ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

The Cubs were absolutely furious after Kerry Wood threw 150 pitches in a state tournament game for Grand Prairie, TX high school. They had already drafted him when this happened, and of corse Wood’s career was cut short by arm pro

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Gotcha...I never pitched so I really don’t know. I just guessed
I used to hear the same thing all the time growing up. “You don’t need to be throwing curveballs yet because you’ll hurt your arm.” It wasn’t until recently that I found out that offspeed pitches (slider aside) put similar to or arguably less stress on your arm than a fastball does. I do think it’s good practice for young pitchers to focus on location and mechanics versus developing offspeed pitches, but they don’t necessarily seem to be worse over the long haul

With all the studies done on injuries and the correlation to pitch type, velocity, etc., I’m almost tempted to say that those factors are only relevant on a person to person basis (especially given the mixed results of said studies)

Reactions: BtwelveChamps
I used to hear the same thing all the time growing up. “You don’t need to be throwing curveballs yet because you’ll hurt your arm.” It wasn’t until recently that I found out that offspeed pitches (slider aside) put similar to or arguably less stress on your arm than a fastball does. I do think it’s good practice for young pitchers to focus on location and mechanics versus developing offspeed pitches, but they don’t necessarily seem to be worse over the long haul

With all the studies done on injuries and the correlation to pitch type, velocity, etc., I’m almost tempted to say that those factors are only relevant on a person to person basis (especially given the mixed results of said studies)
It’s more often because how to throw the curve ball is not properly taught.
Read his book.
regular throwing is not the same as over throwing. There is a limit whether you want to understand that if not.

My opinion and of course it’s a biased one is that unless he is drafted in the top two rounds he needs to go to college. I’ve watched this movie play out too many times for guys drafted higher than that. He could be a first round pick in three years by attending college.

My opinion and of course it’s a biased one is that unless he is drafted in the top two rounds he needs to go to college. I’ve watched this movie play out too many times for guys drafted higher than that. He could be a first round pick in three years by attending college.
Or he could be like former Ankeny pitcher Keaton McKinney. Who could have been drafted in the top 5 rounds but wanted to go to college. He had to get 2 Tommy johns and three years and had to retire.

This is a nice, FREE story by @Blair Sanderson .

As you will read, right now he is hearing he could be picked in the top 5 rounds of the MLB Draft and depending on how he throws this year he could definitely move up.

And you will also see that for him to give up football, that would require the MLB team to offer a sum of money he can't refuse.

The story:

My question is can he be drafted and then chose to stay or go. It seems in basketball they have to declare before the draft?

Reactions: Franisdaman
My question is can he be drafted and then chose to stay or go. It seems in basketball they have to declare before the draft?
His draft status is not contingent on any declaration but rather the bonus number he demands. He can demand $X, be drafted in the 10th round, and play both sports at Iowa. Signing a MLB contract only prevents him from playing collegiate baseball.

His draft status is not contingent on any declaration but rather the bonus number he demands. He can demand $X, be drafted in the 10th round, and play both sports at Iowa. Signing a MLB contract only prevents him from playing collegiate baseball.

Brody is definitely an elite prospect, top 10 round prospect. He’s a far better baseball prospect than he was a football one. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets drafted in the first 5.

But in my opinion, unless he’s drafted in the first or maybe second round he shouldn’t sign with anyone. Playing in the minors is pretty brutal and the singing bonus outside the first two rounds sucks. It’s honestly what I would advise my son if he was ever in that situation.

Brody has been an MLB prospect for a minute now. I’m sure he plans on playing both football and baseball at Iowa. As a pitcher, he should be allowed to. And it wouldn’t surprise me if that was agreed upon during his recruitment.

None of this matters if he gets paid over slot. He could be drafted in the 10th round, and still paid like a 1st-2nd rounder.

Or he could be like former Ankeny pitcher Keaton McKinney. Who could have been drafted in the top 5 rounds but wanted to go to college. He had to get 2 Tommy johns and three years and had to retire.

Maybe he wins the Heisman trophy as an Iowa WR and is the #1 pick in the NFL draft. That could happn.

Chase Burns throws 100. A lot of other guys get drafted based on other things. Potential, frame, etc. a 6’7 guy that throws 92 would go over Brecht.

So, one other guy. And Burns usually sits between 95-99. So does Petty. At 94-96, Brecht is right there with those guys.

Brody is definitely an elite prospect, top 10 round prospect. He’s a far better baseball prospect than he was a football one. It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets drafted in the first 5.

But in my opinion, unless he’s drafted in the first or maybe second round he shouldn’t sign with anyone. Playing in the minors is pretty brutal and the singing bonus outside the first two rounds sucks. It’s honestly what I would advise my son if he was ever in that situation.

Brody has been an MLB prospect for a minute now. I’m sure he plans on playing both football and baseball at Iowa. As a pitcher, he should be allowed to. And it wouldn’t surprise me if that was agreed upon during his recruitment.
Absolutely., the minors are brutal. Look at Bubba Starling from right here in Gardner Ks. Offered to play QB at Nebraska, I think he even signed LOI. Drafted by the Royals in round 1, and got 7.5 mil up front I believe, (the Royals couldn't afford to make the same mistake they did with local legend Albert Pujols) so they drafted him high and paid him up front. Long, long rode for Bubba in the minors. Minors from 2012 to 2019 Has been up and down a few times with the majors and currently back on a minor league contract. Career average right about .200. Pretty low bar for a guy considered the most athletic player in that years draft, "a can't miss star" .

Reactions: GarryO37
I don't care. I've been referring to how his fastball compares to the best in the country. That's all. He's right there with them.
Just read the prospect rankings - plenty of pitchers in the top 50 & 100 with consistent mid 90s fastballs.
If Bretchs was consistently 98+, you'd have a point, but it's not .

Reactions: HawkOn15
Just read the prospect rankings - plenty of pitchers in the top 50 & 100 with consistent mid 90s fastballs.
If Bretchs was consistently 98+, you'd have a point, but it's not .

He can throw 98. A couple of other guys in the country can. That's my point. It's not hard. lol

ADVERTISEMENT