ADVERTISEMENT

A few important stats so far....

Bryzzo

Team MVP
Aug 31, 2016
The most important stat being 3-0 of course, but here are a couple of other important stats through the non-conference season:

Iowa's 3rd Down Conversion %:
22 of 46 - 48%
I would be pleased with anything above 40%, so this stat is pleasantly surprising so far.

Iowa's 4th Down Conversion %:
6 of 7 - 86%
I'm very pleased with both the aggressiveness in the # of attempts and the conversion % so far.

Iowa's Opponent's 3rd Down Conversion %:
9 of 38 - 24%
I'm as frustrated as most fans with the lack of any kind of pass rush, but you have to be pleased with this percentage through 3 games.

Turnover Margin:
thru 3 games
Iowa has lost 5 fumbles and thrown one interception, while recovering 1 fumble with 4 picks
Always want to be positive in this key stat, but the lack of any consistent pass rush has not put enough pressure on opposing QB's to make enough bad decisions. Josh Jackson has made the most of his opportunities and has 2 nice picks already.

Time of Possession:

Iowa ranks 6th nationally in terms of total time of possession.

Slightly OT to this thread but the 4th down conversion % made me think of it.

Which game was it this year where we had a 4th and <5 where we went in like we were going for it and Stanley tried to bait the offsides with a hard count? I called it the second they walked up to the line and it was pretty obvious that we were never going to snap that ball. Need to get Stanley some acting lessons for next time.

Which game was it this year where we had a 4th and <5 where we went in like we were going for it and Stanley tried to bait the offsides with a hard count? I called it the second they walked up to the line and it was pretty obvious that we were never going to snap that ball. Need to get Stanley some acting lessons for next time.
And I could be wrong but I think the one time we didn't convert was almost a connection down the sidelines to fant last week....? Where if he laid out he may have had it...fingertips maybe? Maybe it was 3rd but I thought it was 4th.

ISU. It was like 4th and inches at the Iowa 48 or so.

It was fairly clear after the TEs went in motion for a second time. All doubt was removed for sure.

And I could be wrong but I think the one time we didn't convert was almost a connection down the sidelines to fant last week....? Where if he laid out he may have had it...fingertips maybe? Maybe it was 3rd but I thought it was 4th.

Pretty sure you are correct. It was the series Wadley was serving his punishment for being the Hi Steppa.

Like 4th and 4 and Iowa runs a fade route. To be fair it was there, just not a high probability of converting when you only need four yds.

It was fairly clear after the TEs went in motion for a second time. All doubt was removed for sure.

Yeah that sounds right. After the second motion would actually be a decent time to snap the ball. At that point everyone just thinks you're willing to take the 5 yard penalty and punt.

Reactions: Pepperman

That was 4th down.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
The most important stat being 3-0 of course, but here are a couple of other important stats through the non-conference season:

Iowa's 3rd Down Conversion %:
22 of 46 - 48%
I would be pleased with anything above 40%, so this stat is pleasantly surprising so far.

Iowa's 4th Down Conversion %:
6 of 7 - 86%
I'm very pleased with both the aggressiveness in the # of attempts and the conversion % so far.

Iowa's Opponent's 3rd Down Conversion %:
9 of 38 - 24%
I'm as frustrated as most fans with the lack of any kind of pass rush, but you have to be pleased with this percentage through 3 games.

Turnover Margin:
thru 3 games
Iowa has lost 5 fumbles and thrown one interception, while recovering 1 fumble with 4 picks
Always want to be positive in this key stat, but the lack of any consistent pass rush has not put enough pressure on opposing QB's to make enough bad decisions. Josh Jackson has made the most of his opportunities and has 2 nice picks already.

Time of Possession:

Iowa ranks 6th nationally in terms of total time of possession.
As to the turnovers, they were almost ALL in the first half of game one. Pretty solid since then.

If you look at most successful Iowa teams in recent years, they always have solid 3rd down conversion numbers on either or both sides of the ball, particularly on defense.

It's still very early, but this year's team is on the right track.

Reactions: McLovin32
Interesting useless stat=Hawkeye Defensive lineman had more Int's than Hawkeye DB's until Jackson's late Int against North Texas. Now they are tied at 2.

I've always wondered why after a second motion they don't go on one? Many times defenses literally go to a knee because they know it won't be snapped.. THAT would catch them off guard!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT