ADVERTISEMENT

A National Mask Mandate Could Save The U.S. Economy $1 Trillion, Goldman Sachs Says

I've kind of thought through that as well. At first I thought if I'm wearing a mask, I shouldn't care if others are. The problem with that is the eyes. I can can protect my mouth and nose, but unless I wear goggles, I can't protect my eyes.
Something better than nothing in my opinion

FFS - local police can help enforce Federal law. And that only matters if the State law doesn't follow along with the law, which is unusual.

Why would a state/local enforce a federal law instead of their own? And if a state didn't have such a law, why would they want to enforce a federal law? I'm not being defensive. I'm just trying to understand the logic.

I happen to disagree that state or local will enforce federal law, except in cases like bank robbery or kidnapping, which are also against state law.

:p:p:p:p:p
This G/Sachs study brought to you by the Imperial College of Shit We Made Up On the Spot Just Now.

The U of Washington's Institute for Metrics and Evaluation reports that if everyone wore a mask it could avoid a shutdown and save 33,000 lives and protect yourself. There are other reports that agree. So, save your garbage you just spewed.

The U of Washington's Institute for Metrics and Evaluation reports that if everyone wore a mask it could avoid a shutdown and save 33,000 lives and protect yourself. There are other reports that agree. So, save your garbage you just spewed.

Do you have a link to that study? I'd like to see the assumptions they made.

Why would a state/local enforce a federal law instead of their own? And if a state didn't have such a law, why would they want to enforce a federal law? I'm not being defensive. I'm just trying to understand the logic.

I happen to disagree that state or local will enforce federal law, except in cases like bank robbery or kidnapping, which are also against state law.
Because they are part of the system to enforce laws. Because Federal laws have precedence.

Why would police in Iowa arrest someone who has a warrant from Illinois? Or for a Federal crime? These entities work together.

I don't believe having the antibodies precludes you from transmitting it to someone else if you become infected. I believe it just means you are likely immune.
Yes, I am immune!

So, I'm basically doing it to placate people. I can't get it, or spread it. Happy now?

It's pretty sad that trump will not wear a mask, so monkey see monkey do, and millions of monkeys running around infecting others and themselves, because like trump, they obviously couldn't care less about others. It's not too late for trump to speak to the American public wearing a mask and strongly (use the word he used when telling us Putin didn't interfere in our election) insist that all Americans wear a mask. Don't anyone hold their breath.

Reactions: TheCainer
Amazing that Republicans picked this hill to die on, but I shouldn't be surprised. Everything is political now.
It is quite the odd tension. Financial motivation of opening up the economy and not having it close vs the personal freedom of not having to not wear a mask in certain situations. I figured most republicans loved money as much as I do but I guess not.

I love how the masks were downplayed and even discouraged when the pandemic started. Now, they're like life preservers on a sinking ship.
Things change as more knowledge/intelligence is gathered.

We often see it in the military as wars progress.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Because they are part of the system to enforce laws. Because Federal laws have precedence. Why would police in Iowa arrest someone who has a warrant from Illinois? Or for a Federal crime? These entities work together.

No they don't,... see immigration law and sanctuary cities..

No kidding. It's almost like this isn't called novel coronavirus, as an: "adjective. of a new and unusual kind; different from anything seen or known before: a novel idea."

Great choice for comparison!

It's been so politicized now that both sides could completely switch on their opinions about it and the people that follow them with switch right behind them.

It is an apt comparison. We have never encountered this virus before, and intelligence has been gathered. Tactics change with information gained.
Awesome. Well, there's a new monster coming from China that's even worse. So, start hoarding now and waiting for orders on what tactics to follow. They can keep this going for perpetuity.

I'm on board with masks.

1581033037278.jpg

Awesome. Well, there's a new monster coming from China that's even worse. So, start hoarding now and waiting for orders on what tactics to follow. They can keep this going for perpetuity.
What an odd take. The issue is whether since the inception of the pandemic, masks have since been found to reduce the transmission of the disease. They have been found to do just that. Nothing to do with hoarding. Nothing to do with whatever other disease is lurking around the corner.

What an odd take. The issue is whether since the inception of the pandemic, masks have since been found to reduce the transmission of the disease. They have been found to do just that. Nothing to do with hoarding. Nothing to do with whatever other disease is lurking around the corner.
I like being odd, and having odd takes.

the guidance is you should wear a mask if you cannot social distance. This has not changed. How did the mask trump social distancing as the savior? If you have a regular mask and your within 3 feet of someone gabbing back and forth, you are exposing your self, not protecting yourself. If you are 6 feet or more away, you are not exposing yourself, mask or no mask.

Reactions: shank hawk
Irony Mask
Indeed, the irony being that if trumpers would wear masks as appropriate so we can reopen and stay open, we will actually make America's economy great again, but they will not do so because they think not wearing a mask is being a great American.

Well, I'm not worried about passing it to anyone. I have the antibodies. I am not worried about getting it from anyone. I have the antibodies. But, I wear the flimsy surgeon's mask in public places to placate the general "mood" of the "feeling" of safety.

Did you get antibody tested? Some of the tests for antibodies aren't very specific. They sort of test if you have been positive for a corona virus rather than specific for covid-19. This was a problem in South Korea. They had a very general test that if triggered positive would warrant a 14 day quarantine.

Cloth masks without a filter, for the most
Cloth masks without a filter, for the most part, don't stop the virus. They stop large droplets.

The first sentence is incorrect, because the second sentence is correct. The virus only spreads through droplets, and cloth masks stop a large percentage of those droplets. So while it is accurate to say cloth face masks are not 100%, it is not correct to say they don't stop the virus.

No question the messaging from WHO and CDC have done a terrible, terrible job in messaging and educating. But wearing a mask provides significant protection to you, and even more protection from you spreading it to others.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yes, I am immune!

So, I'm basically doing it to placate people. I can't get it, or spread it. Happy now?
I think you can still spread it. I'm not certain of that though. And, as I understand it, immunity may not last. A lot still to learn about this disease.

No they don't,... see immigration law and sanctuary cities..
They do. There are cases where they don't (i.e. marijuana laws) but the vast majority of the time they do. I suppose some states/cities might buck the Federal mandate but my guess is they will be few and far between.

Because they are part of the system to enforce laws. Because Federal laws have precedence.

Why would police in Iowa arrest someone who has a warrant from Illinois? Or for a Federal crime? These entities work together.

And you think local agencies are going to enforce a federal law mandating people wear masks?

???? I'm not sure what you're proposing - just doing things the way we always have because, well, we always have?

It's foolish to suggest the actions and tactics used early in a battle have to remain in effect throughout the effort. In fact, I can't imagine how you can support this line of thinking.

The first sentence is incorrect, because the second sentence is correct. The virus only spreads through droplets, and cloth masks stop a large percentage of those droplets. So while it is accurate to say cloth face masks are not 100%, it is not correct to say they don't stop the virus.

No question the messaging from WHO and CDC have done a terrible, terrible job in messaging and educating. But wearing a mask provides significant protection to you, and even more protection from you spreading it to others.

I meant it in the context that the virus can penetrate most cloth masks. I disagree that large droplets are required. I do agree they make it easier.

Did you get antibody tested? Some of the tests for antibodies aren't very specific. They sort of test if you have been positive for a corona virus rather than specific for covid-19. This was a problem in South Korea. They had a very general test that if triggered positive would warrant a 14 day quarantine.
I think you can still spread it. I'm not certain of that though. And, as I understand it, immunity may not last. A lot still to learn about this disease.
lol...

Sheezus! You people are in constant fear, aren't you? But, you do trust the sources for the tests, which apparently aren't reliable.

I made the same post laughing at a person protesting bars while wearing a mask outside. Apparently she needed a mask outdoors but is perfectly okay drinking indoors without a mask. Well unless the drinking mask has already been released...? ;)

By the way just another reason I won't eat any food not cooked at home. germs floating all over especially in restaurants that are actually letting people eat inside. No thanks. Sucks for people with no halfway decent cook at home.

Regarding your first paragraph, I think I follow what you're describing, and it may seem funny, but it also may be the rules.

In Chicago, for bars/restaurants that are open, you can leave your mask off while at your table, but you're required/supposed to wear it coming and going into the establishment or when going to the restroom for instance. Basically whenever not at your table.

Wear a mask. Is Jimmy Dore good enough for the skeptics? He hates CNN just like you guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT