ADVERTISEMENT

A Judge Asked Harvard to Find Out Why So Many Black People Were In Prison. They Could Only Find 1 Answer: Systemic Racism

What “system”?
The big movement in academia is not to assign the term “racist” because so much of what we are talking about today is subconscious. The “systemic racism” term is about how these subconscious prejudices reveal themselves in the macro-data.
Good lord you’ve gone full blown wacko now.

Are white nationalists the arm of the Republican Party?
Maybe we should let Stephen Miller answer. ;-)

350 years? The Asians turned it around in about what, 75 years.
Yeah...that's when they were stolen and brought over here. The entire structure of our nation was white supremacy. Everything was about keeping blacks below whites. Hell, they only became equal 55 years ago. I'm not going to go all over this again but the policy of the USA was white people were better than blacks. So no, 55 years isn't enough time for them to actually be equal, when they are STILL being prejudiced against. Listen to them. They know. Thousands of white Americans continue to hate black Americans. Why? There isn't a good reason.

So you don't think it could be both? More men are committing crimes and they are sentenced longer than women?

No, I actually think men create more of the crimes. I also think that people who live in poverty, whether black or white, probably serve longer sentences because they can't afford top notch lawyers.

I don't really consider a racial problem, but more of a poverty problem.

I also think people who grow up in single family households along with 5 other siblings, black white yellow whatever the color of their skin have less of a chance of breaking out of it.

There are a lot more poor white people than black when you look at numbers.

I brought up Asians and they have strong family and education values. That is their culture. That is why they do so well.

I believe when you keep telling someone or a group of people it is always somebody else's fault, they start to believe that and don't do well.

Yeah...that's when they were stolen and brought over here. The entire structure of our nation was white supremacy. Everything was about keeping blacks below whites. Hell, they only became equal 55 years ago. I'm not going to go all over this again but the policy of the USA was white people were better than blacks. So no, 55 years isn't enough time for them to actually be equal, when they are STILL being prejudiced against. Listen to them. They know. Thousands of white Americans continue to hate black Americans. Why? There isn't a good reason.

Very nice opinion piece there. You look at skin color, I look at poverty groups.

So, which group of current African Americans were stolen and brought over here?

Do we determine where their ancestors were stolen from and give them the opportunity to go back, it sounds like that is what you are wanting.

Very nice opinion piece there. You look at skin color, I look at poverty groups.

So, which group of current African Americans were stolen and brought over here.

Do we determine where their ancestors were stolen from and give them the opportunity to go back, it sounds like that is what you are wanting.
You should probably stop there. Wow you are misinformed.

No, I actually think men create more of the crimes. I also think that people who live in poverty, whether black or white, probably serve longer sentences because they can't afford top notch lawyers.

I also think people who grow up in single family households along with 5 other siblings, black white yellow whatever the color of their skin have less of a chance of breaking out of it.

I brought up Asians and they have strong family and education values. That is their culture. That is why they do so well.

I believe when you keep telling someone or a group of people it is always somebody else's fault, they start to believe that and don't do well.
While there's some elements of truth to what you're saying, there's also truth in what others have said, including this article. I'd love to see you open you mind to that possibility, but it's obvious, you aren't willing to even entertain the idea. That's a shame, we all would benefit if we could resolve this issue together.

While there's some elements of truth to what you're saying, there's also truth in what others have said, including this article. I'd love to see you open you mind to that possibility, but it's obvious, you aren't willing to even entertain the idea. That's a shame, we all would benefit if we could resolve this issue together.

And I respectfully disagree. I think the government has done a huge injustice to poor people in the way they have approached it. You teach them to fish, you dont give them the fish.

How? He basically accuses all white people of hating black people, I don't believe that.

How is poverty not the cause of lots of problems? No matter what your color.
JFC. You must have been in the slow group in reading at school. Such shit comprehension of what he said.

Reactions: Rudolph
Excellent post. I’ve found myself saying that about your posts more and more.
And I respectfully disagree. I think the government has done a huge injustice to poor people in the way they have approached it. You teach them to fish, you dont give them the fish.
Every answer is boiled down to the most simplistic cliche with you.

You've reached your conclusion about this and I've reached mine. Once the conversation about racial bias turns to welfare reform, it pretty much has run it course.

Don’t completely misrepresent or lie about what another poster says and I’ll be happy to let you be. Good game in Ames today, BTW.

As I said, stay out of it, he can defend what he said or didn't say. He can clarify it he doesn't need you to do it for him.

You've reached your conclusion about this and I've reached mine. Once the conversation about racial bias turns to welfare reform, it pretty much has run it course.

I can live with that, we just have some different opinions. I appreciate you being decent during the conversation.

And... systemic racism is a HUGE reason why so many blacks are in poverty.

I think anyone who denies a racial bias isn't happening in the courthouses across the country is either extremely naive or in total denial.
We need to come together and fix this as a nation.
So.....what do you think will fix it? Harassing innocent civilians, looting, destroying stuff will NOT change shit. Except maybe piss off people and make them go from caring to not giving crap.

So, we have a start. Lets fix that.

This is a problem just like any other. Most problems aren't one big thing, just a bunch of smaller ones. Not to downplay this, but each little step we can take moves us closer to a total solution.
Again...what's your realistic answer?
Things will never be equal. Maybe we can riot everywhere, burn the usa to the ground and we can all be 3rd world citizens....but at least we'll all be ****ed equally

It may well be that the economic group one belongs to is a result of systemic racism.

So.....what do you think will fix it? Harassing innocent civilians, looting, destroying stuff will NOT change shit. Except maybe piss off people and make them go from caring to not giving crap.
Whoa sport, no one has been more critical towards Burn Loot and Murder than I have. But that doesn't mean that we don't have a problem and can't find solutions for those problems.
I guess you want to believe that we as a nation are too stupid to address issues now. I don't, and won't surrender to that line of thought.

Solving problems is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

I'm guessing you didn't read any of the article. They studied millions of cases.
If 100 people commit similar crimes, 50 are Black and 50 are White, wouldn't you expect the outcomes to be pretty similar? That's just not happening. Everything from the charges to the sentencing is more severe for the Black population.
Once in a while we all need to step back from our normal positions and start from neutral. Not everything can be explained away with more Blacks are criminals.
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I don't know how accurate this article actually is. It reeks of political bias to me.

In the article they compare possessing an illegal firearm to oui. Then go on to say that oui Is more dangerous, and the only reason oui's get a plea deal is because most are white. (See quote below) I can't take things like this seriously. No one in there right mind would say drinking and driving is worse than carrying an illegal firearm. In fact, I bet most on this board have done it, but very few have carried an illegal firearm.

It is this same logic that blames the police for shooting someone after that same person just committed a serious crime. I would be interested in seeing the whole article though. It is possible that the author of the article misrepresented the research.

For example:
"One of the more interesting parts of the report juxtaposed people who possessed illegal firearms with people arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence (OUI). They reasoned that both acts are potentially dangerous but statistics show that driving under the influence actually causes much more harm to the public than simply carrying an unlicensed firearm. But, because white people make up 82 percent of people who are convicted of OUI, the state considers operating under the influence as a “public health problem,” so the charge is often resolved without a felony conviction. In fact, 77 percent of the people who don’t end up with a felony conviction after admitting that they operated a vehicle under the influence are white. However, despite Black defendants making up 16.4 percent of firearm cases in 2012, 46 percent of the people convicted of a firearm offense was Black. And 70.3 percent of the time, the Black person’s only offense was carrying a firearm without a license."

Reactions: Gimmered
I agree with a lot of what you say, but I don't know how accurate this article actually is. It reeks of political bias to me.

In the article they compare possessing an illegal firearm to oui. Then go on to say that oui Is more dangerous, and the only reason oui's get a plea deal is because most are white. (See quote below) I can't take things like this seriously. No one in there right mind would say drinking and driving is worse than carrying an illegal firearm. In fact, I bet most on this board have done it, but very few have carried an illegal firearm.

It is this same logic that blames the police for shooting someone after that same person just committed a serious crime. I would be interested in seeing the whole article though. It is possible that the author of the article misrepresented the research.

For example:
"One of the more interesting parts of the report juxtaposed people who possessed illegal firearms with people arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence (OUI). They reasoned that both acts are potentially dangerous but statistics show that driving under the influence actually causes much more harm to the public than simply carrying an unlicensed firearm. But, because white people make up 82 percent of people who are convicted of OUI, the state considers operating under the influence as a “public health problem,” so the charge is often resolved without a felony conviction. In fact, 77 percent of the people who don’t end up with a felony conviction after admitting that they operated a vehicle under the influence are white. However, despite Black defendants making up 16.4 percent of firearm cases in 2012, 46 percent of the people convicted of a firearm offense was Black. And 70.3 percent of the time, the Black person’s only offense was carrying a firearm without a license."
I just read your first sentence and wanted to point out it’s peer reviewed, if you somehow didn’t catch that.

When you go looking for crime, you go to where the crime is. Where the violent crime is. Per the stats I looked at, like many locations in the country, this would be in communities with higher numbers of people of color in Massachusetts.

This probably explains some of the targeting and resultant numbers for crimes not violent.

The sentencing, to an extent. Blacks/latinos probably have public perception as being more dangerous or likely to be criminal on the basis of more noteworthy violent crime rates amongst the demographic. Maybe that bias works into sentencing.

Of course the response, on a case by case level, should be algorithmic. Group outcomes shouldn't affect the individual. Big question I have on sentencing is controlling for public defender across races.

A really good example would be stop and frisk in NYC for blacks and latinos. That demographic committed nearly all the murders in the city. > 95%, look it up. So policing targeted those communities specifically. The effort cut down murders by something like half under Bloomburg, but, probably put quite a few men into jail that wouldn't have otherwise been in jail.

One of the problems here is dealing with the reality of needing to go where (important) crime is when the crime is committed largely by a specific group.

So you would say something like stop and frisk is a really crude measure. Other racial profiling, like traffic stops, would probably all under the same umbrella.

I just read your first sentence and wanted to point out it’s peer reviewed, if you somehow didn’t catch that.
My point still stands. I said in my post I would read the research article with an open mind. There is the potential that what is in this posted article is not exactly the results of the research. Journalists have been know to take some liberties when writing articles.

I would be curious if the researchers say that oui is more dangerous than illegally possessing a firearm. Because very rarely will simply drinking and driving get you shot by police. But your chance of getting shot by police skyrocket when you posess an illegal firearm.

Whoa sport, no one has been more critical towards Burn Loot and Murder than I have. But that doesn't mean that we don't have a problem and can't find solutions for those problems.
I guess you want to believe that we as a nation are too stupid to address issues now. I don't, and won't surrender to that line of thought.

Solving problems is like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
The problem will never be completely solved...knowing that is step one.
Life not fair, not even in "civilized" countries.

These youngsters out throwing fits are only making things worse. Of course they have idiots like Bernie telling them all these things they should feel entitled to, even though they aren't/shouldn't be entitled to any of them.

Each day this country continues to become more and more divided. Yes, some is Donnie's fault but that issue goes way beyond him.

Were there no browns and yellows here 55 years ago, or were they part of white supremacy?

What is the background to this stuff?

A Judge asked Harvard to do something? How exactly did this come about?

How would I go about asking "Harvard" to research something for example?

Did the judge commit dollars to this project? His own? or dollars from some government budget that he controls? or did he ask this in relation to an actual case before his court? which seems odd to me.

Reactions: Hawk_82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT