ADVERTISEMENT

A ? for the recruiting gurus on this site, do the Iowa coaches work really hard at recruiting? Can they ID talent?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I dont follow recruiting very much so I cant answer these questions. It seems we get a pretty high success rate on defensive recruits. Parker is a Dback guru coach so he always seems to find great players for the secondary and he coaches them up. The rest of the defense is loaded with very good talent and players.

How would you gurus describe the offensive coaches overall the past 5-10 years?

1. Michigan: $2,240,064
  2. Rutgers: $1,609,032
  3. Penn State: $1,486,521
  4. Maryland: $1,380,974
  5. Ohio State: $1,292,799
  6. Illinois: $1,157,460
  7. Minnesota: $1,127,389
  8. Nebraska: $1,020,050
  9. Michigan State: $955,303
  10. Purdue: $878,651
  11. Wisconsin: $857,490
  12. Indiana: $826,713
  13. Iowa: $577,589
Here is how much each team spent last year in recruiting.

To answer your question, no, I think most other schools work harder at it. IMO.

1. Michigan: $2,240,064
  2. Rutgers: $1,609,032
  3. Penn State: $1,486,521
  4. Maryland: $1,380,974
  5. Ohio State: $1,292,799
  6. Illinois: $1,157,460
  7. Minnesota: $1,127,389
  8. Nebraska: $1,020,050
  9. Michigan State: $955,303
  10. Purdue: $878,651
  11. Wisconsin: $857,490
  12. Indiana: $826,713
  13. Iowa: $577,589
Here is how much each team spent last year in recruiting.

To answer your question, no, I think most other schools work harder at it. IMO.
Holy crap, you know I may have heard of this list, well I guess the hawks are getting an appropriate return on investment.

Oh, I see NW is not on the list. Now I understand why we have so many Iowa high school WRs on the team, That is pretty paltry for bringing in $100 million from TV, tickets, parking etc

I'd love to see how the underlying numbers compare.

How would Iowa recruit if we spent an extra million?

Very interesting.
Maybe some of the big spenders pay scouting services a lot of money I dont know but you wouldnt think Mich and OSU would have a lot of travel expense in their recruiting since there are so many good players right near them.

Iowa is the team that needs to travel far and wide to get some top recruits but maybe Kirk doesnt spend money that way.

I dont follow recruiting very much so I cant answer these questions. It seems we get a pretty high success rate on defensive recruits. Parker is a Dback guru coach so he always seems to find great players for the secondary and he coaches them up. The rest of the defense is loaded with very good talent and players.

How would you gurus describe the offensive coaches overall the past 5-10 years?
Northwestern fan here. FWIW ... I have spent way too much time on recruiting for the last 40 years. And for as long as i can remember - under both Fry and Ferentz - Iowa has done a great job of identifying, signing and developing quality players that weren't always a 4 star or otherwise heavily recruited. An Iowa offer always gets my attention. Same with Utah. Maybe the 2 best, most consistent recruiters of undervalued players in the Country.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on money spent in looking at who works the hardest at recruiting. It takes a lot more work to put in the homework and recruit only "fits" with committable offers than to shotgun everything with a crazy number of committable and non-committable offers like Michigan and several of the other big spenders do.

Good Luck on Saturday.

GOUNUII

Northwestern fan here. FWIW ... I have spent way too much time on recruiting for the last 40 years. And for as long as i can remember - under both Fry and Ferentz - Iowa has done a great job of identifying, signing and developing quality players that weren't always a 4 star or otherwise heavily recruited. An Iowa offer always gets my attention. Same with Utah. Maybe the 2 best, most consistent recruiters of undervalued players in the Country.

I wouldn't place too much emphasis on money spent in looking at who works the hardest at recruiting. It takes a lot more work to put in the homework and recruit only "fits" with committable offers than to shotgun everything with a crazy number of committable and non-committable offers like Michigan and several of the other big spenders do.

Good Luck on Saturday.

GOUNUII
Careful, rational thoughts and actual research aren't welcomed by most around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT