ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

I hope this doesn't come back to bite him
The dude throws over 100mph and is still playing. You think he saying this for no reason?

I think all WestCoast is saying is that his professional sports future is most likely baseball

Right now Brody is playing 2 sports that he loves at the D1 level. That's pretty incredible and good for him

I think all WestCoast is saying is that his professional sports future is most likely baseball

Right now Brody is playing 2 sports that he loves at the D1 level. That's pretty incredible and good for him
Brody said that his first love is football by a wide margin. I see him sticking there unless something changes drastically.

Brody said that his first love is football by a wide margin. I see him sticking there unless something changes drastically.

he had some control problems last baseball season. man, if he gets that under control....

what a special talent and a great guy. both programs are lucky to have him.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Hunter Dekkers threw low to mid 90's in HS and is left-handed. Couldn't believe he chose to play FB.

Brecht pitched a perfect 5 innings today in a 7-1 win over Quinnipiac. Rick Heller pulled him after 68 pitches.

His stat line:

5 Innings Pitched
68 total pitches (4.53 pitches/batter faced)
44 strikes

15 batters faced
10 Strike outs
4 ground outs
1 fly out

0 Walks
0 Wild Pitches
0 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

0 Hits
0 Runs
0 Errors by the team

Brecht pitched a perfect 5 innings today in a 7-1 win over Quinnipiac. Rick Heller pulled him after 68 pitches.

His stat line:

5 Innings Pitched
44 strikes

15 batters faced
10 Strike outs
4 ground outs
1 fly out

0 Walks
0 Wild Pitches
0 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

0 Hits
0 Runs
0 Errors by the team
That’s awesome. This early in the season, I’m sure it was predominately the fastball, so it’s good to see that he was locating it. No walks is big. Without a base runner, there wouldn’t be any wild pitches, even if he did throw anything to the backstop, but no walks is a great start for him.

That’s awesome. This early in the season, I’m sure it was predominately the fastball, so it’s good to see that he was locating it. No walks is big. Without a base runner, there wouldn’t be any wild pitches, even if he did throw anything to the backstop, but no walks is a great start for him.

yeah, i was just trying to show that he had control of his pitches by giving the full stat line.

no hit batters, too. Sometimes batters try to do anything (ie, leaning in) to get on base.

i thought it was interesting, too, that he only threw on average 4.5 pitches to each batter. 15 up, 15 down, if pretty quick fashion.

yeah, i was just trying to show that he had control of his pitches by giving the full stat line.

no hit batters, too. Sometimes batters try to do anything (ie, leaning in) to get on base.

i thought it was interesting, too, that he only threw on average 4.5 pitches to each batter. 15 up, 15 down, if pretty quick fashion.
Oh yeah, I get it, was just pointing out the WP thing. I would guess Quinnipiac isn’t great, but the more Brecht can be efficient with the fastball, the better he’ll be overall. I don’t know for sure he was heavy fastball, but I would assume he was. He certainly has a plus fastball, so the more damage he can do with it, the more of an advantageous position he’ll be in consistently.

Yes. Needs to dump football. Why risk the MLB for 7-5 and Music City Bowels. Not like he will develop with that crap coaching staff. Besides, he is tall. That’s it, doesn’t look like he wants hit. Don’t blame him, again why risk it for really nothing.
Lol, Stop sounding like a moron. We have averaged over 9 wins per season since 2015. Try to keep up. I'm sure your not used to seeing that being a fusker fan.

His stat line:

5 Innings Pitched
44 strikes

15 batters faced
10 Strike outs
4 ground outs
1 fly out

0 Walks
0 Wild Pitches
0 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

0 Hits
0 Runs
0 Errors by the team
Wow, that's really great to see. I only saw him a couple times last year but he couldn't find the zone either time. If he can dial it in he might not be around this fall.... cant teach 102

What were those low pitches? Seems like they were sinking, not like a fast ball......

Looks like he might have a slider or sinker.

If he can hit 100 at times, and has a decent slider/and or sinker. He gone...and he should be.

He looks like an MLB pitcher on the mound.

Looks like he might have a slider or sinker.

If he can hit 100 at times, and has a decent slider/and or sinker. He gone...and he should be.

He looks like an MLB pitcher on the mound.
Command was his problem last year. He was great at times and lost at times. Also worth noting that he’s not draft eligible until the 2024 MLB draft, so he’ll have 2 college baseball seasons and, assuming he continues to play, one more football season before he could be drafted.

Reactions: obfuscating
Command was his problem last year. He was great at times and lost at times. Also worth noting that he’s not draft eligible until the 2024 MLB draft, so he’ll have 2 college baseball seasons and, assuming he continues to play, one more football season before he could be drafted.

He could make himself eligible, but thankfully isnt. You are right in that he is a bit raw. It would be smart of him to drop football ASAP and refine his pitching command.

He could make himself eligible, but thankfully isnt. You are right in that he is a bit raw. It would be smart of him to drop football ASAP and refine his pitching command.
He can’t make himself eligible. In baseball, you can get drafted and sign out of HS or else you’re not eligible for 3 years. If he was in a rush to get out of Iowa and not play college baseball, he’d have to sign with an independent team or go overseas and play in Japan or something until he was eligible for the MLB draft after 2024.

I’m also not convinced that football is really hampering his baseball stuff. Not sure what his training regimen is during the fall for baseball, but my guess is that he’s still getting throwing in. He’s losing some fall work for sure, but it’s not necessarily catastrophic. In theory, I think he’d be more hurt on the football side by missing spring ball than he will be hurt on the baseball side due to playing football.

That said, injury risk is very real, though Jeff Samardzjia managed to work it out.

For a power pitcher that line is outstanding.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I’m also not convinced that football is really hampering his baseball stuff. Not sure what his training regimen is during the fall for baseball, but my guess is that he’s still getting throwing in. He’s losing some fall work for sure, but it’s not necessarily catastrophic. In theory, I think he’d be more hurt on the football side by missing spring ball than he will be hurt on the baseball side due to playing football.

That said, injury risk is very real, though Jeff Samardzjia managed to work it out.

At this point, what difference will football make for him? Its just a risk at this point. In Samardzjia's case, he was a good college football player. Brecht has barely played. Still, baseball was the right decision for him I am sure even with his up and down career.

Yes. Needs to dump football. Why risk the MLB for 7-5 and Music City Bowels. Not like he will develop with that crap coaching staff. Besides, he is tall. That’s it, doesn’t look like he wants hit. Don’t blame him, again why risk it for really nothing.
Does he have the runs? I have colon problems sometimes and loose bowels are a pain in the arse! Literally.

In a different sport with different rules he did. Iowa, Kirkwood, Iowa. Wonder if that would have made him eligible for the MLB draft?
I don't know about baseball but seems like they will draft a player no matter the circumstances if they see potential there.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
How would that work with a kid who played JUCO and is done at 20?
JUCO offers a player eligibility after each year. Here's the Rule 4 Draft rules:

Players who have graduated high school but not attended college are eligible for the draft, as are those who have completed at least one year of junior college. Players attending four-year colleges are eligible to be drafted upon completing their junior year or turning 21 years old.

JUCO offers a player eligibility after each year. Here's the Rule 4 Draft rules:

Players who have graduated high school but not attended college are eligible for the draft, as are those who have completed at least one year of junior college. Players attending four-year colleges are eligible to be drafted upon completing their junior year or turning 21 years old.

Pretty sure the key is what you do first. If you go the 4-yr college route as your first move after HS, you’re then tied to doing 3 years/age 21. Brecht clearly values playing football - he could have just opted for a big signing bonus getting drafted out of HS if he hadn’t made it very clear to scouts that he wanted to pursue football at Iowa. I’m not going to begrudge his attempt at a football career, though it seems quite certain that baseball will be his pro path.

Also, not sure why he’d drop out to go JUCO even if it would get him into the draft a year earlier. He’s much better off pitching in a major D1 program, whether he plays football or not.

Pretty sure the key is what you do first. If you go the 4-yr college route as your first move after HS, you’re then tied to doing 3 years/age 21. Brecht clearly values playing football - he could have just opted for a big signing bonus getting drafted out of HS if he hadn’t made it very clear to scouts that he wanted to pursue football at Iowa. I’m not going to begrudge his attempt at a football career, though it seems quite certain that baseball will be his pro path.

Also, not sure why he’d drop out to go JUCO even if it would get him into the draft a year earlier. He’s much better off pitching in a major D1 program, whether he plays football or not.
You can start at a 4-year and transfer to a JUCO to become draft eligible. Dismissing the obvious with Brecht (he’s not leaving), I doubt a player could transfer in February to a JUCO and be eligible mid-semester.

You can start at a 4-year and transfer to a JUCO to become draft eligible. Dismissing the obvious with Brecht (he’s not leaving), I doubt a player could transfer in February to a JUCO and be eligible mid-semester.
That’s a fair point and thanks for clarification on that. I thought if you started a 4-year it set your clock no matter what. Either way, whether he plays football or not, it would make zero sense for Brecht to transfer to JUCO at this point.

Reactions: 2bagger22
At this point, what difference will football make for him? Its just a risk at this point. In Samardzjia's case, he was a good college football player. Brecht has barely played. Still, baseball was the right decision for him I am sure even with his up and down career.
Samardzjia had 7 receptions his first season playing football, Brody had 9.

ADVERTISEMENT