ADVERTISEMENT

A.J. Edds named Big Ten assistant director of sports administration

Apr 8, 2003
Big Ten Announces Hiring of Edds, Price

ROSEMONT, Ill. — The Big Ten is pleased to announce the hiring of A.J. Edds as assistant director of sports administration and Jerrell Price as assistant director of basketball and football operations.

Edds joins the Big Ten after serving as a regional manager at Rocksolid, LLC, in Chicago for the past year. Prior to that, Edds was a linebacker in the NFL playing with Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, New York Jets and Jacksonville Jaguars from 2010-2015. Edds graduated from the University of Iowa in 2010 with a degree in management and organizations. Edds played for the Hawkeyes where he earned Academic All-Big Ten honors on three occasions in addition to being a second-team All-Big Team selection and team captain as a senior in 2009. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree in sports administration from Northwestern University.

Price comes to the Big Ten after working at the NCAA in Indianapolis since 2015. Price worked with various aspects of women’s basketball operations at the NCAA. Prior to that, Price was a coordinator for operations at BLR Holdings in Bethesda, Md. From 2013-14, Price was the director of operations for the George Mason University women’s basketball program. Price earned a bachelor’s degree in physical education from Missouri State in 2012. He has also earned a certificate in professional studies from Columbia University and is slated to complete his master of science degree in administrative studies from Missouri State in December 2017.

Edds will work out of the Big Ten’s Rosemont office while Price will be located at the Big Ten’s Manhattan office.

TRANSACTIONS

A.J. Edds named assistant director of sports administration. Jerrell Price named assistant director of basketball and football operations.

This sort of things continues to support my admiration of Ferentz and how he encourages his players to be students and thinkers ... instead of just "football majors." There is a very long string of former Iowa players who have gone on to be success in life ... even apart from football. To me, that is as much of a ringing endorsement of the program as their success in placing guys into the NFL.

This sort of things continues to support my admiration of Ferentz and how he encourages his players to be students and thinkers ... instead of just "football majors." There is a very long string of former Iowa players who have gone on to be success in life ... even apart from football. To me, that is as much of a ringing endorsement of the program as their success in placing guys into the NFL.

I'm sure Kirk and company had a positive impact on AJ Edds. But Edds was going to be successful in life no matter which program he played under.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I'm sure Kirk and company had a positive impact on AJ Edds. But Edds was going to be successful in life no matter which program he played under.
Surely the individual and their family set the foundations .... but all the other positive (and negative) influences can have an impact too. I've run into way too many people who seemed like they were set to be successful and yet they still got derailed along the line. Nothing is a given.

For example, Northwestern had a QB who was also a pre-med guy ... however, despite being a student at Northwestern ... he was still forced to alter his academics so that football received the top priority. In contrast, Iowa typically accommodates such students ... even if it is to the ire of the OC or DC.

There is not a finer coach at any level of football (or any other sport for that matter) than the one we got in these respects. You could replace Ferentz with Brands and that statement would ring true as well. McCaffery and Heller are top notch individuals and do things the right way as well. This is why we care so much about these programs and why our alumni are so proud to call ourselves Hawkeyes.

Couldn’t let it get to 7 years old? Have some patience. Feel free to add something new next time as well.

One can only DITTO the comments of Ghost of Homer 77. Iowa has been blessed with the integrity of Coach Ferentz and the football program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT