ADVERTISEMENT

A few RIDICULOUS stats

AZHawkeye7

Rookie
Nov 6, 2019
Amidst what may amount to the greatest malpractice in football history (Barta’s allowing of KF belligerent & unjustifiable nepotism), enjoy the following stats:

1) On Saturday Petras had a QBR of 1.1, the lowest ever recorded for a winning QB

2) Since 2020, looking at wins from teams that have punted 8+ times, eight teams are tied for second with 2 wins. Iowa has 6.

3) Since 2000, FBS teams that average less than 2.8 yards per play and score 0 touchdowns in a game are 3-371 (0.8% win percentage). Iowa owns 2 of the 3 wins (2-1 record).

Our offense, as well as the Ferentz boys, are nothing short of a national embarrassment and laughingstock. Unspeakably and unimaginably horrendous. Phil Parker is the only thing holding the program together.

Amidst what may amount to the greatest malpractice in football history (Barta’s allowing of KF belligerent & unjustifiable nepotism), enjoy the following stats:

1) On Saturday Petras had a QBR of 1.1, the lowest ever recorded for a winning QB

2) Since 2020, looking at wins from teams that have punted 8+ times, eight teams are tied for second with 2 wins. Iowa has 6.

3) Since 2000, FBS teams that average less than 2.8 yards per play and score 0 touchdowns in a game are 3-371 (0.8% win percentage). Iowa owns 2 of the 3 wins (2-1 record).

Our offense, as well as the Ferentz boys, are nothing short of a national embarrassment and laughingstock. Unspeakably and unimaginably horrendous. Phil Parker is the only thing holding the program together.
Or you could say that our 1-0 offense continues to break records no one thought possible.......... :cool:

But remember it's the booing and what's said anonymously on a message board that kills recruiting.

All of these stats will be prominently mentioned and boldfaced when Phil Parker is announced as the national Defensive Coordinator of the Year.

During the award ceremony, these stats will be repeated and the crowd assembled will react with a mixture of head shaking disbelief and grinning murmurs. Dan Patrick and other prominent sports broadcasters and columnists will devote entire segments lampooning Iowa's offense. "Horse and buggy", "rotary dial telephones", and oher outdated concepts and technologies will be used to describe Iowa's offense. A whole new genre of comedy will emerge along the lines of "What's worse: Iowa's offense or ______[fill in the blank "bleeding hemorroids", for example]________". Much later, all the national laughter generated by Iowa's offense will be credited with partially mollifying an otherwise stressful period of time for Americans and Brian Ferentz will be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House.

Last edited:
Probably.

That's why we can't recruit elite WR talent or QBs that couldn't outrun a cardboard cut out of themselves........
Really and truly, every last piece of our offense has ranged from underwhelming (TE) to flat-out embarrassing (literally every other position). I really feel for LaPorta and Lachey because they are probably the only players on offense that are worth a look come draft day, and as good as they are they can't lift the offense out of their doldrums by themselves. They need someone to step up, and soon.

At the end of the day, the buck stops with KF. I like to make fun of him for being a stodgy old dinosaur, but I'm also 99.9% positive he's as aware of the situation as anyone else. It doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to be able to actually *fix* the situation (at least in the short term), but he's also privy to a lot of things that we the fans aren't (i.e. how things shake down during practice). Surely he knows there's a difference between how players perform during practice (I'm sure Spencer is a Practice Heisman Award candidate) and how they perform when it counts (SP's WAR rating is probably well below zero, to use a baseball reference). Maybe Padilla or Labas don't look as good in practice because they're bored (the offensive scheme, playing against the same guys over and over again, or just want a challenge) and want to start playing with live rounds.

Brian gets ripped (and fairly I may add) because he's the son of the CEO of this whole operation. It'd be a different story if we were able to do something right on offense - ANYTHING right. If we could at least run the ball with consistency, or have a semblance of a passing game we'd probably have a different opinion of him. While it's up to the offensive coaches to find ways of designing and calling plays based on their personnel's strengths, it's also up to the players to execute. And honestly, right now they just aren't going to do much of anything regardless if BF implements an air raid, pro, or spread offense. There's very little chemistry, leadership, and accountability from the players up all the way up to KF. This is a wooden ship held together with little more than pine tar and luck, and things are going to get real ugly once we start hitting the choppier waters.

The season is still young and Iowa can still have a solid season, but maybe a clunker of a season (i.e. going 5-7 or 6-6) could force KF to swallow his pride. It's no secret he's not a big fan of NIL or the portal, but if he's going to maintain any sense of relevance in today's game he's got to accept that he needs to utilize them (not the same thing as liking them) if Iowa is going to remain a consistent challenger for the B1G West. He's earned the right to depart Iowa City on his terms (barring a total disaster of a season or a scandal), but I also don't want him staying a season or two too long and leaving too little for his successor to work with, like what happened at the end of JHF's tenure.

4b29a5ad6929e348b71a6ff56702d4901042e1d8be40c4d87ab40f54a607e1d2.jpg

Really and truly, every last piece of our offense has ranged from underwhelming (TE) to flat-out embarrassing (literally every other position). I really feel for LaPorta and Lachey because they are probably the only players on offense that are worth a look come draft day, and as good as they are they can't lift the offense out of their doldrums by themselves. They need someone to step up, and soon.

At the end of the day, the buck stops with KF. I like to make fun of him for being a stodgy old dinosaur, but I'm also 99.9% positive he's as aware of the situation as anyone else. It doesn't necessarily mean that he's going to be able to actually *fix* the situation (at least in the short term), but he's also privy to a lot of things that we the fans aren't (i.e. how things shake down during practice). Surely he knows there's a difference between how players perform during practice (I'm sure Spencer is a Practice Heisman Award candidate) and how they perform when it counts (SP's WAR rating is probably well below zero, to use a baseball reference). Maybe Padilla or Labas don't look as good in practice because they're bored (the offensive scheme, playing against the same guys over and over again, or just want a challenge) and want to start playing with live rounds.

Brian gets ripped (and fairly I may add) because he's the son of the CEO of this whole operation. It'd be a different story if we were able to do something right on offense - ANYTHING right. If we could at least run the ball with consistency, or have a semblance of a passing game we'd probably have a different opinion of him. While it's up to the offensive coaches to find ways of designing and calling plays based on their personnel's strengths, it's also up to the players to execute. And honestly, right now they just aren't going to do much of anything regardless if BF implements an air raid, pro, or spread offense. There's very little chemistry, leadership, and accountability from the players up all the way up to KF. This is a wooden ship held together with little more than pine tar and luck, and things are going to get real ugly once we start hitting the choppier waters.

The season is still young and Iowa can still have a solid season, but maybe a clunker of a season (i.e. going 5-7 or 6-6) could force KF to swallow his pride. It's no secret he's not a big fan of NIL or the portal, but if he's going to maintain any sense of relevance in today's game he's got to accept that he needs to utilize them (not the same thing as liking them) if Iowa is going to remain a consistent challenger for the B1G West. He's earned the right to depart Iowa City on his terms (barring a total disaster of a season or a scandal), but I also don't want him staying a season or two too long and leaving too little for his successor to work with, like what happened at the end of JHF's tenure.
Really, TE, WR and RB has a lot of talent - I legitimately feel for guys like LaPorta and Bruce. They try so hard to hide their frustration, but its boiling over in the body language. Any completion now is a surprise, let alone an on-time, in stride ball.

Really, TE, WR and RB has a lot of talent - I legitimately feel for guys like LaPorta and Bruce. They try so hard to hide their frustration, but its boiling over in the body language. Any completion now is a surprise, let alone an on-time, in stride ball.
Talent is one thing, but keeping that talent healthy is another thing entirely. We were very, very thin last Saturday and it's probably not going to be much better this coming Saturday.

It is impressive..... and a testament to remarkable Iowa defenses. The only good I can see in the continuing futility of Iowa's offense is -hopefully- the long overdue national recognition due Phil Parker (seriously!) as the elite defensive mastermind responsible for the unlikely wins Iowa has managed in the face of very long odds. Without Parker, the Iowa football program reverts to Bob Commings era resignation and despair.

I heard somewhere that if Petras would have just thrown every ball into the dirt, he would have had a 3.6 QBR. That's one way he could improve :rolleyes:

I heard somewhere that if Petras would have just thrown every ball into the dirt, he would have had a 3.6 QBR. That's one way he could improve :rolleyes:

It's very unclear how QBR is calculated - I think it somehow is supposed to take into account the strength of opponent, game situation, etc. Regardless, I found a box score from last year in which Keenan Allen was 0/1 passing and had zero rushing yards. His QBR was 1.2. https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326537

So it does appear that had Spencer spiked the ball on every drop back, he would have had a better QBR.

Reactions: Ree4
It's very unclear how QBR is calculated - I think it somehow is supposed to take into account the strength of opponent, game situation, etc. Regardless, I found a box score from last year in which Keenan Allen was 0/1 passing and had zero rushing yards. His QBR was 1.2. https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401326537

So it does appear that had Spencer spiked the ball on every drop back, he would have had a better QBR.
Yeah it would definitely remove the interception which should have a larger negative impact on QBR than an incomplete pass would.

So the question is, can you have a negative QBR?
To my knowledge, zero is the lowest QBR one can achieve.

I would imagine that a sports statistician can calculate a similar formula for MLB's WAR (Wins Above Replacement), where SP's WAR would almost certainly be negative (which is possible for a WAR score).

I also don't want him staying a season or two too long and leaving too little for his successor to work with, like what happened at the end of JHF's tenure.
You're not wrong, but I would provide some context by pointing out that, as we only learned later, Hayden Fry was battling cancer at the end of his 20-year run. KF?

I found this on Wiki Under “Passer Rating”. I don’t think a negative value would be possible. Zero would be interesting enough.

Total Quarterback Rating (QBR)​

Main article: Total quarterback rating
ESPN's Total Quarterback Rating is a proprietary statistic that was introduced in 2011 and is designed to measure the total effectiveness and performance of a quarterback. The metric takes into account all of a quarterback's contribution to a game, including passing, rushing, sacks, penalties, touchdowns, and turnovers.[12] Moreover, each play is weighted based on its "difficulty", the context of the game, and the strength of the opposing defense. This means that statistics in garbage time of a blowout game hold less merit than statistics in a close game. Also, a quarterback who throws for four touchdowns and 300 yards against a strong defense will have a higher QBR than a quarterback who has the same stat line against the worst defense in the NFL.[12]

QBR functions on a 0–100 scale, where an average NFL quarterback typically has around a 50 QBR, while a Pro Bowlcaliber quarterback will have approximately a 75. This scale also represents a percentile of overall quarterback performances since 2006. Meaning that if a quarterback has a QBR of 90, then their performance in that game is, on average, better than 90% of other quarterback performances.[13]

It is also very common for there to be significant differences between QBR and passer rating leaders due to the additional variables and situational play context that contribute to the calculation of QBR. For example, in 2019 Lamar Jackson had a league leading QBR of 83.0 and earned MVP honors. However, Jackson finished 3rd in passer rating (113.3) behind Ryan Tannehill (117.5) and Drew Brees (116.3) who finished 9th and 3rd for QBR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT