ADVERTISEMENT

A interesting read in the Smithsonian about gun control in the Old West.

“I get my history lessons from movies, not books and liberal losers like the Smithsonian. Everyone had guns back then and the good guys with guns stop the bad guys with guns all the time. They also fire with 100% accuracy while the bad guys are much closer to 0% and no innocent bystanders are ever struck by errant bullets.”

-Probably @23 so far

I always read that they did this in the cattle railhead towns like Dodge City.
It only made sense. The undertaker couldn’t keep up.

Reactions: Scott559
The SCOTUS actually addressed this in the Bruen ruling. and it was mentioned in the first sentence. Arizona was not even a State. US territories did have laws contrary to the Constitution. These laws were dropped when they became States.

(v) Finally, respondents point to the slight uptick in gun regulation during the late-19th century. As the Court suggested in Heller, however, late-19th-century evidence cannot provide much insight into the meaning of the Second Amendment when it contradicts earlier evidence. In addition, the vast majority of the statutes that respondents invoke come from the Western Territories. The bare existence of these localized restrictions cannot overcome the overwhelming evidence of an otherwise enduring American tradition permitting public carry. See Heller, 554 U. S., at 614. Moreover, these territorial laws were rarely subject to judicial scrutiny, and absent any evidence explaining why these unprecedented prohibitions on all public carry were understood to comport with the Second Amendment, they do little to inform “the origins and continuing significance of the Amendment.” Ibid.; see also The Federalist No. 37, p. 229. Finally, these territorial restrictions deserve little weight because they were, consistent with the transitory nature of territorial government, short lived. Some were held unconstitutional shortly after passage, and others did not survive a Territory’s admission to the Union as a State.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT