ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

For what it's worth, I asked someone who's extremely knowledgeable about the MLB draft and minor league stuff about what he thought about Brecht as a draft prospect this year. The guy isn't plugged into MLB front offices the way draft experts from major sources are, but, again, he's knowledgeable about the draft and about draft prospects.

He said he sees him as a 5th or 6th round talent right now (because of his secondary pitches), but doubts he would sign for 5th or 6th round money with a football commitment on the table.

On Brecht as a prospect

Brecht is playing football, as he's said many times now. It's his first love and he wants to play with Arland Bruce and the other guys he's made friends with.

Brecht is playing football, as he's said many times now. It's his first love and he wants to play with Arland Bruce and the other guys he's made friends with.
If he is drafted near fellow DM metro player Baumler was and gets a similar contract of 1.5 Million, his first love will be put to the test.

Reactions: nu2u and David1979
111th pitch.
Thanks coach.
Come on,,,coaches know the kids arms and a lot of it depends how much they stress their arms in between innings. Some guys throw 7-8 high stress fastballs in between innings which could add another 50 plus pitches,, some guys throw 3-4 high stress fastballs in between innings which equals 21 extra pitches.... big difference what you do in between innings. Pre-game warm up for some is more stressful than others, My point 110 is not a bad number by itself- it’s all the other stuff that you need to manage....Temperature of the day,etc is also a factor. Kid might have been wearing a motus sleeve which monitors his stress levels,on his arm ,lots of factors,,,I know the Ankeny coaches and they are good dudes.

Reactions: 2bagger22
You endorse to the current method of pitching. Many would agree with you. Guys like Tom House and Nolan Ryan from the old school would disagree with what you're saying.
Tom House had many disciples who ended up with arm problems. Mark Prior included.

1. 110 pitches for an 18 year old arm is a lot different than 110 pitches for a 30 year old arm
  2. In HS he may play a 35 game season and pitch 12 or so, not 162 and 36.
  3. Cy Young calls ya'll complaining a bunch of patsies (coincidentally I just looked up Cy Young's stats and saw he only got 76% of the HOF Vote)
  4. Is he playing baseball at Iowa too?

What? No pitch count limit?
110 is the max for HS pitchers in Iowa. If you hit 110 on a batter you are allowed to finish that batter, then must sit out a week.

Now, HS coaches don't seem to see the benefit of utilizing multiple pitchers throughout the year as they only want to win. So most teams will throw their studs to max every outing, injury and such be damned.

Every arm has an expiration date. One of our players was thrown to max every time out, the other pitchers didn't get much rotation so when it came crunch time and the stud(s) were out, the pitching struggled.

One of the studs was supposed to play college ball this year, well that plan is on hold for now as he had tommy john surgery... I wonder why.

If I was a big football fan, I would prefer the kid was a decent baseball player that threw mid 80s. Throwing mid to upper 90s likely makes this kid an mlb prospect. Where does his interest and commitment lie in that case?

Come on,,,coaches know the kids arms and a lot of it depends how much they stress their arms in between innings. Some guys throw 7-8 high stress fastballs in between innings which could add another 50 plus pitches,, some guys throw 3-4 high stress fastballs in between innings which equals 21 extra pitches.... big difference what you do in between innings. Pre-game warm up for some is more stressful than others, My point 110 is not a bad number by itself- it’s all the other stuff that you need to manage....Temperature of the day,etc is also a factor. Kid might have been wearing a motus sleeve which monitors his stress levels,on his arm ,lots of factors,,,I know the Ankeny coaches and they are good dudes.

Spot on. And it's not like he's throwing 110 pitches and then spending the last inning at SS.

If he is drafted near fellow DM metro player Baumler was and gets a similar contract of 1.5 Million, his first love will be put to the test.
Matt Bain & Chad Leistikow discussed this on the HawkCentral KXNO radio program tonight.

They talked about the fact that he's going to get drafted; it's just a matter of how high. And if he gets drafted high enough, he might have a decision to make.

They discuss Brody at the 11:30 mark.

That podcast is here:

Honestly, I am at least as excited for him (and Marcus Morgan, and some of the other baseball guys coming in) to make a difference on the baseball team... I'd love to head to Omaha in Hawkeye gear for the CWS sometime.

Reactions: Franisdaman
He’s old school. That’s an old school
approach to pitching. I love it.
For a professional, yes. For an at the time junior in High School, borderline insane. If he isn't on a strict pitch count and only pitches every 5th or 6th day with time for a proper warm up, there is something wrong. Otherwise they are just asking for another "Uncle Rico".

For a professional, yes. For an at the time junior in High School, borderline insane. If he isn't on a strict pitch count and only pitches every 5th or 6th day with time for a proper warm up, there is something wrong. Otherwise they are just asking for another "Uncle Rico".

No, it's an old school approach, period.

This is a nice, FREE story by @Blair Sanderson .

As you will read, right now he is hearing he could be picked in the top 5 rounds of the MLB Draft and depending on how he throws this year he could definitely move up.

And you will also see that for him to give up football, that would require the MLB team to offer a sum of money he can't refuse.

The story:

No, it's an old school approach, period.
For a high school kid - no. There are plenty of times an old school approach is just fine. For a high school pitcher it's just plain stupid. Here is a kid that could very well be a first round draft pick and bonus money in the millions. If you think it's OK to have him throw and throw, then talk to me after his next Tommy John. There are only so many bullets in the gun and why waste them in high school? Old school or not.

Reactions: ChiDoc
For a high school kid - no. There are plenty of times an old school approach is just fine. For a high school pitcher it's just plain stupid. Here is a kid that could very well be a first round draft pick and bonus money in the millions. If you think it's OK to have him throw and throw, then talk to me after his next Tommy John. There are only so many bullets in the gun and why waste them in high school? Old school or not.
The Cubs were absolutely furious after Kerry Wood threw 150 pitches in a state tournament game for Grand Prairie, TX high school. They had already drafted him when this happened, and of corse Wood’s career was cut short by arm problems.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
After reading the story... I think the chances of him being a football player are < than 50/50.

After reading the story... I think the chances of him being a football player are < than 50/50.
That was the point that I kind of alluded to earlier. What kind of fb player would he be if he split time with baseball? In today’s P5 football environment, it takes year round commitment from the players to reach their potential.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I have a nephew who throws that hard. Majors want three pitches.
He's 18. The majors would be several years down the road at a minimum. Pitch development is what the minor leagues are for. And good for your nephew. If he can throw 98 he is soon to make a lot of money.

Some food for thought: Youth, high school, college and pro pitchers threw and threw and threw for almost 100 years. And yet, arm injuries haven't decreased with the onset of low pitch counts and fewer outings. They've actually gone up.

Some food for thought: Youth, high school, college and pro pitchers threw and threw and threw for almost 100 years. And yet, arm injuries haven't decreased with the onset of low pitch counts and fewer outings. They've actually gone up.
Arm injuries have gone up because of velocity training. In 10-15 years there will be plenty of data to prove that. The human arm is not meant to throw a baseball overhand. My point is very simple. There is little to no reason to overthrow at this point. Why? To win a high school baseball game? You can argue all you want about what was done in the past. You will also find plenty of examples of those who had their arm blown out because they were overused by ego driven coaches and fathers. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a kid that can earn life changing money and there is no logical reason to throw more pitches simply to prove that he can.

Arm injuries have gone up because of velocity training. In 10-15 years there will be plenty of data to prove that. The human arm is not meant to throw a baseball overhand. My point is very simple. There is little to no reason to overthrow at this point. Why? To win a high school baseball game? You can argue all you want about what was done in the past. You will also find plenty of examples of those who had their arm blown out because they were overused by ego driven coaches and fathers. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a kid that can earn life changing money and there is no logical reason to throw more pitches simply to prove that he can.

Meh. I'll side with House and Ryan on this one. Throw as much as you can to build and maintain arm strength.

Who remembers Dick McVay from Norway?

He would come to CR and blow other HS teams away. Crowds would come out in droves to see his fastball.

Meh. I'll side with House and Ryan on this one. Throw as much as you can to build and maintain arm strength.
Meh - I'll be the kid's agent! And you cut and paste some actual quotes where either of them say a teen age pitcher should throw and throw and throw without concern.

Meh - I'll be the kid's agent! And you cut and paste some actual quotes where either of them say a teen age pitcher should throw and throw and throw without concern.
Read.
81cw30UsRBL.jpg

You can't really prove a lot of pitches cause arm problems. At best you can use stats but even then you don't know the mechanics of the pitch for each kid. Someone 5'8" throwing hard for 100 pitches is probably worse than if the kid is 6'4". just MHO.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
You can't really prove a lot of pitches cause arm problems. At best you can use stats but even then you don't know the mechanics of the pitch for each kid. Someone 5'8" throwing hard for 100 pitches is probably worse than if the kid is 6'4". just MHO.
It is not the fastball that puts undue stress on an arm, imo. The arm rotation on other pitches put the stress on elbow tendons and ligaments.

It is not the fastball that puts undue stress on an arm, imo. The arm rotation on other pitches put the stress on elbow tendons and ligaments.
That’s actually a myth. It’s more about how hard you throw than pitch type

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT