ADVERTISEMENT

A 13-year-old boy made and trafficked ‘ghost guns,’ authorities say, and then killed his sister with one

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Enterprising and tech-savvy, a 13-year-old boy had been making guns in his family’s Georgia home and then selling them on the streets, the Douglas County sheriff said.
The boy was allegedly trafficking his “ghost guns” — kits that let customers assemble firearms without serial numbers — not only to buyers in his own area, but also those in neighboring Carroll County and Atlanta about 20 miles away.

A 13-year-old weighing about 80 pounds was able to “make a weapon from start to finish,” Douglas County Sheriff Tim Pounds said at a Wednesday news conference.
On Nov. 27, the teenager was allegedly set to sell one of his wares to two men. But instead of buying the gun as agreed, the men robbed him and stole it, Pounds said.

So the 13-year-old pulled out another gun he’d made, aimed at the men as they left and fired, the sheriff added.

“But instead, he shot his sister,” Pounds said.
Fourteen-year-old Kyra Scott died at a hospital after she was shot, he said. Kyra’s older sister described the teen as “the kindest little girl you would’ve ever met” on a GoFundMe page raising money for her funeral.
Kyra’s 13-year-old brother admitted to unintentionally shooting his older sister, Pounds said; he’s been arrested and charged with murder. The Washington Post does not name juvenile defendants unless they are tried as adults.

Law enforcement officers also arrested one of the men they say robbed the boy — 19-year-old Yusef McArthur El — charging him with robbery and murder, according to a sheriff’s office news release. Deputies are still looking for the second man involved in the alleged robbery.

Douglas County Sheriff’s 1st Lt. Jon Mauney said his investigators are still trying to figure out how long the 13-year-old had been making guns and how many of the weapons are in circulation.

“I have a lot of unanswered questions,” Mauney said at Wednesday’s news conference.
Douglas County District Attorney Dalia Racine said her office will review the sheriff’s investigation once it’s completed and will determine what charges to bring and against whom.
Ghost guns, unregulated and nearly untraceable firearms with no serial numbers, are popping up at more crime scenes, and officials say they’re becoming a bigger problem. Law enforcement agencies recovered nearly 24,000 of them in the last five years, according to a May Justice Department news release. In 2016, they seized 1,750; last year that number had skyrocketed upward of 8,700.
Justice Dept. details proposed restrictions on ‘ghost guns’
On Monday, a ghost gun was used in a shooting at an Arizona high school in which a student was seriously injured, police in Phoenix said. The next day, an 18-year-old D.C. Public Schools student entering a high school was arrested after police said an X-ray scan revealed he was carrying a ghost gun. On Wednesday, police in Brooklyn said a high school student there was busted with $30,000 cash and a loaded “polymer ghost gun.”

The Los Angeles City Council voted on Tuesday to ban ghost guns after the police chief there reported the number of such firearms his officers had recovered spiked by about 400 percent since 2017. Los Angeles Police Department Chief Michel Moore linked that increase to a jump in homicides and other violent crimes.
“Ghost guns have been a ‘significant influencer’ in the surge of gun crime because they give criminals who aren’t allowed access to firearms the ability to get weapons,” according to Moore.
D.C. police see rise in devices that convert guns into fully automatic weapons
Last year, Carlos Canino, the special agent heading up the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives field office in Los Angeles, said his agents were finding ghost guns in 41 percent of their cases. He attributed the increase to technology that makes it easy for someone to legally order a kit online and then assemble the gun once it arrives on their doorstep.

“If you can go to one of these big-box stores and put that type of furniture together, if you’re putting together your kids Christmas toys, you can make a homemade gun. It’s that easy,” the agent told KABC. “It all comes in one box with the tools you need to do it with.”
Pounds — the sheriff in Georgia’s Douglas County — said never in his 40-plus-year law enforcement career has he seen a case in which a 13-year-old was making his own guns and then trafficking them on the street. He called such gun running “a super big deal.”
“There’s no serial numbers. You can’t trace that gun,” Pounds said. “ … It’s a bad thing for law enforcement all over the world.”

Republican congressional candidate Brad Zaun was the mayor of Urbandale, Iowa, when he went to an ex-girlfriend’s home in the middle of the night, pounded on the windows and called her a slut, according to a 2001 police report.

The report, unearthed by the Des Moines Register, threatens to imperil Zaun’s challenge to longtime Democratic Rep. Leonard Boswell in Iowa’s 3rd District — and Democrats have seized on the revelation, as well as reports of Zaun’s two home foreclosures, as evidence that his bid is on a downward slide.

The report says that Zaun’s former girlfriend, Michelle Condon, called police after Zaun showed up at her house in the middle of the night.

“Brad yelled from outside calling her slut and other names,” the police officer, Tricia Kubicek, wrote in the report. Zaun called the house later that night, and Kubicek answered the phone.

“Brad stated: ‘So how was Danny tonight anyway?’” according to the report, noting that Zaun was referring to a new relationship Condon had pursued.

Kubicek ordered Zaun to stay away from Condon, the file says.

Zaun told the Register he did not pound on the windows and doesn’t remember whether he called Condon names, though he put out a lengthy statement Thursday saying he was “deeply embarrassed” about the incident, calling it a “terrible use of judgment on my part.”

Strange how the article doesn’t even mention the boy and girl’s parent(s).

It's fairly clear that the gun sale gone bad occurred at the family home. Parents belong in prison. How pathetic.

Republican congressional candidate Brad Zaun was the mayor of Urbandale, Iowa, when he went to an ex-girlfriend’s home in the middle of the night, pounded on the windows and called her a slut, according to a 2001 police report.

The report, unearthed by the Des Moines Register, threatens to imperil Zaun’s challenge to longtime Democratic Rep. Leonard Boswell in Iowa’s 3rd District — and Democrats have seized on the revelation, as well as reports of Zaun’s two home foreclosures, as evidence that his bid is on a downward slide.

The report says that Zaun’s former girlfriend, Michelle Condon, called police after Zaun showed up at her house in the middle of the night.

“Brad yelled from outside calling her slut and other names,” the police officer, Tricia Kubicek, wrote in the report. Zaun called the house later that night, and Kubicek answered the phone.

“Brad stated: ‘So how was Danny tonight anyway?’” according to the report, noting that Zaun was referring to a new relationship Condon had pursued.

Kubicek ordered Zaun to stay away from Condon, the file says.

Zaun told the Register he did not pound on the windows and doesn’t remember whether he called Condon names, though he put out a lengthy statement Thursday saying he was “deeply embarrassed” about the incident, calling it a “terrible use of judgment on my part.”

How recent were the home foreclosures?

As far as the rest of it, you are looking at something that happened 20 years ago. Unless he's had more recent displays of this behavior it's not something that I would let color my view of him today.

Hey @dirtypool, want to check that premise?
lost my login info and used an email to sign up that i dont have anymore, but from the OP

He attributed the increase to technology that makes it easy for someone to legally order a kit online and then assemble the gun once it arrives on their doorstep”

If these kits are being bought legally online, hold the seller responsible if they are not doing their due diligence in regards to who they are selling to

lost my login info and used an email to sign up that i dont have anymore, but from the OP

He attributed the increase to technology that makes it easy for someone to legally order a kit online and then assemble the gun once it arrives on their doorstep”

If these kits are being bought legally online, hold the seller responsible if they are not doing their due diligence in regards to who they are selling to
I’m not sure if you realize what constitutes a ‘kit’, but it isn’t illegal to sell screws, springs and washers.
Someone can patiently pull the same items from bins themselves.

fgc9-kit.jpg

I’m not sure if you realize what constitutes a ‘kit’, but it isn’t illegal to sell screws, springs and washers.
Someone can patiently pull the same items from bins themselves.

fgc9-kit.jpg
And if a kit is going to be sold specifically to build a gun, then there should be due diligence in regards to who it is being sold to.

And if a kit is going to be sold specifically to build a gun, then there should be due diligence in regards to who it is being sold to.
I get the fantasyland scenario, just pointing out you’ll never get background checks for someone to buy a screw, spring, or washer, and that’s what these ‘kits’ actually are.
Banning selling certain screws, washers and springs together isn’t putting the genie back in the bottle is my point:

Guns can just come off the ‘manufacturing line‘ into the hands of someone who has them illegally. There doesn’t ever have to be a legal owner somewhere along the way.

I get the fantasyland scenario, just pointing out you’ll never get background checks for someone to buy a screw, spring, or washer, and that’s what these ‘kits’ actually are.
Banning selling certain screws, washers and springs together isn’t putting the genie back in the bottle is my point:

Guns can just come off the ‘manufacturing line‘ into the hands of someone who has them illegally. There doesn’t ever have to be a legal owner somewhere along the way.
I never mentioned banning certain screws, washers etc.
if kits are being sold specifically as a kit to build a gun and that kit gets sold to someone who shouldnt have it, the retailer of the kit should be held responsible.

it is astounding that there is a segment of our population that projects personal responsibility but cries at the thought of holding legal gun owners responsible if their weapons end up in the hands of someone it shouldn’t, or in this case hold the retailer of these kits responsible when they sell it to a 13 year old who traffics the weapons they build from the kits

I never mentioned banning certain screws, washers etc.

Who said you did?

if kits are being sold specifically as a kit to build a gun and that kit gets sold to someone who shouldnt have it, the retailer of the kit should be held responsible.
Enact your law and the makers of the guns will just buy the screws, washers and springs separately.
No one is going to be submitting to an FBI background check to buy an M2 washer.
I have no expectation it would stop anything that is currently already happening.
That’s my point.

Who said you did?

Enact your law and the makers of the guns will just buy the screws, washers and springs separately.
No one is going to be submitting to an FBI background check to buy an M2 washer.
I have no expectation it would stop anything that is currently already happening.
That’s my point.
They may very well go to the hardware store and buy each individual piece.

i am saying don’t make it easier for some shithead to be able to piece together a gun buy selling it as a kit. Why shouldn’t background checks be necessary for a kit packaged and sold for building a gun? I guess they could get around it by calling it “Sex Toys for OPs Mom Kit”

They may very well go to the hardware store and buy each individual piece.

i am saying don’t make it easier for some shithead to be able to piece together a gun buy selling it as a kit. Why shouldn’t background checks be necessary for a kit packaged and sold for building a gun? I guess they could get around it by calling it “Sex Toys for OPs Mom Kit”
Every time I show my ID to buy less effective cold medicine at the pharmacy I remind myself, at least we won the war on meth.

• Haha
Reactions: Gimmered
So we are back to the “nothing can be done so lets not do anything” argument
Get gun nut scofflaws like Daunte Wright off the streets.
That can be done.

I’m simply pointing out guns can be home manufactured now at low cost from untraceable parts.
You can’t do anything about that.
It’s just reality now.

Brownells-Polymer80-Kit-770.jpg

This is what need to be regulated, not screws springs and barrels. The 80% lower receivers and the jig kits are what is making the "ghost guns" possible. Americans have always had the right to make homemade fire arms, that shouldn't ever change. If someone wants one, let them learn the craft, not throw a plastic receiver in the jig and drill a few holes.

Americans have always had the right to make homemade fire arms, that shouldn't ever change. If someone wants one, let them learn the craft, not throw a plastic receiver in the jig and drill a few holes.
Just be careful out there.
Your 37mm launcher is just for “flares”, so that’s ok.
Your 40mm launcher doesn’t have a ‘sporting purpose’ and is regulated as a ‘destructive device’.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT