ADVERTISEMENT

A few more “Way too early Top 25 for 2019”

“Kirk Ferentz remains perhaps the highest-paid .600 coach in history” -CBS Sports

I was done with the articles at that point. I am reminded quicker each year how much I hate college football coverage. You gave his team the #20 ranking and that’s what you decided to talk about? It’s weird....

Last edited:
“Kirk Ferentz remains perhaps the highest-paid .600 coach in history” -CBS Sports

I was done with the articles at that point. I am reminded quicker each year how much I hate college football coverage. You gave his team the #20 ranking and that’s what you decided to talk about? It’s weird....

I have complained about KF's salary more than once, but that was several seasons ago. By now it's a cliche that says more about the writer than about KF. And to your broader point, yes, the writer might have said something like this: "The dean of Big Ten coaches just had two tight ends drafted in the first round. One had a year of eligibility left at Iowa, and the other had two years left. Under Ferentz, Iowa is clearly Tight End U."

Which is the 7th highest paid in the big 10 and 4th in the big 10 west. You have lovie smith making $5 million a year and done nothing in 3 years. Frost making same and goes 4-8 in year 1. He’s done some good things in 2 years but Brohm is still at .500 for his record in 2 years at Purdue and is now making more with his new off season deal. Maybe the length of the extension could be criticized but the overall salary is just a lazy dig anymore when we’ve seen salaries sky rocket the last few years where KF’s salary is now honestly not that bad considering what some other coaches are making.

I have complained about KF's salary more than once, but that was several seasons ago. By now it's a cliche that says more about the writer than about KF. And to your broader point, yes, the writer might have said something like this: "The dean of Big Ten coaches just had two tight ends drafted in the first round. One had a year of eligibility left at Iowa, and the other had two years left. Under Ferentz, Iowa is clearly Tight End U."
OP posted rankings from January...draft hadn't even taken place yet.

1. Georgia
2. Clemson
3. Alabama
4. Florida
5. LSU
6. Notre Dame
7. OK
8. MI
9. Utah
10. Oregon
11. Texas
12. Ohio St
13. A and M Texas
14. Washington
15. Army
16. Iowa
17. Auburn
18 UCF
19. ISU
20. Penn St.
21. WI
22. Virg Tech
23. NW
24. Missouri
25. NE
Dark Horse: Mi State
source: Recruiter's Forum

Someone’s still salty about TC being invited to the combine. It’s ok, Ladouchebag, we are all wrong from time to time. Man up and say you were wrong.
He wasn't invited at the time that thread was started.

Bottom line, TheDickTheWholeDick, he won't sniff a court in an NBA game...ever.

It speaks more about writer not taking the time to research the teams for which the article is about. It's easy to use recycled news vs coming up with new information. The writer probably wanted to do some deep investigative work into additional bagels being served on recruiting trips but the boss gave them this assignment instead.

It speaks more about writer not taking the time to research the teams for which the article is about. It's easy to use recycled news vs coming up with new information. The writer probably wanted to do some deep investigative work into additional bagels being served on recruiting trips but the boss gave them this assignment instead.
The off-season is tough for writers. They have to generate clicks. They have to "sell newspapers". People have a hard to seeing it for what it is. It's probably not worth taking offense to sloppy writing. Maybe a better strategy for ALL OF US collectively is to identify and reward the writers who put the legwork and discipline into writing good, interesting stories in the off-season.

The same thing with Nebraska being picked higher than they should on these shallow polls - the fans will eat it up. College football writers who can't find a way to weave some type of Nebraska narrative are leaving money and clicks on the table. It's how it is. Its not the program's fault that its brand is still strong nationally. Nebraska has a powerful, national fan base and brand when it comes to selling newspapers, so they get catered to. Writers have to cater to the folks who generate clicks and pay the bills.

Last edited:
The off-season is tough for writers. They have to generate clicks. They have to "sell newspapers". People have a hard to seeing it for what it is. It's probably not worth taking offense to sloppy writing. Maybe a better strategy for ALL OF US collectively is to identify and reward the writers who put the legwork and discipline into writing good, interesting stories in the off-season.

The same thing with Nebraska being picked higher than they should on these shallow polls - the fans will eat it up. College football writers who can't find a way to weave some type of Nebraska narrative are leaving money and clicks on the table. It's how it is. Its not the program's fault that its brand is still strong nationally. Nebraska has a powerful, national fan base and brand when it comes to selling newspapers, so they get catered to. Writers have to cater to the folks who pay generate clicks and pay the bills.

It's called negative reinforcement. Put crap out get crap feedback. Put quality work out they'll get their pat on the back. There are times my job isnt great but it doesnt mean I slack. I have pride and put the best effort as possible. Believe me it takes no more effort to talk about the two first rounders or having a returning senior QB then it does to talk about Ferentz salary. Last time I checked Ferentz salary wasn't walking into the huddle for this coming up team so why should it have any bearing on the top 25 rankings. This was plain lazy writing, he was better off listing the team and ranking and not adding any content for the team.

Agree. Why the hell does it matter what he makes? .600 is either good enough or not good enough, irrespective of what the coach makes. And there is the fact that he has been here 21 years and accrued raises along the way like anyone in his position would have.

Reactions: BringIt2017
It's called negative reinforcement. Put crap out get crap feedback. Put quality work out they'll get their pat on the back. There are times my job isnt great but it doesnt mean I slack. I have pride and put the best effort as possible. Believe me it takes no more effort to talk about the two first rounders or having a returning senior QB then it does to talk about Ferentz salary. Last time I checked Ferentz salary wasn't walking into the huddle for this coming up team so why should it have any bearing on the top 25 rankings. This was plain lazy writing, he was better off listing the team and ranking and not adding any content for the team.
Have you taken the time to provide this feedback to the writer, or do you just join the masses on the message board and whine about it? Honest question. If it's not the former, then you're simply choosing to be salty with zero chance at changing it.

I said what I said because its the truth. This is why they write what they write at this time of the year. You can be mad and salty about it, but it doesn't change anything. At least understanding why this is how it is and might make it seem silly to get worked up over. Nobody should take a "way too early preseason ranking" serious. Hell, no one should take a preaseason ranking done in August all the seriously. None of it matters. People want to throw their arms up over something that doesn't matter? Enjoy wasting your mental energy.

Most of the 'to early' preseason polls I've seen posted on here are posted by nebra fans. That's why most here get a hard-on.

More nebra fans care about these early polls then Hawk fans do..

Who really cares what some dumbass sportswriter who never played FB at the college level ranks nebra?

I dont...

Prove the ranking on the field. nebra hasn't in a looooooong time...

Last edited:
Most of the 'to early' preseason polls I've seen posted on here are posted by nebra fans. That's why most here get a hard-on.

More nebra fans care about these early polls then Hawk fans do..

Who really cares what some dumbass sportswriter who never played FB at the college level ranks nebra?

I dont...

Prove the ranking on the field. nebra hasn't in a looooooong time...
OP posted 4 links to preseason polls, and you come with "most of these polls are posted by Nebraska fans." I don't pay attention to who the OP is on most threads, it just seems weird that you would say that here.

OP posted 4 links to preseason polls, and you come with "most of these polls are posted by Nebraska fans." I don't pay attention to who the OP is on most threads, it just seems weird that you would say that here.
I knew someone would bring that point up, but sorry I dont have a good comeback..

I noticed, and if you want to take the time, go research this board and you'll see nebra fans are so giddy with some of these early polls they couldn't resist on bringing that shit here...

Absolutely, they looked pretty good on offense at the end of the year. I like that offense a lot, but I think it hurts the D.
Whats funny is coming out of spring practice. Many of the coaches were saying the D was the best unit. The D has the most returning starters and most experience. The offense lost 3 starters on the line, starting RB, and starting/ top producing WR. Now while on paper that might look bad. None of these guys were drafted. We have a TON of young talent and the RB and WR position. So I have a feeling we will be able to replace pretty easily.

My biggest concern on offense is going to be the line, particularly the center position. We have some guys for the future, but as of right now it is iffy. If we can get a few of the young guys to step up and produce ( lots of hype around a few fresh and Juco guys coming) this offense could be very scary for opposing Ds.

The D looks to have taken a big jump this off season. Can the offense take one as well is the biggest question. The team as a whole has taken huge strides in S&C gains, which was of the biggest issues last year. Especially against teams like Iowa and Wisc. We were just to small and got shoved around. Not sure if that much difference can be made up, but by all reports great progress was made.

My opinion is our S&C is still going to be lacking a bit. Those areas take 3-4 years to really get rolling. I think the offense could struggle a bit the first few games until the new guys get into the swing of things, but will really take off down the stretch. Frost and defense have never been the strong area on his teams. I don't see that happening here either. I do think the D will be greatly improved from last year. Chinanders D relies heavily on take aways, To give his offense more opportunity to put up points.

Historically year 2 in any system is the biggest improvement. What Frost did year 2 at UCF is what have some thinking big. The AAC is a way different than BIG10. So I don't see that big of jump year 2 at Neb, but there will be drastic improvement for sure. Any opposing fan base, is going to be badly disappointed if they think their team is going to be facing the same 4-8 team they faced last year.

As a husker fan they are fun to look at but until we start finishing seasons in the top 25 I don’t put any stock into them. I am excited for the season but have no idea. I think Nebraska is improving but so is about everyone else.

Did hear that the huskers won their Spring game.......

The same thing with Nebraska being picked higher than they should on these shallow polls - the fans will eat it up. College football writers who can't find a way to weave some type of Nebraska narrative are leaving money and clicks on the table. It's how it is. Its not the program's fault that its brand is still strong nationally. Nebraska has a powerful, national fan base and brand when it comes to selling newspapers, so they get catered to. Writers have to cater to the folks who generate clicks and pay the bills.

This guy gets it.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT