ADVERTISEMENT

A few hours in QC

TC Nole OX

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
It looks like I will be flying up to Chicago and then driving to western IL to a small town about 45 miles SE of Quad Cities. I have to check on my 90 year old uncle and make sure he is ok. Since there is not much to do in that small town, I am going to drive over to QC. Where are the must stops? Pizza? Loose Meat Sandwiches? Should I just keep driving west into Iowa?

Head up to IC and watch a woman’s 11 children beat the Iowa Hawkeyes in a game of football. 🤮

The best pizza is going to be Casey’s. I would avoid the West Davenport locations. The best Casey’s are probably Park View, Eldridge, and Bettendorf. I really need to get out to Bluegrass and check their location out. Last weekend I had some from a Dubuque location and they killed it, so maybe the 70 mile trip is worth it.

By loose meat sandwiches I assume you mean Maid Rite, just go ahead and skip that one and go to Portillos.

45 miles SE of the Quad Cities makes me think you might be near Galesburg. Their dispensary never has much of a line so I would go there if you are near and load up before you start the Tour De Casey’s.

The best pizza is going to be Casey’s. I would avoid the West Davenport locations. The best Casey’s are probably Park View, Eldridge, and Bettendorf. I really need to get out to Bluegrass and check their location out. Last weekend I had some from a Dubuque location and they killed it, so maybe the 70 mile trip is worth it.

By loose meat sandwiches I assume you mean Maid Rite, just go ahead and skip that one and go to Portillos.

45 miles SE of the Quad Cities makes me think you might be near Galesburg. Their dispensary never has much of a line so I would go there if you are near and load up before you start the Tour De Casey’s.

Kewanee, there is a Casey's in town. That will be at least a couple meals.

Reactions: Moral
It looks like I will be flying up to Chicago and then driving to western IL to a small town about 45 miles SE of Quad Cities. I have to check on my 90 year old uncle and make sure he is ok. Since there is not much to do in that small town, I am going to drive over to QC. Where are the must stops? Pizza? Loose Meat Sandwiches? Should I just keep driving west into Iowa?
Must stops? Can’t think of one unless the channel cat is still running. Cruising across the Mississippi is something you can’t do unless you are on the Mississippi.

QC Maid Rites

Okay wait so don't do that. If I was in the QC for a few hours and food is a consideration, I would do Happy Joe's taco supreme pizza. If you're solo, that is a lot of food, so get a small, unless you have a refrigerator in your hotel. The other thing I would do is a Whitey's malt. I am partial to butterfinger or heath bar, and some people like them as shakes rather than malts. But those two items are what I would do. They are both in Bettendorf across the river. I would pass on the maid rites and casey's pizza.*

Edited to note that the canadian bacon and sauerkraut pizza is pretty good too. The two places are really close to on another. Here are links:

Wait do you legitimately think Casey's pizza is better than Happy Joe's? I know Casey's is a running joke and some if it is okay to goodish, but if handing out serious advice to someone visiting for a day, have to go with HJ's.

Reactions: Dorrman
Okay wait so don't do that. If I was in the QC for a few hours and food is a consideration, I would do Happy Joe's taco supreme pizza. If you're solo, that is a lot of food, so get a small, unless you have a refrigerator in your hotel. The other thing I would do is a Whitey's malt. I am partial to butterfinger or heath bar, and some people like them as shakes rather than malts. But those two items are what I would do. They are both in Bettendorf across the river. I would pass on the maid rites and casey's pizza.*

Edited to note that the canadian bacon and sauerkraut pizza is pretty good too. The two places are really close to on another. Here are links:

The taco pizza and the malts at the second place sound like a winning combo. Thanks.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Wait do you legitimately think Casey's pizza is better than Happy Joe's? I know Casey's is a running joke and some if it is okay to goodish, but if handing out serious advice to someone visiting for a day, have to go with HJ's.

In a cost to flavor ratio Caseys absolutely beats the pants off of Happy Joes. However, if we were just going head to head on flair, Casey's still wins.

In a cost to flavor ratio Caseys absolutely beats the pants off of Happy Joes. However, if we were just going head to head on flair, Casey's still wins.
Casey's might win in a cost to flavor ratio comparison, but it doesn't actually taste better. Like DQ doesn't taste better than Whitey's. HJ's is expensive for a pizza, no doubt, but worth if it in town for just a bit.

Casey's might win in a cost to flavor ratio comparison, but it doesn't actually taste better. Like DQ doesn't taste better than Whitey's. HJ's is expensive for a pizza, no doubt, but worth if it in town for just a bit.

Which location would you recommend for an outside? The Jungle Bungle store?

The Moline store has a cool old time feel, and the Whiteys is right down the road. There is even a Maid Rite there and a Rudys down the street. I just realized that is the most QC of all streets in the QC.

If you're driving on I80, there's a Cajun place about half way between CHicago and QC in Utica that is fantastic

Looks good...they have key lime pie

Reactions: Bro D
Which location would you recommend for an outside? The Jungle Bungle store?

The Moline store has a cool old time feel, and the Whiteys is right down the road. There is even a Maid Rite there and a Rudys down the street. I just realized that is the most QC of all streets in the QC.
I would go to the Bettendorf location I linked as it is a few blocks away from Whitey's. Never been to any other location in the quads so I cannot comment on them. For OP, this is how close they are:

Best QC style if you want to try it is Uncle Bills in Davenport, but it's carryout/delivery only. Frank's in Silvis will allow you to have a true sit-down QC Pizza experience, if that's what you're into.

I would check out some of the area breweries if you have time --- Stompbox, Adventurous and Wake are all pretty cool venues with good beers.

Happy to share other food/entertainment options if you give me a general idea of things you like and how much time you have.

Have fun!

Are you a golfer? TPC Deere Run and Fyre Lake are great courses, both SE of the Quad Cities.

I found some good food info here

It would be pretty awesome if a Viking River cruise boat was docked there during your visit.
If you don't see the Viking, there is a very good chance you will see some other cruise ship. Here is the fall schedule:

Whoa, wait a minute here. Game changing information. I'll check this out when I'm on the way next month.
Its a very unique place with some interesting characters. You won't be disappointed. I do remember they hold some odd hours so you may wanna check that out before you go

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
The taco pizza and the malts at the second place sound like a winning combo. Thanks.
It's an excellent recommendation. Don't pass up trying Canadian Bacon and Sauerkraut while you are at Happy Joes. It really is spectacular. If the QC River Bandits are in town they play in a really cool stadium (Modern Woodmen Park) right on the river if you are into baseball.

Reactions: Tenacious E
If the QC River Bandits are in town they play in a really cool stadium (Modern Woodmen Park) right on the river if you are into baseball.
Just finished their last series of the year unfortunately

Looks like the Viking boat is here now.

Pretty cool photo from inside the new downtown YMCA:

306984196_10222640247735834_2061323488634243483_n.jpg

Looks like the Viking boat is here now.

Pretty cool photo from inside the new downtown YMCA:

306984196_10222640247735834_2061323488634243483_n.jpg
How often will it be here? It was just docked there last week. Are you sure this is a picture from today?

I guess I'll see for myself as I'll drive right by there in about an hour.

How often will it be here? It was just docked there last week. Are you sure this is a picture from today?

I guess I'll see for myself as I'll drive right by there in about an hour.
The pace is high this time of year, a lot of back-and-forths between St. Paul and St. Louis. I think it's pretty normal for that to mean a Davenport docking about once per week.

Reactions: HawCory
ADVERTISEMENT