ADVERTISEMENT

98 Iowans on IOWA & ISU Rosters

Herkmeister

HB Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
I've always heard there are only 6 or 7 D1 football players in Iowa every year. Certainly not all the players on the roster will play or stay for 4 or 5 years. But it was surprising to see that many Iowa kids. I'm sure someone will challenge my counting but I had both teams with 49 home grown Iowa players.

How many are walkons? I am betting more than half of Iowa's players from Iowa are walk ons or were at least walk ons when they got here.

Last edited:
How many are walkons? I am betting more than half of Iowa's players from Iowa are walk ons or were at least walk ons when they got here.
Someone may know better than me but I was told by a walk on that they only offer 20 spots at Iowa. I do know a lot of guys go for 1 or 2 years and call it a day. I was just pleased to see that 100 Iowa athletes were taking advantage of the opportunity at our universities.

Their are 20 recruited walk-ons allowed at the FBS level (105 players total allowed for fall camp, per NCAA rules), and then there are usually a handful of traditional or non-recruited walk-ons that don't start practice until the first day of school.

As to the rest, the 5-7 number means high level D1 players that are good enough to play for anyone. Iowa and ISU will always have to fill out the remainder of their rosters with "reach" players or walk-on types. You hope that these guys can develop and fill in the gaps for your recruiting misses on scholarship players. When they do, you can have a solid team. When they don't, you go 4-8. Take a look at the all-time win-loss records for both Iowa and ISU to see how that typically works out.

Their are 20 recruited walk-ons allowed at the FBS level (105 players total allowed for fall camp, per NCAA rules), and then there are usually a handful of traditional or non-recruited walk-ons that don't start practice until the first day of school.

As to the rest, the 5-7 number means high level D1 players that are good enough to play for anyone. Iowa and ISU will always have to fill out the remainder of their rosters with "reach" players or walk-on types. You hope that these guys can develop and fill in the gaps for your recruiting misses on scholarship players. When they do, you can have a solid team. When they don't, you go 4-8. Take a look at the all-time win-loss records for both Iowa and ISU to see how that typically works out.
Very perceptive. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT