ADVERTISEMENT

A different perspective

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
I have to preface this with the fact that I am not an expert on basketball. I am just the average fan, and that is what these opinions are based on.

Prior to the Michigan game I felt like our matchup with them was not good. They had recently crushed Purdue (at Michigan) and then lost in a tough game with Ohio State and I felt like there might have been a bit of an emotional hangover there. I did not like our chances against Michigan.....felt like their size, defense, and good guard play were going to deliver a loss to the Hawks...and it might be a comfortable win for them.

Consequently, the outcome of this game shouldn't have been as disappointing as I feel like it is. The reason for that is the way we played....horrible stretch in the second half with dumb turnovers and more. During the course of the game our guys missed 3 dunks......missed 7 free throws (shooting 65% from the line), shot poorly from outside, etc etc. In watching that game we clearly could have and maybe should have won. Keegan having cramps....I don't recall that happening this year/season.

The flip side of my thinking about Michigan is that from a height perspective we matchup better with OSU and MSU.....physically they are stronger and will be a different type of challenge than Michigan, but I feel better about those two teams. Again, unfortunately, officiating will play a significant part in both games.

I don't often use the term "must win" for games until we are mathematically at that point. At this point in the season however, Nebraska and NW are must wins when looking at the remaining schedule. Those two would put us at a total of 19 wins.....I think ONE (1) more in the regular season and 1 in the BTT would then put us in the NCAA..not even trying to guess seeding.

IF the above stuff is close to an accurate guess, that means that at OSU, MSU home, at Michigan and at Illinois are where we have to get that other win....MSU at home obviously appears to be the best possibility BUT, this college basketball so ANYTHING is possible. We could lose all of the remaining games but that is unlikely. We could win all of these games but that is even more unlikely.

My wild ass guess is that we beat Neb & NW and get MSU at home....then sweat out the BTT results before we know what will happen next.

Last edited:
I completely agree with all of the above. We absolutely cannot lose to Nebraska. I wonder if we could sneak in at 9 wins if we don't manage to pull another game outside of the Nebraska and NW games. Or, if we the Hawks lose to NW, we will definitely need to pull off an upset on the road. I would also add that we cannot come out flat and get blown away in any of these games. I feel like the committee might cut some slack if the Hawks play well down the stretch.

I also look at it like this: if they can't manage to pull an upset and beat 1-2 quad 1 teams this season, then they shouldn't get in. They aren't a tourney team if they can't and wouldn't make it far anyway.

I completely agree with all of the above. We absolutely cannot lose to Nebraska. I wonder if we could sneak in at 9 wins if we don't manage to pull another game outside of the Nebraska and NW games. Or, if we the Hawks lose to NW, we will definitely need to pull off an upset on the road. I would also add that we cannot come out flat and get blown away in any of these games. I feel like the committee might cut some slack if the Hawks play well down the stretch.

I also look at it like this: if they can't manage to pull an upset and beat 1-2 quad 1 teams this season, then they shouldn't get in. They aren't a tourney team if they can't and wouldn't make it far anyway.
The dream or sneaking in with 9 is nearly dead. Only scenario would be losing to NW at home and winning at Illinois that might allow for it. Loss to Nebraska and the wheels are off.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I guess it’s just the nature of fans to want to make the tourney but given we have no quad 1 wins what expectations would we even have for the NCAA? It’s not likely Iowa would catch fire an knock off 2-3 quad 1 opponents all of the sudden, is it? Officiating might be a bit more accommodative I guess.

I’m at the point where I just want to hit reset on Hawkeye basketball. Frans not the answer but yet half of our fans think he is.

Michigan isn't that good.

The Dickinson matchup is tough and it killed Iowa.

Those lackadaisical double teams were Michigans best offense. Defensive preparation as an after thought, not uncommon for Iowa.

Those double teams looked like what you do in a walk through. You can't double when you're afraid to foul.

Would have probably been better off playing him straight up and earn every basket. Use the other bigs to eat fouls.

Diabate and Brooks feasted off the double teams.

I won money betting the first half "over" so it buffered my disappointment with the end result. Sadly, that's where I'm at with Iowa basketball at this point.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I agree with RocknRoll on the observation of the defensive effort. It's the B10 and you have to bring your best effort every night...and it wasn't good on the defensive end.

Generally I think it's possible (though I again don't claim to know what I am talking about here) that some of the wins we have turn into Quad 1 wins, and I think the Michigan loss could turn into a Quad 1 loss.

I view Michigan differently than some....I think that they had early season problems with youth and illness and are now starting to play pretty well. The crushing of Purdue is one example. A less than stellar effort in the loss to Ohio State and it was still reasonably close. I am guessing that Michigan finishes really strong and is capable of making some serious noise.

I agree with RocknRoll on the observation of the defensive effort. It's the B10 and you have to bring your best effort every night...and it wasn't good on the defensive end.

Generally I think it's possible (though I again don't claim to know what I am talking about here) that some of the wins we have turn into Quad 1 wins, and I think the Michigan loss could turn into a Quad 1 loss.

I view Michigan differently than some....I think that they had early season problems with youth and illness and are now starting to play pretty well. The crushing of Purdue is one example. A less than stellar effort in the loss to Ohio State and it was still reasonably close. I am guessing that Michigan finishes really strong and is capable of making some serious noise.
Regardless of how mich is playing now, we handed them that game on a silver platter. In similar fashion to how we handed psu and ru those wins. Easier to take an L when the effort is there and the other team just plain beats you, not quite as easy to take when the effort is shit and they think just by showing up they’ll win. That’s one of the many frustrating things about Fran, he seems to be totally fine with his guys playing half ass. He loves his depth…but at the same time seems afraid to use it to motivate guys to play harder! He’s done a poor job of creating the type of culture where max effort isn’t an option. Like i said in the game thread, I’ve never witnessed a team lose out on so many 50/50 balls. That is an absolute direct reflection on effort!
That being said, we’re due to knock off a good team at some point and I think we still sneak into the tourney somehow

Regardless of how mich is playing now, we handed them that game on a silver platter. In similar fashion to how we handed psu and ru those wins. Easier to take an L when the effort is there and the other team just plain beats you, not quite as easy to take when the effort is shit and they think just by showing up they’ll win. That’s one of the many frustrating things about Fran, he seems to be totally fine with his guys playing half ass. He loves his depth…but at the same time seems afraid to use it to motivate guys to play harder! He’s done a poor job of creating the type of culture where max effort isn’t an option. Like i said in the game thread, I’ve never witnessed a team lose out on so many 50/50 balls. That is an absolute direct reflection on effort!
That being said, we’re due to knock off a good team at some point and I think we still sneak into the tourney somehow
I get what you're saying and I agree with most of it.....

I try to keep a decent perspective because I love Iowa basketball....and I truthfully thought before the season that this team could win 18-20 games IF (BIG IF) everything went well. I thought that MIGHT put us in the NCAA but that an NIT bid more likely. I also thought that if things didn't go well, we might end up with a 15 or 16 win season. So, all in all I think we are headed for about that territory and that would meet my preseason expectations right?
I should be okay with that...

BUT, after watching this team I don't think they got everything they could have....Rutgers at home is really really tough. They have beaten teams from the top of the standings...and we came within an eyelash of beating them.

PSU is tough at home....had the ref called the travel on the last second 3 point shot by the PSU guy...we win. Those two games put us in a completely different position...we would be sitting on 19 wins with two solid chances to finish with 21 wins and maybe more...wow, what a difference.

So, I am left feeling a little deflated...but that could change for the better within the next week. I don't expect a win at OSU, but it is possible. I don't expect a win against MSU....but I think it could happen. Just like I don't expect to lose to Neb or NW...but it could happen. As painful as that is, it's what makes sports real and compelling.

This, you just don't see Iowa give max effort every night like an Msu or Illinois.

Some nights its there others not.

Two things I think would help are getting rid of the automatic 2 foul and sit thing and stop making all the PT decisions based on what's best for the offense.

Once Keegan gets that 1st first half foul he stops being the same defender he usually is. Iowa doesn’t have the luxury of sitting him with 2 fouls. Its not a productive trade off.

This, you just don't see Iowa give max effort every night like an Msu or Illinois.

Some nights its there others not.

Two things I think would help are getting rid of the automatic 2 foul and sit thing and stop making all the PT decisions based on what's best for the offense.

Once Keegan gets that 1st first half foul he stops being the same defender he usually is. Iowa doesn’t have the luxury of sitting him with 2 fouls. Its not a productive trade off.
MSU and Illinois don't do this either. Did you see the Rutgers vs Illinois game, lol. However, if you really want to be bitter about our teams effort, never EVER watch Houston play. I've never seen so many guys willing to throw themselves through a brick wall to save a ball going out of bounds.

I don't think Fran has gotten all he shoud have out of this team. Rutgers, Michigan, OSU, Indiana, MSU are similar and even Wisconsin which is competing for B1G have similar talent.

Fran clearly blew the Portal last year---he lost 2 starters and only brough in a mediocre small ball Big. The guard Minny brought in and the guard Illini brought and the Big Wisconsin brought in all woud have put Iowa over the top on talent.

I see a lot of optimistic posts about making NCAA tourney. The B1G looks way down to me and Iowa is around 8th place, I don't see a bid happening unless Iowa gets a road win at OSU, Michigan, or Illini and they have to hold home court and not lose to Nebraska on road.

I would like Fran to improve---I don't think his favoritism towards this two boys or JBO in PT helps team chemistry. I think we likely see 1-2 transfer outs this spring---that has been a problem for several years now.

PMAC is the 3rd best player on team, but is never put on the bench for lack of effort rebounding/defense and he can take any crazy shot he wants--that is double standard vs Kris Murray who is better is just about every statistical category and better defender. CMAC is everything you want in a player but just can't shoot, and that makes hims a deep bench guy. JBO is just athletically/size challenged. Those three have the union card and seniority over merit leads to transfers.

I don't think Fran has gotten all he shoud have out of this team. Rutgers, Michigan, OSU, Indiana, MSU are similar and even Wisconsin which is competing for B1G have similar talent.

Fran clearly blew the Portal last year---he lost 2 starters and only brough in a mediocre small ball Big. The guard Minny brought in and the guard Illini brought and the Big Wisconsin brought in all woud have put Iowa over the top on talent.

I see a lot of optimistic posts about making NCAA tourney. The B1G looks way down to me and Iowa is around 8th place, I don't see a bid happening unless Iowa gets a road win at OSU, Michigan, or Illini and they have to hold home court and not lose to Nebraska on road.

I would like Fran to improve---I don't think his favoritism towards this two boys or JBO in PT helps team chemistry. I think we likely see 1-2 transfer outs this spring---that has been a problem for several years now.

PMAC is the 3rd best player on team, but is never put on the bench for lack of effort rebounding/defense and he can take any crazy shot he wants--that is double standard vs Kris Murray who is better is just about every statistical category and better defender. CMAC is everything you want in a player but just can't shoot, and that makes hims a deep bench guy. JBO is just athletically/size challenged. Those three have the union card and seniority over merit leads to transfers.
You constantly regurgitate the same thing over and over, without ever accepting that Fran did try in the portal and the CJF f8**ed us over. If you could explain to everyone how his favoritism towards CMAC leads to him having the 9th most minutes during conference play on this team, I'd love to hear it. Perkins and Ulis have not shown they deserve any more playing time than Jabo during conference play, I really really wish they had, but they haven't. This is the problem. Our guards are a collection of 60%ers.

Couple of points I want to make after having calmed down about the loss last night.....
1. We missed quite a few layups and dunks. but I bet when I watch the game recording it will show we were fouled on about every one of those misses. If the game is officiated correctly (not gonna happen with Little Larry at the helm) I think we win.
2. A really good sign I saw was the emergence of a killer instinct in PattyMac. He is a laid back kind of guy but last night I saw some grit and determination, as well as that look in his eye. He nearly willed his team to a win down the stretch. This will pay dividends mark my word.

As an aside I nearly got sick from watching little Larry S strut back and forth in front of the scorer's table pregame flexing his biceps and posing in his way too tight referee shirt. Although quite small in stature he is sure proud of his little physique. He has an attitude that is not good for a referee and seems to think we are all there to watch him do his thing. Howard was in his head all night. Can't believe the long conversations the two had throughout the game. Did they show this on tv? Juwan gets away with more than perhaps any other B1G coach as far as profanity but I kind of like the guy. He does his job and protects his players.

Much better (louder) crowd last night but I can only imagine what it would be like if the students filled their sections.

Couple of points I want to make after having calmed down about the loss last night.....
1. We missed quite a few layups and dunks. but I bet when I watch the game recording it will show we were fouled on about every one of those misses. If the game is officiated correctly (not gonna happen with Little Larry at the helm) I think we win.
2. A really good sign I saw was the emergence of a killer instinct in PattyMac. He is a laid back kind of guy but last night I saw some grit and determination, as well as that look in his eye. He nearly willed his team to a win down the stretch. This will pay dividends mark my word.

As an aside I nearly got sick from watching little Larry S strut back and forth in front of the scorer's table pregame flexing his biceps and posing in his way too tight referee shirt. Although quite small in stature he is sure proud of his little physique. He has an attitude that is not good for a referee and seems to think we are all there to watch him do his thing. Howard was in his head all night. Can't believe the long conversations the two had throughout the game. Did they show this on tv? Juwan gets away with more than perhaps any other B1G coach as far as profanity but I kind of like the guy. He does his job and protects his players.

Much better (louder) crowd last night but I can only imagine what it would be like if the students filled their sections.
Yeah. We lost because of the refs. 🙄

This. The bench is a huge motivator.

You constantly regurgitate the same thing over and over, without ever accepting that Fran did try in the portal and the CJF f8**ed us over. If you could explain to everyone how his favoritism towards CMAC leads to him having the 9th most minutes during conference play on this team, I'd love to hear it. Perkins and Ulis have not shown they deserve any more playing time than Jabo during conference play, I really really wish they had, but they haven't. This is the problem. Our guards are a collection of 60%ers.
Lol
portal aside
It’s easy to complain the other guards aren’t good when they aren’t given a chance. Their playing time is constant reinforcement from fran that he doesn’t believe in them.
I understand that last statement might not make sense to some of you but when you sit and watch film of guys that don’t get pulled or sit you wonder.
jbo drove and fumbled the ball then turned it over, a move that gets joe the hook. 0 assists??
honest questions:
1. Would Iowa record be any/much different if jbo and cmac hadn’t returned?
2. Would we be more or less optimistic about next year if those minutes had been going to guys that would be here next year?

You lost me at you were willing to rewatch the game lol.....
agree about LS. He's a little weasel. About as bad as Paul Szelc...(He's an ignorant scoundrel and I disapprove of his very existence)

I was very frustrated by the lack of focus from the team last night, but I do not think Fran is OK with a lack of effort. Fran was doing a lot of substituting last night to try and find the right combination. Twelve players saw playing time with ten players getting more than 10 minutes. At some point, some of the players need to step up and make plays. That did not happen last night and it cost Iowa a winnable ballgame.

Our last 6 games include 2 at home and the rest on the road. I stated before that we need to protect home court by any means necessary. That game last night was strange with missed dunks, missed fts, and points off turnovers (they had 18 to our 9). When Sparty gets into town, and if we can fill the arena and get the win, and not lose to Nebby and NW, I'd be a happy camper.

I have to preface this with the fact that I am not an expert on basketball. I am just the average fan, and that is what these opinions are based on.

Prior to the Michigan game I felt like our matchup with them was not good. They had recently crushed Purdue (at Michigan) and then lost in a tough game with Ohio State and I felt like there might have been a bit of an emotional hangover there. I did not like our chances against Michigan.....felt like their size, defense, and good guard play were going to deliver a loss to the Hawks...and it might be a comfortable win for them.

Consequently, the outcome of this game shouldn't have been as disappointing as I feel like it is. The reason for that is the way we played....horrible stretch in the second half with dumb turnovers and more. During the course of the game our guys missed 3 dunks......missed 7 free throws (shooting 65% from the line), shot poorly from outside, etc etc. In watching that game we clearly could have and maybe should have won. Keegan having cramps....I don't recall that happening this year/season.

The flip side of my thinking about Michigan is that from a height perspective we matchup better with OSU and MSU.....physically they are stronger and will be a different type of challenge than Michigan, but I feel better about those two teams. Again, unfortunately, officiating will play a significant part in both games.

I don't often use the term "must win" for games until we are mathematically at that point. At this point in the season however, Nebraska and NW are must wins when looking at the remaining schedule. Those two would put us at a total of 19 wins.....I think ONE (1) more in the regular season and 1 in the BTT would then put us in the NCAA..not even trying to guess seeding.

IF the above stuff is close to an accurate guess, that means that at OSU, MSU home, at Michigan and at Illinois are where we have to get that other win....MSU at home obviously appears to be the best possibility BUT, this college basketball so ANYTHING is possible. We could lose all of the remaining games but that is unlikely. We could win all of these games but that is even more unlikely.

My wild ass guess is that we beat Neb & NW and get MSU at home....then sweat out the BTT results before we know what will happen next.
Great post. Just one thing to add if I may: The optimistic side of me hopes that our guys take the loss last night personally and beat Michigan in the second game. If it wasn’t for a couple of those missed dunks and lay ups, we’ll all be talking about our seeding on this site. Cheers!

I guess it’s just the nature of fans to want to make the tourney but given we have no quad 1 wins what expectations would we even have for the NCAA? It’s not likely Iowa would catch fire an knock off 2-3 quad 1 opponents all of the sudden, is it? Officiating might be a bit more accommodative I guess.

I’m at the point where I just want to hit reset on Hawkeye basketball. Frans not the answer but yet half of our fans think he is.
Yeah we should just give our bid to some mid major from the SWAC instead.

Good form, ole chap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksfor3
Having CJF leave the way he did was horrible but he wouldn't be playing for Iowa this year anyway with his injury. So that really is a non-factor. Bohannon might have moved on and if he did, would Iowa have been better or worse?

Iowa gets outrebounded (again) and the guard play was awful (again). The "New Lineup" is a joke. Perkins is a taller version of Joe T., who, like JT, cannot shoot. So you move a SG who cannot shake a defender or create to PG and insert a guy at SG (S= shooting FYI) who might lose to Connor in a 3-point shooting contest. Wow, I see why we pay Fran $3MM.

What excuses can you make for Fran for not being able to recruit better than mid-major guard talent in 12 years? How can he recruit 4 guys in Connor, Ulis, Perkins and Joe T. who are such awful shooters? A Jake Kelly-Christian Williams backcourt would look like Jordan-Pippen compared to what Fran has assembled.

You would be hard pressed to find a P5 team that didn't add 1-2 guards from the portal, but we are supposed to believe Fran tired really hard, but couldn't get one. That is bullshit IMO and if it is true, then what does that say about Fran? I know, Fran is loyal, wants to be sensitive to team chemistry and does not want to turn Iowa into a rogue program like Gonzaga that brings in transfers and does crazy stuff like play deep into the NCAA tourney. Nope, not the Iowa Way-- we lose with the guys we recruit.

Before the triggered mob shows up with their "Shut the **** up posts", did you catch what Lavin said during the Michigan game? "Iowa doesn't have a guard who can go downhill and score".

Perry--excellent post. We may disagree on things, but you always do a tremendous job of articulating your points. With that being said, you can commence with telling me to jump in a lake holding a sandbag. :)

No we didn't. The calls went both ways but allowing a lot of physical contact goes against Iowa. We just have to be better at adjusting.
Here’s what I get so tired of hearing. Why does every single time a game gets physical it’s bad for Iowa. Why can we not be the more physical team? It’s a tired cliche. I’m sorry. Playing physical is a state of mind.

Here’s what I get so tired of hearing. Why does every single time a game gets physical it’s bad for Iowa. Why can we not be the more physical team? It’s a tired cliche. I’m sorry. Playing physical is a state of mind.
It’s bad every time because Fran does not value physicality enough IMO. I agree playing physical is a state of mind, but it helps to have physical players. Too weak has been Fran’s Achilles heel for a dozen years. It’s the B1g, duh.

Reactions: DewHawk
It’s bad every time because Fran does not value physicality enough IMO. I agree playing physical is a state of mind, but it helps to have physical players. Too weak has been Fran’s Achilles heel for a dozen years. It’s the B1g, duh.
Every team is built for different strengths. Ours is scoring nearly 100 points per game. We score before you can blink and we do it game after game.

Reactions: perryhawk
Every team is built for different strengths. Ours is scoring nearly 100 points per game. We score before you can blink and we do it game after game.
This is true. What’s highly debatable is whether that is effective in the B1g.

Reactions: DewHawk
Michigan had the #3 recruiting class in the nation last year and #1 in the B1G. Iowa was #67 in the country and #11 in the B1G. This is not sustainable. We absolutely need someone on the staff that can talk to recruits and seal the deal.

Got to give you credit Perry.

You called it.

It was a better matchup but osu is really tough place to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT