ADVERTISEMENT

A good guy with a gun in MO has his AR stolen, then shoots the thief with a second gun (and two random women are shot in the gun fight)

JupiterHawk

HR Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Jupiter, FL
Pretty much an "I told you so" scenario of what can go wrong when you carry an AR into a store. The two women are ok thankfully. The thief was caught. Probably check a box for one of the good guy's fantasies.

• A man who was open-carrying an AR-15-style rifle in Missouri was robbed at gunpoint, police said.
  • After his gun was stolen, police said the victim retrieved another gun from his car.
  • He used it to open fire on the accused robber, police said. A shootout ensued.
A man who was open-carrying an AR-15-style rifle at a Missouri supermarket had his firearm stolen at gunpoint, according to police.

Then, in a surprising twist, he retrieved another gun from his vehicle, and opened fire on the man accused of robbing him, North County Police Cooperative said on Facebook.

Officers responded on May 27 after a call for "shots fired" at Wellston Food Market in St Louis, Missouri.

Officers said that a man had been carrying his rifle around the supermarket in a non-threatening manner.

When he stepped out of the store, a 31-year-old man held a pistol to the back of his head, according to a probable cause statement, per the NBC affiliate station KSDK.

He then stole the victim's jacket and gun, the probable cause statement said, KDSK reported.

After giving the rifle up, police said the victim grabbed another gun he had in his car and opened fire on the accused robber.

A shootout ensued, police said, during which two bystanders — both women — were struck. The injuries were not life-threatening.

The victim fled with his rifle while the accused robber, who had been shot several times, remained on the scene. A third man then also shot him, police said.

The accused robber is charged with armed criminal action, first-degree robbery, and two counts each of unlawful use of a weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm, KSDK reported. His cash-only bond was set at $500,000, the local media outlet said.

"This is a very active and fluid investigation," said the North County Police Cooperative on Facebook.

6299574221000030005eca84.png

So what charges might be filed if the guy who was robbed ended up injuring one or both of the bystanders?

Anyone want to celebrate that an armed robber was stopped in his tracks or are we so busy being anti gun that the robber gets a pass?

Anyone want to celebrate that an armed robber was stopped in his tracks or are we so busy being anti gun that the robber gets a pass?

Two women where hit by bullets in the process of this guy trying to recover his AR-15 that for whatever reason he decided he needed to bring with him into a freaking supermarket.

Two women where hit by bullets in the process of this guy trying to recover his AR-15 that for whatever reason he decided he needed to bring with him into a freaking supermarket.
Do you know who fired those rounds? Could have been the armed robber right? You gonna acknowledge the robber put a gun to the victims head? How does one stop that without a firearm themselves?

You guys are more focused on the "ar15" than you are thr faxt an armed robber got stopped in his tracks.... think about that.

I'd mark it as akin to walking through the bad part of town shouting epithets...it's asking for trouble. Then he initiated a gun battle that wounded two innocent people. Then he fled the scene. And we're celebrating...what?

Are you celebrating the second "hero" who shot the robber, as well?

Do you know who fired those rounds? Could have been the armed robber right? You gonna acknowledge the robber put a gun to the victims head? How does one stop that without a firearm themselves?

You guys are more focused on the "ar15" than you are thr faxt an armed robber got stopped in his tracks.... think about that.

Guy put a gun to his head to steal his. . . AR-15 that he was showing off to everyone.

He could have concealed a handgun, probably not gotten robbed and still be armed.

I'd mark it as akin to walking through the bad part of town shouting epithets...it's asking for trouble. Then he initiated a gun battle that wounded two innocent people. Then he fled the scene. And we're celebrating...what?

At least four guns in a group of five people at a random gas station. Crazy.

Whoa....whoa.... whoa.... who initiated the gun battle? Surly you are talking about thr guy who put a firearm against the back of an armed man's head.

So was it worth it for 2 women to get shot to stop him from stealing it?
Yea, bet that dude doesn't steal shit again and as far as I'm concerned this should all be accounted for in his sentencing for armed robbery. Plus the 10 years I think everyone who commits a crime with a firearm he should get.

Are you serious Clark? An armed robber has feelings, and that's damn important in Libbyland. LOL! (wish he was carried off in a body bag but that's just me, and yes the other guy openly carrying a rifle is a dumbass, but I applaud his backup plan).

Right, so he made himself a target flaunting his big gun. Lesson learned.
Pretty sure you can be anywhere in Libbyland not doing a damn thing and you're "a target". That's how it goes when feelings matter more than dead bodies.

Are you serious Clark? An armed robber has feelings, and that's damn important in Libbyland. LOL! (wish he was carried off in a body bag but that's just me, and yes the other guy openly carrying a rifle is a dumbass, but I applaud his backup plan).
Same page....

Sounds to me like the only person that still has a possibility of dying is the guy who brought his gun to rob people with.
Sounds like the innocent bystanders had a possibility of being killed. They were SHOT.

And if the 'victim' who fled is the one who shot them are you ok with charges being pressed against him for shooting two bystanders?

That is a strange story, seems like there has to be more to it than the facts currently available.
The "victim" is said to be open carrying, with his rifle in a sleeve under a jacket. Not ideal if you are carrying it for protection, lots of moving parts to get to your weapon. Also, who the heck is wearing a jacket at 3 pm as hot as in May.
The thief commits felony armed robbery, takes another gun, and just casually strolls away with no cares in the world?
Then when the victim saves the day with his backup weapon, instead of waiting on the cops to prove he was a good guy with a gun he leaves.
Then a third guy shows up and shoots the thief and also leaves.

All of this happened at a place that the mayor wants to shut down because of repeated shootings in the area, including an officer being killed in 2019 and cops have been called to 600 times in the last 2 years.
Before we proclaim anyone a "good guy" maybe a few more facts need to be discovered.

Wellston Food Market Seems Nice

Sounds like the innocent bystanders had a possibility of being killed. They were SHOT.

And if the 'victim' who fled is the one who shot them are you ok with charges being pressed against him for shooting two bystanders?
Nope.... add it all to the guy who tried to rob someone just like we do with other bystanders impacted during the course of a crime.

The "victim" who fled is going to be in trouble. The act of the robbery was over and his life was no longer in danger, reportedly. He actively sought out another gun, pursued the robber, and engaged him. So now the robber is also a victim. The first victim of robbery became the assailant and will likely be charged with attempted murder.
No way the guy who shot the guy who just put a gun to his head gets charged with "attempted murder".

He should not have fled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT