ADVERTISEMENT

A few tidbits from Fran.

Suterman

HR Legend
Nov 13, 2003
We interviewed Fran this morning and got a little bit of info, nothing earth shattering.

1) Fran said we will get a point guard if he moves the needle forward. He said "We're talking about the same guy". If we can get a game changer at point guard we will do so, we won't just take a point guard to be taking a point guard.
2) He feels Connor will be a big help to the team. He is a "pass first" point guard and will set everybody else up. The players will all enjoy playing with Connor.
3) The team has been doing defensive drills all Spring and working out in the weight room getting stronger. The players need to buy in completely on the defensive end. He is seeing progress but will see when the games are actually played.
4) Tyler Cook has had 2 workouts with NBA teams so far. Bottom line, he will come back to Iowa and work at being a 1st rounder next year if he isn't going to be drafted. Fran thinks he can do that. Obviously if he is drafted, he is gone. In other words, we'll see what the NBA tells Tyler. Still wait and see.

That's pretty much what I can remember. Will add if I think of other things.

4) Tyler Cook has had 2 workouts with NBA teams so far. Bottom line, he will come back to Iowa and work at being a 1st rounder next year if he isn't going to be drafted. Fran thinks he can do that. Obviously if he is drafted, he is gone. In other words, we'll see what the NBA tells Tyler. Still wait and see.

Great information here but this part is truly unique from what I've seen. Thank you for sharing.

It's no secret that Tyler wants to play in the NBA. If any of the 6 teams he works out for want him, he won't be back at Iowa.

Reactions: Franisdaman
One thing I wonder about - how is Cook's academic standing right now? It seems that there have been so many distractions that I wonder if he's been able to attend all of his classes and keep the grades. Obviously, he's not being drafted this year, so this could matter... what a kick in the nuts that would be.

We interviewed Fran this morning and got a little bit of info, nothing earth shattering.

1) Fran said we will get a point guard if he moves the needle forward. He said "We're talking about the same guy". If we can get a game changer at point guard we will do so, we won't just take a point guard to be taking a point guard.
Does this mean it's Carton, Terry or (at this moment) nobody? I understand the we won't just take a point guard to be taking a point guard philosophy but is he wanting to leave a scholarship open? ( Or sign yet another forward???)

Does this mean it's Carton, Terry or (at this moment) nobody? I understand the we won't just take a point guard to be taking a point guard philosophy but is he wanting to leave a scholarship open? ( Or sign yet another forward???)
He doesn't want to sign anybody that doesn't move the needle forward regardless of position.

One thing I wonder about - how is Cook's academic standing right now? It seems that there have been so many distractions that I wonder if he's been able to attend all of his classes and keep the grades. Obviously, he's not being drafted this year, so this could matter... what a kick in the nuts that would be.
Fran said he was very proud of Tyler and how well he took care of his academic obligations.

2) He feels Connor will be a big help to the team. He is a "pass first" point guard and will set everybody else up. The players will all enjoy playing with Connor.
3) The team has been doing defensive drills all Spring and working out in the weight room getting stronger. The players need to buy in completely on the defensive end. He is seeing progress but will see when the games are actually played.

Awesome update....thank you very much for posting!

Fran said he was very proud of Tyler and how well he took care of his academic obligations.

That's excellent to hear.

I've been pretty vocal about not liking what Cook and Moss were doing, but I want to make it abundantly clear that I really like Cook (and Moss) and want him to be back in a Hawkeye uniform. I really think he can do some great things and I hope he develops into even more of a leader this coming season. If he gets a little more controlled with the ball, develops a bit of an outside shot, and (most importantly) plays better defense, I think he becomes 1st team all B1G. A player that is 1st team all B1G just might have a shot in the NBA. I really hope he is willing to put in the work it's going to take to achieve this.

That's excellent to hear.

I've been pretty vocal about not liking what Cook and Moss were doing, but I want to make it abundantly clear that I really like Cook (and Moss) and want him to be back in a Hawkeye uniform. I really think he can do some great things and I hope he develops into even more of a leader this coming season. If he gets a little more controlled with the ball, develops a bit of an outside shot, and (most importantly) plays better defense, I think he becomes 1st team all B1G. A player that is 1st team all B1G just might have a shot in the NBA. I really hope he is willing to put in the work it's going to take to achieve this.

I think it's mostly Moss's dad that wanted him to test the waters. Fran does think Tyler could develop into a 1st rounder if he comes back and puts in the work.

I don't know for sure. He did mention that if he gets the right guys, he would consider having Patrick walk on for a year like Connor did.

Its a joke to put all your eggs in the Carton, Terry basket. We were told 2019 is where we will bank a scholarship.... But we are going to give it to another 6-7 to 6-9 guy if we miss out on a game changer PG..... which we seem to always do. Sorry but that is a very dumb thing to do. What if Connor gets hurt or can not score? who else is there?

Its a joke to put all your eggs in the Carton, Terry basket. We were told 2019 is where we will bank a scholarship.... But we are going to give it to another 6-7 to 6-9 guy if we miss out on a game changer PG..... which we seem to always do. Sorry but that is a very dumb thing to do. What if Connor gets hurt or can not score? who else is there?

They are still evaluating. There are more game changer PG's out there than we know about now.

They are still evaluating. There are more game changer PG's out there than we know about now.

I really hope so, but I was rocky about Fran after last year, but I am really starting to doubt him if he misses on these 2 guys. And he probably will just going off of his history. I have faith it can improve, but if Cook leaves who else do we have that can just take over a game? Garza can but he is not the best defender out there either. I am bummed about the program right now and we need Carton or Terry badly IMO.

I thought a carton was exactly where you were supposed to put your eggs?

Great stuff! Thanks Suter! I hope Fran can reel in both Carton AND Terry. That would be awesome. I am not concerned about 2 PGs in the same class. It worked well for us before, and these 2 are considered much more highly ranked than the last two...

If Fran only gets one, that is great as well. If he gets someone else that fits the bill, I am more than all good with that!

Glad to hear that they are really focusing on defense. At the very least we should be drastically improved. If we can raise the bar to where we were 2 years ago, that would be fantastic.

I get the impression that the staff is actively looking at other options. We the fans are a little un-Calm, but let's wait to see what other PGs Fran offers.

Per thread Perry started, there are a couple of other PGs, whose tapes look good, being evaluated by the coaches. Would sure be great to get a fairly early Carton commit, which could only help recruiting for other top recruits. I do think that Connor will help, even if he only plays 10-15 min/game.

I hope Cook does make the NBA, but unless they are going to teach him to shoot, teach him to play defense, teach him to dribble without turning it over and change his attitude about rebounding, he will be back.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I hope Cook does make the NBA, but unless they are going to teach him to shoot, teach him to play defense, teach him to dribble without turning it over and change his attitude about rebounding, he will be back.

Cook has a very nice looking stroke. He will continue to improve as a shooter, whether that is in the G League or at Iowa.

Comment 3 about defense has me concerned. I really don't like Fran's attitude. Many years our defense has been poor since Fran got here. It's not just these players. Now he's saying the players need to buy into it. It sounds like the players don't agree with how the defense is being taught. And Fran is saying, if we suck at defense, it's because the players didn't buy in. As a coach I would rather hear him talk about how the coaches and players are working together to redefine the defense and make sure everyone is on the same page. Fran just seems to be putting everything on the players.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Cook can make it to the NBA if he can either shoot, defend or rebound really well...just one will eventually get him there, but unless he can do all three....he's not a 1st round guy.

For a guy his size though, being an above average defender/rebounder is his ticker IMO.

I wouldn't bet against him being motivated and much improved when in his Jr season at Iowa.

ISU's Prohm has preached the same thing about "buying in" on defense. I am not privy to either teams practices, so I can't comment on how much they stress defense there.

Comment 3 about defense has me concerned. I really don't like Fran's attitude. Many years our defense has been poor since Fran got here. It's not just these players. Now he's saying the players need to buy into it. It sounds like the players don't agree with how the defense is being taught. And Fran is saying, if we suck at defense, it's because the players didn't buy in. As a coach I would rather hear him talk about how the coaches and players are working together to redefine the defense and make sure everyone is on the same page. Fran just seems to be putting everything on the players.

I think it's possible that you are reading into this something that isn't there. Fran does talk about working with the players on the defensive drills. I don't have any inside info but I'm willing to bet that after last seasons defensive debacle they all KNOW that the defense has to improve and that Fran has told them that the coaches will do everything they can to get them there.....i.e. the off season emphasis on defensive drills.So, he is talking abut working together to redefine the defense and get everyone on the same page.

Fran is obviously a very intelligent guy.....he also has a lot of pride/ego (whichever way you want to look at it). I don't believe there is anyway he would just let this team slide into next year with a repeat of last year. He knows that no matter how big the buyout, another year like last year probably brings an end to his stint at Iowa. I just highly doubt we don't see significant improvement on defense.....and if not.....

Our defense was VERY solid with Woody and Gesell. Very solid.

I'm not sure I would say our defense was VERY solid, but I will say that a couple of the guys played solid defense. I didn't realize how good Gesell was until I saw his replacements.

I'm not sure I would say our defense was VERY solid, but I will say that a couple of the guys played solid defense. I didn't realize how good Gesell was until I saw his replacements.

In 2012/13 I think Iowa was a top 35 team defensively (defensive efficiency).....that' very solid. Top 60 in another year which is also solid. If we get to top 60 defensive efficiency this year along with our offense we should be very good.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Cook can make it to the NBA if he can either shoot, defend or rebound really well...just one will eventually get him there, but unless he can do all three....he's not a 1st round guy.

For a guy his size though, being an above average defender/rebounder is his ticker IMO.

I wouldn't bet against him being motivated and much improved when in his Jr season at Iowa.

Agree, but the problem is those are his weakest areas, other than passing.

He's got allot of learning and changes to make if he wants to have a chance at that level.

He does have the one thing that can't be taught which is the requisite athleticism.

In 2012/13 I think Iowa was a top 35 team defensively (defensive efficiency).....that' very solid. Top 60 in another year which is also solid. If we get to top 60 defensive efficiency this year along with our offense we should be very good.

Right but 60 would be nearly impossible with these players considering they're in the 250s.

A jump to the middle of the pack, say 125 range, would be enormous and would get them into tournament contention.

Frans good defense teams all revolved around Woody, Mike, AC and Uthoff. All of whom were max effort/intelligence defenders from day 1.

Other than that it's been a pretty spotty with weak defenders improving.

It wasn't tough to see.

Just have to recognize a guy moving his feet and keeping his man in front.

When a team like Iowa tries to put up as many shots as they can in the 40 minutes allotted them, defense is always going to be an after thought. To criticize the Iowa players for not playing defense is ludicrous because of the coaches offensive philosophy.
Yes, Iowa can play better team defense and until they do, climbing the Big Ten ladder is going to be an uphill battle, but playing defense comes with a caveat, and coach is not going to give up scoring at will for playing a pack line defense which limits the number of possessions Iowa could have during the game. If that means playing ole defense that we have been accustom to seeing during Fran's tenure at Iowa that's not going to change anytime soon.
Even the 1970 team that went undefeated in the Big Ten that year and averaged over 100 points, gave up over 90 points a game which I'm pretty sure would have been a bone of contention if social media was prevalent back then.
So have faith, if the 1970 team can win the Big Ten without playing defense maybe, just maybe this Iowa team can do something special next winter.
I don't think anyone was happy with how last years results turned out but I realize that when things go south it isn't always correctable even though us fans see things differently. I'll leave it at that and hope that the players that do return, come back in September with renewed determination in strength, both in body and mind.

When a team like Iowa tries to put up as many shots as they can in the 40 minutes allotted them, defense is always going to be an after thought. To criticize the Iowa players for not playing defense is ludicrous because of the coaches offensive philosophy.
Yes, Iowa can play better team defense and until they do, climbing the Big Ten ladder is going to be an uphill battle, but playing defense comes with a caveat, and coach is not going to give up scoring at will for playing a pack line defense which limits the number of possessions Iowa could have during the game. If that means playing ole defense that we have been accustom to seeing during Fran's tenure at Iowa that's not going to change anytime soon.
Even the 1970 team that went undefeated in the Big Ten that year and averaged over 100 points, gave up over 90 points a game which I'm pretty sure would have been a bone of contention if social media was prevalent back then.
So have faith, if the 1970 team can win the Big Ten without playing defense maybe, just maybe this Iowa team can do something special next winter.
I don't think anyone was happy with how last years results turned out but I realize that when things go south it isn't always correctable even though us fans see things differently. I'll leave it at that and hope that the players that do return, come back in September with renewed determination in strength, both in body and mind.

Wrong.

Cook does have the physical talent for the NBA but is still very raw. Has developed a decent jumper out to 15-19 ft but not consistent. Has terrible position with rebounding and defense and really lacks the awareness in those two areas...some of it is effort.

His biggest issue for me is in transition for athletic as he is. If you dont hit him perfect he often has a hard time controlling the ball or letting people strip him too easily.

He does have a ton of upside and again, super athletic so we will see what happens. I dont think he will be drafted this year but has a chance to come back and really improve his all around game.

Number of points given up does not necessarily represent how well you play defense. It would be fine for Iowa to give up 75 ppg, if their efficiency on offense is consistently better than their opponent. You cannot consistently give the other team better shots than you are getting, like last year's team. I expect some improvement, especially with some true 3s and experience for our bigs, but I don't think Iowa can be better than a mediocre defensive team (maybe top 100) without someone who can play perimeter on-ball defense.

After listening to posters rag on Gesell, who had limitations on offense, it is funny how many posters now realize that he was a pretty damn good PG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT