ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

Watch the documentary “Fastball”, it’s really good.

I watched this awhile ago. Agreed, it’s really good.

I’m trying to remember. I know Bob Feller was talked about. But I thought they mentioned that Bob Feller didn’t throw anywhere close to 100 mph. I could be wrong, but I thought they figured it was in the 80s somewhere; which still would have been considered amazing back then.

I’m trying to remember. I know Bob Feller was talked about. But I thought they mentioned that Bob Feller didn’t throw anywhere close to 100 mph. I could be wrong, but I thought they figured it was in the 80s somewhere; which still would have been considered amazing back then.
I‘d have to go back to the doc for details as it’s been a while, but I think it was actually Walter ”Big Train” Johnson that was maybe only in the 80s. Feller was well up into the 90s, IIRC, if not all the way up with the all-timers. But it was fascinating to see all the changes in how velo has been measured over the years.

Reactions: GarryO37
Baseball $$ > Football $$ ...at least for any non-QB position.

I hope he sticks with FB, but wouldn't begrudge him if he decides to go all-in with baseball.

Risking major injury in FB, where his pro prospects are not as bright, just wouldn't make sense.

Feller threw over 100 mph. So did Walter Johnson. The top arms throughout history have all hovered just over 100 mph. The difference today is that many, many more guys are reaching those peak speeds. It used to be a matter of pure talent alone. Today, with advanced training and nutrition, there are pitchers reaching velocities they never would have been able to attain in the past.

Reactions: hawkifann
I‘d have to go back to the doc for details as it’s been a while, but I think it was actually Walter ”Big Train” Johnson that was maybe only in the 80s. Feller was well up into the 90s, IIRC, if not all the way up with the all-timers. But it was fascinating to see all the changes in how velo has been measured over the years.

Walter Johnson's speed was the greatest that many, many people in baseball ever saw. People who were around the game for decades after he stopped pitching. A fastball in the 80s isn't fast. To anyone.

Walter Johnson's speed was the greatest that many, many people in baseball ever saw. People who were around the game for decades after he stopped pitching. A fastball in the 80s isn't fast. To anyone.
Well, that was only part of the story. Walter Johnson’s fastball came out lower based on some of the measurement techniques - he was measured at the time as being 88-91 mph, which certainly is not special now, but the nature of the measurement had that speed being measured past where home plate would have been. Here’s a link and brief summary for what “Fastball” presented:

“In 1917, Johnson's fastball was tested in a Bridgeport, Conn., munitions laboratory at 122 feet per second, which converts to 83.2 mph. Feller's fastball was measured on the field in the late 1940s using Army equipment designed to measure artillery shell velocity. He clocked in at 98.6. And Ryan was clocked at 100.9 mph on Aug. 20, 1974, against the Tigers, when ABC's Monday Night Baseball first used a radar gun in a game.

But the speed of Johnson's fastball was measured after it would have crossed home plate. Feller's was measured at home plate. And Ryan's was measured approximately 10 feet in front of home plate. Today's MLB standard, the one by which Chapman was judged, is to use pitch speed measured at 50 feet from home plate.

"Johnson, Feller and Ryan were all timed in a very accurate way by reliable means, but the tests were very different from one another, based on where the ball was clocked," Hock said. "We had the opportunity to take these apples-to-oranges comparisons and make them apples-to-apples with the help of some brilliant physicists from Carnegie Mellon University."

Well, that was only part of the story. Walter Johnson’s fastball came out lower based on some of the measurement techniques - he was measured at the time as being 88-91 mph, which certainly is not special now, but the nature of the measurement had that speed being measured past where home plate would have been. Here’s a link and brief summary for what “Fastball” presented:

“In 1917, Johnson's fastball was tested in a Bridgeport, Conn., munitions laboratory at 122 feet per second, which converts to 83.2 mph. Feller's fastball was measured on the field in the late 1940s using Army equipment designed to measure artillery shell velocity. He clocked in at 98.6. And Ryan was clocked at 100.9 mph on Aug. 20, 1974, against the Tigers, when ABC's Monday Night Baseball first used a radar gun in a game.

But the speed of Johnson's fastball was measured after it would have crossed home plate. Feller's was measured at home plate. And Ryan's was measured approximately 10 feet in front of home plate. Today's MLB standard, the one by which Chapman was judged, is to use pitch speed measured at 50 feet from home plate.

"Johnson, Feller and Ryan were all timed in a very accurate way by reliable means, but the tests were very different from one another, based on where the ball was clocked," Hock said. "We had the opportunity to take these apples-to-oranges comparisons and make them apples-to-apples with the help of some brilliant physicists from Carnegie Mellon University."

I’m aware of all of this. Walter Johnson threw significantly harder than 88-91 mph. That’s not impressive to anyone. At any time. Almost to a man, everyone who saw Johnson throw said he was the fastest ever.

Walter Johnson threw significantly harder than 88-91 mph. That’s not impressive to anyone. At any time.
Yep, i’m sure he was more in the mid 90s at least. However, that was very fast back in those days. Especially considering the science of mechanics hadn’t really been developed yet. Not many, if any, could reach 100+ if not for the modern science of mechanics, along with conditioning and nutrition. At least not on a consistent basis.

*Nolan Ryan being the exception and one of the founders in the art of modern throwing mechanics

I’m aware of all of this. Walter Johnson threw significantly harder than 88-91 mph. That’s not impressive to anyone. At any time. Almost to a man, everyone who saw Johnson throw said he was the fastest ever.
Well of course he did. My post #323 was faulty from memory. I was remembering the *measurement* of Walter Johnson, not what he actually threw. Nobody really knows for sure where he topped out, but the high 80s measurement came at a distance point farther than 60 feet from the release point, so it’s not apples to apples with how we measure today. The ball was obviously traveling much faster at the point where we measure velo today.

Personally, I think the hardest throwers from every era were fairly comparable. There can be some variance given the composition of the baseball and how that’s changed over time, but I think there are limits to what the human arm is capable of and elite arm talent seems to top out around 100-105 and probably always has. I think we’re inching that number up a very small amount with modern training programs, but the biggest impact today’s training methods have had is to increase the number of guys hitting up against those maximums.

Will warm weather and a big wind make much difference in his speed?
In terms of velo? Probably not. I suppose nasty winds can mess with everything, but a guy who can throw 100 will throw hard regardless of conditions. Things like wind, humidity, temperature, elevation, etc., can impact spin rates and impact overall movement on pitches and overall command but they don’t typically play a big role in impacting velo.

Time to face reality on the BB football scholarship. Everyone has patiently waited to see how this plays out but the experiment is nearing an end. Every scholarship matters.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Time to face reality on the BB football scholarship. Everyone has patiently waited to see how this plays out but the experiment is nearing an end. Every scholarship matters.
How many times does it need to be said that

A) Brody himself stated multiple times he wants to play football

B) Since he enrolled in school, he is not draft eligible until 2024.

Reactions: Franisdaman
britney-britney-spears.gif

Soooo….cut him in football because he might get drafted after the 2024 baseball season? Seems prudent.

Soooo….cut him in football because he might get drafted after the 2024 baseball season? Seems prudent.
Nearing an end as I said. If he wants to play fb he needs to play fb. The grace period of partial involvement only lasts so long for many reasons. The magical world of dabbling in both does not work at this level as you will see.

• Haha
Nearing an end as I said. If he wants to play fb he needs to play fb. The grace period of partial involvement only lasts so long for many reasons. The magical world of dabbling in both does not work at this level as you will see.

His performance trainer is Jeff Szmardjia’s brother. I don’t envision that Brecht is about to give up dabbling in both football and baseball.

Moreover, if he abandons football, there may be incentives for him to look at other baseball programs.

I agree, nearing the end. Just 2 more years minimum.

This is just weird anyway. Charlie transferred late giving the staff no time to really go after another WR. This isn't the year at the very least to start thinking about him off the team.

He can be valuable to both programs. He's finally healthy. Great work by him.

Kf wouldn't have given him a scholly if he cared

I agree, nearing the end. Just 2 more years minimum.

This is just weird anyway. Charlie transferred late giving the staff no time to really go after another WR. This isn't the year at the very least to start thinking about him off the team.

He can be valuable to both programs. He's finally healthy. Great work by him.
Why is it weird?

Wait, there are two other baseball players playing football that are better than Brody? Who the hell are they?
Here are the top 3:

1. Will Taylor, Clemson

Taylor last year was the highest-ranked prep draft prospect (No. 21) to go undrafted and end up in college. At Clemson, he is playing outfield and wide receiver and made a quick impact as a freshman in both sports, though he was limited by a torn ACL last October. He played five football games, mostly on special teams, before his injury. He missed most of the spring before returning to the diamond in May and playing 13 games for the Tigers. He went 13-for-50 with a home run and stolen base.

2. Jay Woolfolk, Virginia

Woolfolk was a standout baseball and football player in high school and was honored as the MaxPreps Virginia male athlete of the year in June 2021. He continued to excel as a two-sport athlete as a freshman. In the fall, he appeared in five games, starting one, at quarterback. He became the first true freshman quarterback to start a game for the Cavaliers since 1977. On the diamond, he became one of UVA’s top relievers and his 28 appearances were tied for the team lead. He was a Freshman All-American after going 3-0, 2.87 with 55 strikeouts in 37.2 innings. The righthander has an exciting three-pitch arsenal on the mound and his athleticism plays well in both sports.

3. Brody Brecht, Iowa

Brecht was ranked as the No. 100 draft prospect as a righthander in 2021 and also was a four-star wide receiver prospect according to 247Sports. A thumb injury in training camp for football set him back last fall and he redshirted. He was back in action in the spring, however, and made waves as he ran his fastball up to 100 mph. He went 1-4, 3.18 with 44 strikeouts and 25 walks in 22.2 innings, mostly pitching in relief. His control is still an issue—in addition to the 25 walks, he hit two batters and threw 10 wild pitches—but his fastball-slider combination and athleticism give him high-end upside. Brecht has again been dinged up in training camp but is expected to play a role in the offense this fall.

Yup. Reality is closing in.

• Haha
I know. He’s 2 weeks into his sophomore/redshirt freshman season. The dream is dead.
The fastball is not really working for Iowa football. Last fall injured, spring ball was baseball, second fall is baseball rehab stint. Next spring baseball. Has barely even practiced. The scholarship is too valuable for part timers. Sounds like a great kid but coaches will be pressing the issue this winter. As they should.

ADVERTISEMENT