ADVERTISEMENT

A for attractive: Good-looking female college students saw their grades DROP during Covid pandemic 'when professors couldn't see their faces'

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005

Attractive females saw their grades drop when classes and exams moved online during the pandemic, a study suggests.

Adrian Mehic, a post-doctoral researcher at Lund University, analyzed the scores of 300 male and female engineering students in Sweden before and after Covid hit.

A panel of more than 70 separate participants to grade the attractiveness of each student based on photographs of their faces.

The study found a significant decline in average college grades among attractive female students — but only in 'qualitative' courses where teachers and students were more likely to interact.

These include classes like business and economics, where exams and coursework are graded subjectively.

In quantitative courses — like math and physics — where answers are usually simply correct or incorrect, the same trend was not observed. There was also no trend among males.

Grades from the first two years of a five-year engineering program were pulled - because they featured more general studies instead of specialized courses.

After controlling for age, gender, and the gender of the professor in each course, Mehic found that there was a clear benefit to attractive students in qualitative courses

He said the benefit was not enough to carry a floundering student to the top of the class, but did give a small boost of a few percentage points.

When the COVID-19 pandemic struck Sweden, and much of the world, in early 2020, schools were forced to use video apps like Zoom for instruction.

In many cases, professors would not even know how many of their students looked and face-to-face interactions were near extinct.

During this period, the benefits that attractive female students had in qualitative courses disappeared

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

Summary: Men like attractive women.
mind-blown-new-girl.gif

Fact - Remote learning allows you to see their faces.

Hypothesis - the identified phenomenon has nothing to do with faces

Attractive females saw their grades drop when classes and exams moved online during the pandemic, a study suggests.

Adrian Mehic, a post-doctoral researcher at Lund University, analyzed the scores of 300 male and female engineering students in Sweden before and after Covid hit.

A panel of more than 70 separate participants to grade the attractiveness of each student based on photographs of their faces.

The study found a significant decline in average college grades among attractive female students — but only in 'qualitative' courses where teachers and students were more likely to interact.

These include classes like business and economics, where exams and coursework are graded subjectively.

In quantitative courses — like math and physics — where answers are usually simply correct or incorrect, the same trend was not observed. There was also no trend among males.

Grades from the first two years of a five-year engineering program were pulled - because they featured more general studies instead of specialized courses.

After controlling for age, gender, and the gender of the professor in each course, Mehic found that there was a clear benefit to attractive students in qualitative courses

He said the benefit was not enough to carry a floundering student to the top of the class, but did give a small boost of a few percentage points.

When the COVID-19 pandemic struck Sweden, and much of the world, in early 2020, schools were forced to use video apps like Zoom for instruction.

In many cases, professors would not even know how many of their students looked and face-to-face interactions were near extinct.

During this period, the benefits that attractive female students had in qualitative courses disappeared

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...
Now that’s comedy.

reminds me of a girl in my law school class who responded to a question along the lines of “I feel this is the right answer but can’t articulate why”.

professor: that’s great, now can you go I jam the copy machine for me?

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Once at the end of Marxist thought class, the absolute hands down hottest girl at Dickinson - Liz Duarte — walked out in front of me in her mini skirt. Professor George Friedman (later of Stratfor fame) grabbed my arm, pulled me back into the room, and asked, “are mini skirts coming back? Let me just tell you. Heaven is 1967 when the micro-mini comes out, and you’re 5’3”, and you can almost see…” (trails off in contemplation)

True story

ADVERTISEMENT