ADVERTISEMENT

A MAGA America Would Be Ugly

I was unaware cigaretteman had so much influence to be scrubbing Paul Krugman's archives from the internet.
the-more-you-know.gif
Now who looks silly?

Reactions: goldmom
I'm skeptical MAGAism could take over America.

It's relatively substanceless.

I am much more worried republicans cheating to win elections and stay in power.

I'm skeptical they could install, or win over populace with a specific, ideology.

I'd take it the other direction: less than Orban.

We don't, not now at least, have enough people on the right that want to do what Orban has done procedurally.
MAGAism is literally taking over America today. You think the MTG’s aren’t going to ratf*ck elections going forward? It’s out in the open that that’s what they are going to do if given the power. Election deniers are on the ballot everywhere, and inflation, so they’re going to be voted in today. Why does this point have to be repeated so many times?

He's not going to jail. And, he's likely winning the 2024 nomination from Rs. And, Biden isn't popular so ... yeah.
Him getting the nomination would give D’s their best chance at cleaning house in 24…

It’d be horrible for the country if we have another Trump candidacy.

The independents that voted for Joe ain’t swinging back to Trump.

If I’m the Democrats I actually hope the Republicans take the Senate, because the Republicans are highly likely to take the House. I would think the country doesn’t care too much about impeaching Biden (being a bad president doesn’t make you impeachable) or all this Hunter Biden stuff. All this far right crazy stuff could help the Democrats in 2024, much like all the crazy stuff the far left has been pushing the past two years, will probably hurt them today.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
How is this “takeover” effecting your day to day life? Serious question.
How will it “affect” the lives of voters whose votes don’t matter in ‘24? How will it affect the lives of the people Trump and his goons have chanted they were going to “lock up?” Also serious. You’re so certain this is business as usual. That the Republican election deniers literally telling us that once in power they will send their own electors regardless of how many votes are cast for one side or another in ‘24 don’t really mean it. That CPAC being in held in Budapest with Fascist Orban being the key note speaker meant something else. It’s not like republicans are hiding it. Why do we have to tell you what they mean when they’re speaking English and acting right out in the open? I’d like to hear your interpretation of CPAC in Budapest. Or what it means to you when Trump says he wants to lock up his political enemies. Or when Republican governors say votes won’t matter going forward. Serious question.

If I’m the Democrats I actually hope the Republicans take the Senate, because the Republicans are highly likely to take the House. I would think the country doesn’t care too much about impeaching Biden (being a bad president doesn’t make you impeachable) or all this Hunter Biden stuff. All this far right crazy stuff could help the Democrats in 2024, much like all the crazy stuff the far left has been pushing the past two years, will probably hurt them today.
How will it “help the democrats in 2024” if votes for democrats in 2024 don’t matter? Why won’t anyone answer that question? It’s literally what Dems mean when they say “democracy is on the ballot.”

Reactions: cigaretteman
The independents that voted for Joe ain’t swinging back to Trump.
Some of them who voted for Joe are swinging back to Rs for this midterm. If inflation is still an issue in 2024 (I don't think it will be) but if it is, then even Trump would have a good shot at beating Joe. I don't think Independents would even need to flip to Trump. Some may just not vote.

If I’m the Democrats I actually hope the Republicans take the Senate, because the Republicans are highly likely to take the House. I would think the country doesn’t care too much about impeaching Biden (being a bad president doesn’t make you impeachable) or all this Hunter Biden stuff. All this far right crazy stuff could help the Democrats in 2024, much like it helped the Republicans what the Democrats have done the past two years.
Worst mistake R’s could make is to impeach Joe.

There’s a couple legit investigations they should do…
How will it “affect” the lives of voters whose votes don’t matter in ‘24? How will it affect the lives of the people Trump and his goons have chanted they were going to “lock up?” Also serious. You’re so certain this is business as usual. That the Republican election deniers literally telling us that once in power they will send their own electors regardless of how many votes are cast for one side or another in ‘24 don’t really mean it. That CPAC being in held in Budapest with Fascist Orban being the key note speaker meant something else. It’s not like republicans are hiding it. Why do we have to tell you what they mean when they’re speaking English and acting right out in the open? I’d like to hear your interpretation of CPAC in Budapest. Or what it means to you when Trump says he wants to lock up his political enemies. Or when Republican governors say votes won’t matter going forward. Serious question.
Sorry, I thought you meant now.

Those are legit things to be worried about if they come to fruition.

How will it “help the democrats in 2024” if votes for democrats in 2024 don’t matter? Why won’t anyone answer that question? It’s literally what Dems mean when they say “democracy is on the ballot.”
Both sides have tried to deny the results of elections. It’s never worked and it never will. How would reforming the electoral college not fix this problem?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FlickShagwell
Some of them who voted for Joe are swinging back to Rs for this midterm.
Yes. But not Trump…the under ticket for the R’s outperformed Trump in 2020. R’s actually gained seats in the House while Trump lost by 8M

Independents split their vote all the time.

Peoples feelings on Trump are baked in IMO

Reactions: srams21 and goldmom
Not by the popular vote. No way...but because Democrats won't be allowed to win, legally, by states with red legislatures. Fascism.
If this happens, and I really don’t doubt it, this means a new civil war. Seems like a lot of the cult want it anyway.

Now who looks silly?
It could be me, I'm apt to that and mostly not on purpose. But your post dies say "Sorry Paul...you're the one blah blah blah."

I'm going to cut to the chase here, I don't really care what point you're trying to make. I just kick out of how often and consistently you bring up the treatment of Mitt Romney a decade ago.

Reactions: Rudolph
MAGAism is literally taking over America today. You think the MTG’s aren’t going to ratf*ck elections going forward? It’s out in the open that that’s what they are going to do if given the power. Election deniers are on the ballot everywhere, and inflation, so they’re going to be voted in today. Why does this point have to be repeated so many times?
How is it taking over? Explain.

I thought I was pretty clear... republicans pose a threat to elections across the country because of the lather they've worked themselves into over defeating democrats. It has become a holy war -- or close. I really think it's about that simple with most of them. They're not anti-democratic in theory -- they're overly concerned with winning and that "allows them" to take undemocratic action.

MAGA then, to me, is the attachment to Donald Trump as an almost cult like figure. Donald Trump, the lazy, crazy, a-democratic, incurious narcissist gets along with these guys because that's all he wants: to win. He has no big plans and neither do most of his followers. They (mostly) think he was legitimately cheated last election, and they'll do whatever he asks.

The damage they'll do is in their effort to find a way to win; they don't have the aim of taking over America and installing their ideology. The republican party is much the same -- they have largely become ideologically void. They have little agreed upon values besides defeating the democrats. They've assembled a party of fighters. They'll take any idiot they think can help them get there.

Most realistic concern, I think:
A) The assault on democratic processes weakens American democratic institutions over time.
B) The weakness results in the threat of an ideologically strong party capturing the country in a moment of national crises/weakness.
C) State level stuff -- I really think this will be where most of the action is for a while... republicans trying to lock down certain states.

We get a fully MAGA America, I'm out. Well, as soon as my wife retires. I'm too old and worn out and, frankly, out of f***s to give. I just don't want to deal with having front row seats to watching the country destroy itself from the inside.

I said, I think on this site, a long time ago, there is no country on earth (probably even combination of countries) that can take us down. We can only do it to ourselves. MAGA will do it intentionally without understanding they are doing it, because they are too stupid to understand what they are doing.

We get a fully MAGA America, I'm out. Well, as soon as my wife retires. I'm too old and worn out and, frankly, out of f***s to give. I just don't want to deal with having front row seats to watching the country destroy itself from the inside.

I said, I think on this site, a long time ago, there is no country on earth (probably even combination of countries) that can take us down. We can only do it to ourselves. MAGA will do it intentionally without understanding they are doing it, because they are too stupid to understand what they are doing.
I think you described fairly accurately the extreme left and extreme right with this post.

You’re sad. You think the vast majority of Americans are okay with this awful and dark scenario you’ve been sold?
Keep some faith in your fellow Americans. Or seek some help.

Have you ever once thought that you might be wrong about all of this? With all of the things that Republicans are trying to do, you seriously are THIS confident?
Sure…I’ve been wrong about a lot of things.

But I repeat….Joe beat him by 8M from the basement. Joe Biden.

Trump ain’t winning in 2024 (unless the D’s go bat shit and nominate Kamala) then all bets are off

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Ever since trump showed up my faith in my country and countrymen has drastically slipped. Logic and reason are getting trounced by feelings.
Understandable. But to think that an elderly man with diminished mental faculties is better for America doesn’t really do it for me, either.
Hopefully we’ll have a much better choice in 2024.

You’re sad. You think the vast majority of Americans are okay with this awful and dark scenario you’ve been sold?
Keep some faith in your fellow Americans. Or seek some help.
What could we possibly do about it? The Supreme Court who no one elected decided on a whim to throw out what had been the settled law of the land for 50 years and what happened?

And you even claimed that would never happen before it did. Americans won’t stand for it, you claimed, and here instead of stopping it, you’ve consistently backed it!

Do you have an ounce of self awareness? Good god.

Understandable. But to think that an elderly man with diminished mental faculties is better for America doesn’t really do it for me, either.
Hopefully we’ll have a much better choice in 2024.
Rich man poor man begger man thief, doctor lawyer Indian chief or old guy- all that mattered was ridding this great country of that scourge. Same applies to now.

China virus screwed up everything. Then we elected a blithering, drooling, stumbling, bumbling fool that can’t finish a sentence. He killed a dozen marines before he decimated the economy. Quite a two years we have enjoyed.

What could we possibly do about it? The Supreme Court who no one elected decided on a whim to throw out what had been the settled law of the land for 50 years and what happened?

And you even claimed that would never happen before it did. Americans won’t stand for it, you claimed, and here instead of stopping it, you’ve consistently backed it!

Do you have an ounce of self awareness? Good god.
The usual response. Killing babies is the most important right for Democrats.

ADVERTISEMENT