ADVERTISEMENT

A guy drove up my lane this early morning looking to buy used vehicles of any sort in any condition

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
He said he didn't work for a dealership but bought used vehicles here & there and then re-sold them online and once in a while to inventory hungry dealerships. I told him the only thing I had I didn't need was a 1996 S-10 pickup that my office girl used to drive. It had 290,405 miles on it when we looked. We hooked it up to the jumper cables and I'll be dammed if it didn't start. He offered me $1,500 I countered back to $1,800 and we settled at $1,700 cash. His truck came by about an hour later and winched it up and its gone.

Sounds like good business.

I think that vintage s10s are the ones you can drop a 350 straight into and guys build drag vehicles out of them.

Sounds like good business.

I think that vintage s10s are the ones you can drop a 350 straight into and guys build drag vehicles out of them.
His truck driver told me that the buyer would likely spend about $100 on cosmetic repairs and then turn the truck for something near three grand as a 'work car" for someone with bad credit. He told me that the buyer had bought a 1992 eclipse for $200 one day last week and sold it for $2,500 two days later after a similar treatment. He said the first thing they do with these old beaters after giving them a good scrubbing it to make sure they get an oil change and a good battery and they are an easy sell.

His truck driver told me that the buyer would likely spend about $100 on cosmetic repairs and then turn the truck for something near three grand as a 'work car" for someone with bad credit. He told me that the buyer had bought a 1992 eclipse for $200 one day last week and sold it for $2,500 two days later after a similar treatment. He said the first thing they do with these old beaters after giving them a good scrubbing it to make sure they get an oil change and a good battery and they are an easy sell.
Guy found a way to make a profit.

Reactions: win4jj
I have a sweet 2001 Dodge Caravan he can take off my hands for the right price.

Has Ferrari stickers on it and everything.

Sets off alarms in any school you drive within a quarter mile of but other than that it's awesome.
We had one of those, or circa that vintage. Power would randomly cut out. Replaced with a sexy Odyssey. csb.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2

No one is buying a 1992 Eclipse for $2500

If someone drives up your lane because they see an opportunity to buy used cars...

Ya know... in hindsight maybe the most shocking thing about this story is that OP is married.

He said he didn't work for a dealership but bought used vehicles here & there and then re-sold them online and once in a while to inventory hungry dealerships. I told him the only thing I had I didn't need was a 1996 S-10 pickup that my office girl used to drive. It had 290,405 miles on it when we looked. We hooked it up to the jumper cables and I'll be dammed if it didn't start. He offered me $1,500 I countered back to $1,800 and we settled at $1,700 cash. His truck came by about an hour later and winched it up and its gone.

Buy us all a round of Big Groves or Toppling Goliaths, beeyotch!!!😎

We had one too and it had a short somewhere and would eat batteries every couple of years. Also replaced with Odyssey (in 2006). Please tell me you're not my wife posting on here.
Whew not my wife - we got the Odyssey in 2007! But, next thing you're going tell me is that you are a middle aged mildly athletic white guy who loves the Hawkeyes.

Reactions: SB_SB
I have no trouble believing that...I have experienced very similar things in the past year or so.

I know a guy that was making decent side money flipping cars. He'd just buy cheap cars cash on craiglist for under a thousand if he was able to drive them away. He'd relist it for a few hundred more and start over after he sold it. Good racket for literally doing nothing to them.

Can people actually get a loan for that-- a ~30 year old Eclipse?

Yes, based on Soybean's post sounds like the guy has a buy here pay here car lot.
Not sure about the midwest but in FL, GA, and MS they all work basically the same --
The lot will get 500 down to cover costs then have a payment plan tied to the customer's paycheck or govt check date. What the driver said about "repairs" is accurate they will do some cosmetics to make it look ok and then dump a ton of Lucas heavy-duty oil in to hide as many sounds as possible and put it back on the road.
On top of all that they tend to be ultra-aggressive collectors who will repo at one day late with no contact and most have GPS devices on all their cars, usually a dummy and the real one.

Those buy here pay here guys typically are bottom feeders who take advantage of people, but people keep going back, so someone is going to keep the lot open.

Reactions: Gonolz
Can people actually get a loan for that-- a ~30 year old Eclipse?

Not at traditional banks. There is a specialized market for car dealers who self-finance bad credit people. Get a down payment, set a monthly payment that includes high interest and be prepared to repossess and sell the car again.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Yes, based on Soybean's post sounds like the guy has a buy here pay here car lot.
Not sure about the midwest but in FL, GA, and MS they all work basically the same --
The lot will get 500 down to cover costs then have a payment plan tied to the customer's paycheck or govt check date. What the driver said about "repairs" is accurate they will do some cosmetics to make it look ok and then dump a ton of Lucas heavy-duty oil in to hide as many sounds as possible and put it back on the road.
On top of all that they tend to be ultra-aggressive collectors who will repo at one day late with no contact and most have GPS devices on all their cars, usually a dummy and the real one.

Those buy here pay here guys typically are bottom feeders who take advantage of people, but people keep going back, so someone is going to keep the lot open.
This.

tenor.gif

Yep, and to show you how smart I am I was thinking of giving it away to a high school boy a couple miles over.
Crazy, but I have a 96 Izuzu, the same truck, waiting to give away right now. It has been my firewood hauler, spare when others are in the shop, haul garbage ride for years.
Sentimentally, my kid brother bought it new.

ADVERTISEMENT