ADVERTISEMENT

A 10-second video clip just sold for $6.6 million

Morrison71

HB Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Between this and the NBA hot shot thing, I’m not sure what’s going on with this world. I must be getting old.

LONDON (Reuters) - In October 2020, Miami-based art collector Pablo Rodriguez-Fraile spent almost $67,000 on a 10-second video artwork that he could have watched for free online. Last week, he sold it for $6.6 million.

The video by digital artist Beeple, whose real name is Mike Winkelmann, was authenticated by blockchain, which serves as a digital signature to certify who owns it and that it is the original work.

It's a new type of digital asset - known as a non-fungible token (NFT) - that has exploded in popularity during the pandemic as enthusiasts and investors scramble to spend enormous sums of money on items that only exist online.
Click to shrink...

• Haha
Reactions: h-hawk
So apparently I can *buy* a video clip of some guy I've never heard of, making a layup. It'll cost me at least $9595. I won't even be the only one that owns this video clip, since there are 99 of them.

Why would anyone think this is something worth spending money on?

So apparently I can *buy* a video clip of some guy I've never heard of, making a layup. It'll cost me at least $9595. I won't even be the only one that owns this video clip, since there are 99 of them.

Why would anyone think this is something worth spending money on?

This whole thing hurts my brain.

Like trying to figure out when time began or the size of the universe hurt.

This whole thing hurts my brain.

Like trying to figure out when time began or the size of the universe hurt.
Exactly!

Like, at a fundamental level, I don't get it. I can go to youtube or wherever and pull up the same clip for free.

I might get it if it were some important piece of history caught on video, and no one could see it unless I told them they could/licensed the rights/sold it to them, etc. Like if I owned the Zapruder film and wanted to sell it. But this ain't that.

Bidding starts at $2.00, no reserve
4050869ac0a6802ad842cc652dbd2bf5.gif

Whoever spent $6.6M on that "Trump Art" has too much money and obviously needs to give some of it to me.

The NBA has to be LOL'ing that they've made $250M on this.

Reactions: VodkaSam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT