ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

They don't actually read crap on here do they?

I am excited for next season, just having 1 draft prospect at starting pitcher is a treat but the Hawks have 2. Morgan made huge progress last season, I'm hoping he takes another step forward.
They are aware of some of the things posted on this website and some others. My instinct is the coaches more so than the players.

None of them take any of this too seriously. One example is in the Indiana State game thread where the pitchers, and specifically the pitching coach, took some serious criticism, and that has come up in conversation, so I know they are aware. That was posted on another website, and some of the comments were really way over the top.

They are also aware of the baseball fanbase, and are appreciative of the fans. I've seen Coach Heller go into the stands after the game and thank some of the fans.

I, and some others, are trying to build the baseball NIL, and when I was down yesterday everyone thanked me, up to and including the equiment manager, and every player I saw. Admittedly I'm a unique fan due to my involvement, but I can assure you, every single person involved in the Iowa baseball program is aware of the fan support and appreciative of it.

Some really big news coming out soon about baseball NIL.

We've already had some big news. An apparel firm has agreed to logo merchandise for players. This same firm does Cooper DeJean's apparel as an example.

Back to pitching, in my view Marcus Morgan had a tremendous season last season. I think Cade takes the next step, and I think Cade is already awfully close.

Yesterday I was able to see the pitching technology the staff and players use. It's pretty remarkable the technology involved.

I share you excitement about next season. The pitching has the potential to be the best ever at Iowa, and they've made efforts to fill some other holes.

This week and class of 2025 announced his commitment, and I'm told to look for another announcement from a Canadian player. Not sure what class, if he's a transfer or recruit. I was so busy yesterday I actaully forgot his name.

Fall schedule:
Sept 15 first official practice
Sept. 15 – Scout Day (2 p.m.)
Sept. 21 – Mississauga (4 p.m.)
Sept. 29 – Madison College (3 p.m.)
Oct. 6 – Indian Hills CC (4 p.m.)
Oct. 17-19 – Black & Gold World Series

I was going to get a detailed practice schedule yesterday, but I forgot.

Reactions: ssckelley
#20 Iowa beat Seton Hall yesterday afternoon, 5-2.

Brody's line:
4 1/3 innings pitched
21 batters faced
100 pitches (53 strikes, 47 balls)

1 Hit allowed
6 walks
1 Wild pitch
1 Hit batter

11 strike outs

1 earned run

#18 Iowa lost to Auburn yesterday, 7-5.

Iowa led 3-2 after 6 innings (when Brody Brecht exited the game).

Brody's line:
6 innings pitched
25 batters faced
99 pitches (60 strikes, 39 balls)

2 Hits allowed
4 walks
0 Wild pitches
0 Hit batters

11 strike outs

1 earned run (of the 2 scored by Auburn thru 6 innings)

1.74 ERA for the season

Some highlights:

GHE2V3_WcAAAd5-

Brody Brecht got the start Friday, March 8th in Iowa's 5-4 loss at Jacksonville State.

Brody pitched 4 complete innings. After 4 innings, Iowa led 2-0.

They started the top of the 5th inning and then the rain & lightning came. The game was suspended and resumed the next day.

The Iowa bullpen took over the next day in the bottom of the 5th inning. The bullpen gave up 1 run in the 6th and 1 run in the 8th. Iowa led 4-2 heading into the bottom of the 9th but the bullpen gave up 3 runs, resulting in the 5-4 loss.

Brody's line:
4 innings pitched
18 batters faced
72 pitches (41 strikes, 31 balls)

1 Hit allowed
3 walks
1 Wild pitch
1 Hit batter

9 strike outs

0 earned runs

1.00 WHIP for this game (3 walks + 1 hit / 4 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

1.24 WHIP for the season
(15 walks + 9 hits / 19.33 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

1.16 ERA for the season

Last edited:
Brody Brecht got the start Friday, March 8th in Iowa's 5-4 loss at Jacksonville State.

Brody pitched 4 complete innings. After 4 innings, Iowa led 2-0.

Then the bullpen took over in the 5th inning. The bullpen gave up 1 run in the 6th and 1 run in the 8th. Iowa led 4-2 heading into the bottom of the 9th but the bullpen gave up 3 runs, resulting in the 5-4 loss.

Brody's line:
4 innings pitched
18 batters faced
72 pitches (41 strikes, 31 balls)

1 Hit allowed
3 walks
1 Wild pitch
1 Hit batter

9 strike outs

0 earned runs

1.00 WHIP for this game (3 walks + 1 hit / 4 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

1.24 WHIP for the season
(15 walks + 9 hits / 19.33 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

1.16 ERA for the season
Fyi...I think this game was delayed, presumably by weather. It started Friday night, andwent 4 innings, but was then suspended and resumed Saturday.

If I am right about that, then I think that probably explains the "short" outing for Brody.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Brody Brecht got the start Friday, March 15th in Iowa's 11-1 win vs Western Illinois.

Brody started the top of the 5th with Iowa leading 3-1. The 1st Western Illinois batter doubled. Brody WALKED the next 2 batters, LOADING the bases. Heller then went to the bullpen & brought in Young, who got Iowa out of the jam, not allowing any runs to score.

Brody's line:
4 innings pitched
23 batters faced
100 pitches (58 strikes, 42 balls)

4 Hits allowed
6 walks
1 Wild pitch
0 Hit batters
0 Balks

8 strike outs

1 earned run

2.50 WHIP for this game (6 walks + 4 hits / 4 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.
In 5 starts and 23.33 innings pitched:

1.46 WHIP for the season
(21 walks + 13 hits / 23.33 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

1.54 ERA for the season

Brody Brecht got the start in yesterday's 16-9 loss to Minnesota.

Brody pitched 3 complete innings; he gave up 7 EARNED runs in the top of the 3rd inning. The game was tied 7-7 after 3 innings.

The Iowa bullpen took over in the top of the 4th inning; the bullpen gave up 3 runs in the 4th, 1 run in the 5th and 5 runs in the 6th.

Brody's line:
3 innings pitched
16 batters faced
73 pitches (40 strikes, 33 balls)

5 Hits allowed
2 walks
1 Hit batter
0 Wild pitches
0 Balks

5 strike outs

7 earned runs (of the 7)

2.33 WHIP for this game (2 walks + 5 hits / 3 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

In 7 starts and 31.33 innings pitched:

1.63 WHIP for the season
(26 walks + 25 hits / 31.33 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

4.02 ERA for the season

Brody Brecht got the start in Game 2 of Saturday April 6th's double header vs Michigan (Iowa would lose 10-6).

Brody started the top of the 6th inning with Iowa leading 3-2. The 1st Michigan batter singled; the 2nd and 3rd batters struck out; Brody hit the 4th batter; the 5th batter tripled, driving in 2 runs. Heller then went to the bullpen & brought in Wheatley. Wheatley threw a wild pitch, allowing another Michigan run to score. The 6th batter walked; the 7th batter also walked, forcing Heller to bring in Beuter from the bullpen. The 8th batter grounded into the final out out at 3rd base. After 5 1/2 innings, Michigan led 5-3.

Michigan would then score 5 more runs in the 8th inning to put the game away.

Brody's line:
5 2/3 innings pitched
26 batters faced
109 pitches (70 strikes, 39 balls)

6 Hits allowed
2 walks
1 Hit batter
0 Wild pitches
0 Balks

11 strike outs

5 earned runs (of the 5)

1.41 WHIP for this game (2 walks + 6 hits / 5.67 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

In 8 starts and 37 innings pitched:

1.59 WHIP for the season
(28 walks + 31 hits / 37 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

4.62 ERA for the season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT