the end around called by the QB coach. Looking forward to seeing him pitch and on fall Saturdays.
Today’s pitching training is fascinating. My HS senior is a pitcher and I’ve learned a ton seeing all the philosophies out there. My kid isn’t going on to major college or pro ball (largely average HS velo with a good change up), but he has a teammate who committed to NC State as a soph and was up around 90 when he shattered his upper arm doing pull-downs. He went through a ton of rehab and was cleared to throw and then he wound up breaking that same arm again throwing a bullpen. He’s now cleared to throw again and is going to take the plunge again. I love baseball, but I don’t think I could do that again, not after 2 breaks.

I think Feller was from Vinton or somewhere in that area?

Good to see he is making progress on the football field during Baseball season. That has to be hard to juggle both. Makes me hopefully he can emerge this fall.

This shows how much the athleticism has changed. Nolan's fastest pitch ever.

The Game Haus's Mark Rivard dug into just how fast The Ryan Express could hurl a ball toward home plate. He found that Ryan was once clocked at 100.9 MPH in the ninth inning (of all innings) of an 11-inning complete game loss against the Detroit Tigers on Aug. 20, 1974.Nov 4, 2021

Fastest pitch ever thrown in MLB.

As a result, Aroldis Chapman is credited with throwing the fastest pitch in MLB history. On Sept. 24, 2010, Chapman made MLB history. Then a rookie relief pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds, the fireballer unleashed a fastball clocked at 105.1 mph by PITCH/fx.

Robin Lund, Iowa's pitching coach, was interviewed on Monday on Harty's radio show/podcast, Hawk Fanatic. It's near the beginning and I would recommend listening. They talked about Morgan and Brecht and that they aren't pitching much now. My best effort at summarizing:

Both guys are very talented and great chance they will both be very good pitchers. Bright futures.
Control is biggest issue so far. Basically, if you are competing for spots and you walk 2 guys in a row, you are coming out. They can't put guys out there that don't throw strikes.
Both guys knew in HS they weren't coming out no matter what until they reached their pitch count as they were always the best option for the team to win the game. It's a different mentality in college as you have to perform or the next guy will come in.

It was a good discussion on their weekend with Michigan, how they analyze/look at pitching, etc. Harty asked him if college pitchers have to learn to "pitch to contact." Lund's answer was they have studied 1.5 million pitches delivered by Iowa and the opponent in the history of having the pitch tracking software and the only correlation they can find to inducing soft contact is throwing hard and throwing quality strikes (out of the middle of the plate). He basically said if you can't get swing and miss against college hitters, you aren't going to consistently get them out.

I would imagine Brecht and Morgan will be far better next year, and even perhaps sometime this year if they can get some consistency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT