ADVERTISEMENT

A Little Different Twist

EKHawk

All-Conference
Nov 23, 2010
All this talk about whether or not to knell or stand during the national anthem. I realize there's already a pretty lengthy thread regarding this topic but rather than get lost in that thread, I'm looking for sincere feedback to a suggestion that may or may not have already been brought up.

What if the team took a knee before the Star Spangled Banner and then stood together once the national anthem was being played? Having them rise up and stand at that moment could make a powerful statement and also have a unifying affect for the team(s), fans, state and anyone watching the game on cable/internet.

Maybe this is a dumb idea but I'm a sucker for uplifting gestures like the wave. So what do you think?

Trying to control what anyone does in this situation will not work. That itself will be reason to take a knee on a larger stage. Maybe the easier thing to do will be not give a shit less either way. We stand because of pride and appreciation , if someone isn’t, don’t force them to stand.

Last edited:
All this talk about whether or not to knell or stand during the national anthem. I realize there's already a pretty lengthy thread regarding this topic but rather than get lost in that thread, I'm looking for sincere feedback to a suggestion that may or may not have already been brought up.

What if the team took a knee before the Star Spangled Banner and then stood together once the national anthem was being played? Having them rise up and stand at that moment could make a powerful statement and also have a unifying affect for the team(s), fans, state and anyone watching the game on cable/internet.

Maybe this is a dumb idea but I'm a sucker for uplifting gestures like the wave. So what do you think?
The only way it works is if they crap on the anthem, or so I've heard....

Holy crap, you just solved a problem that's been vexing our country for years. Wait ... no ... never mind, it's a dumb idea.

How about the camera doesnt zoom in on the players during the national anthem. Let them do what they want, just don't showcase it.
Just like the riots and protests, don't put it on tv.
People won't talk about the kneeling after a few weeks and life will go on.

How about the camera doesnt zoom in on the players during the national anthem. Let them do what they want, just don't showcase it.

Yup. I’ve thought about this too. The power of video editing is strong. Most people don’t realize it.

This approach will absolutely happen, in some places more than others. And think it’s fine if networks choose to not focus on it.

Way too logical. The print press was the beginning of the end.

Trying to control what anyone does in this situation will not work. That itself will be reason to take a knee on a larger stage. Maybe the easier thing to do will be not give a shit less either way. We stand because of pride and appreciation , if someone isn’t, don’t force them to stand.

The last sentence of what you said is the key. I said to a few of my buddies two months ago that I was embarrassed to be an American and didn’t think I could stand for the anthem when sports resumed. I won’t get into the things that bother me right now as this isn’t the place, but standing for the anthem is about pride in my country and truthfully I just hope I get it back sooner rather than later. Side note: I will say a prayer for vets, those who have passed, and current military as I do appreciate them.

You actually think the media would zoom away from this?? Not a chance, they will make the biggest deal out of it as they can. Why? Because that's what the corrupt run liberal media does

I second the idea that tv doesn’t cover this. They typically don’t show the national anthem anyway. I support the players. I also support tv not showing this.

You actually think the media would zoom away from this?? Not a chance, they will make the biggest deal out of it as they can. Why? Because that's what the corrupt run liberal media does
Oh no doubt. If you look at these protests going on, 99% of the people in the streets have their phones out and recording it for Instagram or any other social media. It's all about getting 'likes' and seeking attention.

They're going to kneel. People need to come to grips with that. The idea was not created by Kaepernick. It was created by a Navy Seal advising Kaepernick. Kneeling is a sign of reverence, but in this case, it also serves to reflect on the injustices being performed every day on people of color.

None of this serves to disrespect the flag or our troops. It was our idiot president who came up with that charge.

Reactions: TooTall25

You sound like you're trying to regurgitate something you heard or read on a gay white-nationalist blog. But it's not working for ya.

At first, yes, maybe the camera guys and producers at the stadium will only focus in on kneeling players and coaches. Because that'll be timely and stuff. But then it will fade.

Soon, cameras -- during the anthem -- will again just focus on head coaches with hands on their heart, and flags fluttering in the wind. And wide shots of stadiums, students in the stands, etc. And we can enjoy the Hawks again ... maybe even without fearing the high blood pressure that your country doc has warned you about.

A few kneeling players will absolutely mean something for a while. The media will promote it. And that's a good thing, IMO.

But don't worry, this emphasis on kneeling won't last forever, my dudes. It'll fade out a bit. So all you uptight prejudice dipsticks can relax (while eating a big ol' bag of dirty dicks, I hope) and watch the game from the comfort of your trailer homes while foolishly tossing around the N-word ... just like yer grand pappy used to do.

giphy.gif

Reactions: littlez
You sound like you're trying to regurgitate something you heard or read on a gay white-nationalist blog. But it's not working for ya.

At first, yes, maybe the camera guys and producers at the stadium will only focus in on kneeling players and coaches. Because that'll be timely and stuff. But then it will fade.

Soon, cameras -- during the anthem -- will again just focus on head coaches with hands on their heart, and flags fluttering in the wind. And wide shots of stadiums, students in the stands, etc. And we can enjoy the Hawks again ... maybe even without fearing the high blood pressure that your country doc has warned you about.

A few kneeling players will absolutely mean something for a while. The media will promote it. And that's a good thing, IMO.

But don't worry, this emphasis on kneeling won't last forever, my dudes. It'll fade out a bit. So all you uptight prejudice dipsticks can relax (while eating a big ol' bag of dirty dicks, I hope) and watch the game from the comfort of your trailer homes while foolishly tossing around the N-word ... just like yer grand pappy used to do.

giphy.gif

You're one stupid mofo. Nice pic, you could use a dentist

What would happen if the national anthem was played when the players and coaches go back to their dressing areas just before kick off?
Better yet, just go on with the way it is now and don't worry about it...

EKHawk said:

They're going to kneel. People need to come to grips with that. The idea was not created by Kaepernick. It was created by a Navy Seal advising Kaepernick. Kneeling is a sign of reverence, but in this case, it also serves to reflect on the injustices being performed every day on people of color.

None of this serves to disrespect the flag or our troops. It was our idiot president who came up with that charge.
[/quote]
Your last paragraph is typical. Don't tell people who are choosing to kneel what they should or shouldn't be offended by, however, the rest of you shouldn't be offended because it isn't disrespectful. Sorry, but you don't get the power to tell me what is or isn't disrespectful. They have every right to kneel and I have every right to think they could choose a much less divisive method. As far as the President is concerned, are you saying that no Americans felt offended until he said something? That is bold cotton.......

I guess I have been actually attending too many Iowa games in person. When did they start showing the National anthem being played on TV? It used to be just the talking heads getting in their last few words....or commercials.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Good idea, but you are talking about a media that likes to incite riots and spew propaganda 24/7

Reactions: B1G

giphy.gif
You are a despicable excuse for a human being, FYI

I guess I have been actually attending too many Iowa games in person. When did they start showing the National anthem being played on TV? It used to be just the talking heads getting in their last few words....or commercials.

You are correct, anthem isn't always shown on TV. But it is sometimes. Just depends on timing, magnitude of the game, who's singing, etc.

It's a great idea one that should appease all comers.

Reactions: EKHawk

Well you're close on the Navy Seal. The Seal was actually a teammate. Colin began by sitting during the anthem. The teammate did not like the look of Colin sitting basically saying "you're free to do whatever you want but will you at least consider kneeling? It's not quite as disrespectful of a look".

I'm for playing football which is the reason the players and fans are there. If a player wants to spend the entire time he is on the sideline kneeling then go for it as long as he can still run when he has to go into the game. It is going to end up being kneel for this, stand for that and sit for the other thing and all of the sudden you are giving catholic mass a run for their money.

I’m in great idea!!!

Reactions: EKHawk

Way too logical. The print press was the beginning of the end.
For sure. Social media took it to the extreme. I mean I'm happy we live in a free country and all, but both sides of the fence have their media shills who take everything to the absolute extreme to get ratings or clicks. People have forgotten how to have an opinion of their own and just believe the over the top crazy stuff being thrown out there every 5 seconds. It's a real national crisis we have right now.

The tradition of standing for the national anthem and presentation of our flag began decades before Trump became the President. And, it does in fact, honor those who serve and defend our country past and present.

I can say with 100% certainty ... I do not give two shits what the players do ... Kneel, stand, do push ups, play leap frog ... what they do has ZERO effect on me personally ...
I'm with you. I'm just tired of this whole issue.
Let's just get to the football part of the show, and leave this shit for the the Off Topic boards.
Go Hawks!

Reactions: Rustys Dad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT