ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

good news for Iowa baseball and football as Brody goes undrafted....
The longer he goes, the better, but don’t forget about teams having the ability to pay him over slot money. As I think I said before in this thread, one of 3 scenarios are true:
  • He really wants to play college football and keep an NFL path open - in which case he may not seriously entertain draft offers
  • He really wants to play pro baseball, at which point a high enough draft slot would convince him
  • He wants to play football, but has a number that would flip his opinion. If a team drafts him and hits that number, he might go.

Side note: Went to watch Ankeny play tonight and of course Brecht played well, but Weston Fulk pitched a perfect game in 6 innings. Game ended by mercy rule. Dude threw really hard and was riding the fastball but the off speed stuff looked great too. I think he's obviously overlooked due to Brecht but I think Fulk will be a great pitcher for the Hawks.

Reactions: rchawk
The longer he goes, the better, but don’t forget about teams having the ability to pay him over slot money. As I think I said before in this thread, one of 3 scenarios are true:
  • He really wants to play college football and keep an NFL path open - in which case he may not seriously entertain draft offers
  • He really wants to play pro baseball, at which point a high enough draft slot would convince him
  • He wants to play football, but has a number that would flip his opinion. If a team drafts him and hits that number, he might go.
Nah, at this point, if someone was going to pay him enough to buy out his commitment, it would have happened. They could go overslot, but he's good enough that he wouldn't have lasted this long if his asking price was in line with his perceived value.

Someone could still take a late flyer on him, but there's almost no chance he signs.

Reactions: rchawk
Nah, at this point, if someone was going to pay him enough to buy out his commitment, it would have happened. They could go overslot, but he's good enough that he wouldn't have lasted this long if his asking price was in line with his perceived value.

Someone could still take a late flyer on him, but there's almost no chance he signs.

Now that it’s gone this long, I think it’s pretty clear that prying scouts were told pretty clearly that he wanted to play football. If he were just a baseball kid who could throw 98 in HS with no other leverage/options, he’d have been drafted by now.

Good for him. I couldn’t imagine how hard it might have been for him to decide between a life long dream and playing professional baseball. MLB teams made the decision for him and now that stress is gone. Baseball will still be there for him, but you really only get one chance to fulfill your dream.
Yeah getting instruction from a coach like Heller isn’t exactly a major hindrance on Brody’s chances of playing baseball long term. Could actually be a great opportunity to boost his draft stock while also doing the football thing and getting a quality education. My opinion is definitely biased, but I think he made the right choice 😁

We’ll see if Brecht and Morgan meet the baseball hype. I hope Brecht has success in both sports, but him coming to Iowa is bigger for the baseball program than the football team.

We’ll see if Brecht and Morgan meet the baseball hype. I hope Brecht has success in both sports, but him coming to Iowa is bigger for the baseball program than the football team.

I've not seen him actually pitch yet but I don't know. I think he could be fantastic as a jump ball/deep threat guy. I don't see a reason why he couldn't be an Allen Lazard or Todd Blythe kind of WR for Iowa and it's not a player Iowa has always had on the roster. Either way my expectation would be that he makes a very good contribution to both programs which is awesome.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I've not seen him actually pitch yet but I don't know. I think he could be fantastic as a jump ball/deep threat guy. I don't see a reason why he couldn't be an Allen Lazard or Todd Blythe kind of WR for Iowa and it's not a player Iowa has always had on the roster. Either way my expectation would be that he makes a very good contribution to both programs which is awesome.
100 percent agree. Brody is a physical freak with huge size for a WR.

111 pitches is just fine this time of the year. The new pitch count rules are good and they are benefited by a max for the week as well as a nice build up progression.
I’d need to know a lot more about his regular workload and how his arm typically recovers. My rising HS senior is a pitcher and I’ve paid a lot of attention to his workload and how his arm feels after throwing. Most of the time, if he starts, he’ll go 70-90 pitches, depending on how well he’s throwing. A couple times a season, he’ll go over that. He’s topped 100 pitches a few times, but never routinely and only in close games where he’s throwing well and in a rhythm.

The biggest thing I look for is regular abuse and absurd individual games. If the workload is a reasonable build and we’re not talking dozens and dozens of high-stress pitches and a kid typically recovers well after, it should be fine.

111 as a one-off total doesn’t tell me much.

I just do not like the vibes I am getting to all of this. I mean, Iwish the young man well if he chooses baseball, but we really need receivers big-time like him. So I am kind of selfish.

Not to sound like an ass but you are selfish, just look up the average salary for both NFL/ MLB players and no where near the % to develop CTE? I wouldn't blame the kid for using his brain.

I just do not like the vibes I am getting to all of this. I mean, Iwish the young man well if he chooses baseball, but we really need receivers big-time like him. So I am kind of selfish.
What vibes? He had a thumb injury and we started the year with Tyrone Tracy, Nico Ragaini, Charlie Jones, Arland Bruce, Keegan Johnson and others. He redshirted.

If his heart was all-in on baseball and not football, he’d have taken a payday last summer. Not sure where he’d have been drafted if football wasn’t a factor, but an 18yo athletic kid who can throw 98 is attractive. I fully expect he’ll play both.

Yep, and would probably be a more athletic option back there compared to whats currently in place...
leespoons-talking-out-of-your-arse.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT