ADVERTISEMENT

A different look at things

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
The CFB landscape has never been crazier but it got me thinking about Iowa's place in the CFB world and how to move forward. In the old days, Iowa vary rarely got the top talent / 5 star kids because we didn't seem to want to play the recruiting "game" the same as other schools. What Iowa was great at was taking the 3 star kid and turning them in to a pro and has become known as one of the best developmental programs in the country.

Now, lets apply that to the fluidity of recruiting and the transfer portal. Iowa is still going to do decently in recruiting but will miss on a lot of high end players for the most part. They will either go to where they can get paid or better fits for them. Where the Iowa staff CAN make a huge difference is taking kids that were 4-5 star kids out of HS and are now in the portal. Maybe they went to a school originally and it didn't work out but they still have 2/3 years of eligibility left. What Iowa needs to do is sell the hell out of the developmental aspect and NFL ties to the portal kids. The talent is abundant in the portal now, but most of those kids are leaving for a better shot at getting to the league.

Granted, we will need a seller of large proportions for some positions that we have a poor history with (WR). If you are an OL, DL, TE, LB, CB, Safety, I would think Iowa has to be super attractive even if the NIL money isn't the same compared to another school. Iowa can really take an overall talent jump if they are willing.

Just my rambling 2 cents.

You are right, with that said the only thing that HAS to be done is fix this offense.

I really never got frustrated playing 17-14 football games vs a NW or Wiscy or even UM/PSU. That’s just how a lot of those games go! But 7 pts vs SDSU, 10 vs countless others, yuck…

In my mind, we won’t always have a “great offensive line” but we shouldn’t ever have the line we had this year ever… And I mean ever!!

Our recruiting and general processes, though slower than our fans want, are ever involving and good. If star rankings are important to you. We have dramatically improved or cachet in that area in the last three or four years… and I think we took the time to figure out how we wanted to handle the portal and we’re serious about it now!

But It’s also what makes this offensive train wreck so bizarre!! Everyone involved with the O shares some blame.

Fix that and I believe the rest takes care of itself!!

Last edited:
The CFB landscape has never been crazier but it got me thinking about Iowa's place in the CFB world and how to move forward. In the old days, Iowa vary rarely got the top talent / 5 star kids because we didn't seem to want to play the recruiting "game" the same as other schools. What Iowa was great at was taking the 3 star kid and turning them in to a pro and has become known as one of the best developmental programs in the country.

Now, lets apply that to the fluidity of recruiting and the transfer portal. Iowa is still going to do decently in recruiting but will miss on a lot of high end players for the most part. They will either go to where they can get paid or better fits for them. Where the Iowa staff CAN make a huge difference is taking kids that were 4-5 star kids out of HS and are now in the portal. Maybe they went to a school originally and it didn't work out but they still have 2/3 years of eligibility left. What Iowa needs to do is sell the hell out of the developmental aspect and NFL ties to the portal kids. The talent is abundant in the portal now, but most of those kids are leaving for a better shot at getting to the league.

Granted, we will need a seller of large proportions for some positions that we have a poor history with (WR). If you are an OL, DL, TE, LB, CB, Safety, I would think Iowa has to be super attractive even if the NIL money isn't the same compared to another school. Iowa can really take an overall talent jump if they are willing.

Just my rambling 2 cents.
LOL Ok Mary F, did Kirk have you write that. With that lazy approach good thing the schedule is as lame as it is every year. All these talented qbs running around all over the country and Hawks keep sending out these guys. 🙄

LOL Ok Mary F, did Kirk have you write that. With that lazy approach good thing the schedule is as lame as it is every year. All these talented qbs running around all over the country and Hawks keep sending out these guys. 🙄
Now we know why your on the scout team. You're "no daisey"......

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT