ADVERTISEMENT

A National Mask Mandate Could Save The U.S. Economy $1 Trillion, Goldman Sachs Says

How does the virus travel then?
The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in many affected geographic areas. Community spread means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.

There's a difference in droplets and large droplets. That's why it's said that wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer from others as much as the other way around.

The virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to spread mainly from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).

COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community (“community spread”) in many affected geographic areas. Community spread means people have been infected with the virus in an area, including some who are not sure how or where they became infected.

There's a difference in droplets and large droplets. That's why it's said that wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer from others as much as the other way around.
The virus spreads through droplets. Masks help prevent people from spewing droplets with the virus on them. Masks also help, to a lesser extent, prevent people from ingesting droplets with the virus on them.

No matter the spin, your statement of "Cloth masks without a filter, for the most part, don't stop the virus." in inaccurate.

Regarding your first paragraph, I think I follow what you're describing, and it may seem funny, but it also may be the rules.

In Chicago, for bars/restaurants that are open, you can leave your mask off while at your table, but you're required/supposed to wear it coming and going into the establishment or when going to the restroom for instance. Basically whenever not at your table.
Doesn't surprise, common sense has disappeared :(

lol...

Sheezus! You people are in constant fear, aren't you? But, you do trust the sources for the tests, which apparently aren't reliable.

No, not constant fear. I was more curious how you got tested for it. I work in a hospital and I can't get antibody testing.

I edited my post, I have never learned to link, and at my age I may never.

Fair enough. I found it.

Here are the assumptions. It's seems more statistically based rather than purely scientific based. In the article I found when I googled it, there was no mention of any assumptions on if the death rate would be the same, or continue to go down because there's less chance of younger people dying.

Current projection: assumes mandates would be reimposed for 6 weeks when the U.S. reaches 8 death per million

Mandates easing: assumes that states continue to lift social distancing restrictions and do not reimpose them

Universal masks: where 95% of the population uses masks in every public setting and mandates are reimposed for 6 weeks if the daily death rate reaches 8 per million, according to IHME.

Fair enough. I found it.

Here are the assumptions. It's seems more statistically based rather than purely scientific based. In the article I found when I googled it, there was no mention of any assumptions on if the death rate would be the same, or continue to go down because there's less chance of younger people dying.

Current projection: assumes mandates would be reimposed for 6 weeks when the U.S. reaches 8 death per million

Mandates easing: assumes that states continue to lift social distancing restrictions and do not reimpose them

Universal masks: where 95% of the population uses masks in every public setting and mandates are reimposed for 6 weeks if the daily death rate reaches 8 per million, according to IHME.

U of Washington's Institute for health and metrics and evaluation projections suggest 33,000 lives could be saved if everyone wears a mask. It makes sense to me and for Heaven's sake why wouldn't trump want to insist on it?

U of Washington's Institute for health and metrics and evaluation projections suggest 33,000 lives could be saved if everyone wears a mask. It makes sense to me and for Heaven's sake why wouldn't trump want to insist on it?

Sorry. I can't speak for Trump. I have no idea how he thinks. I really don't understand narcissists in general.

I don't think Trump has the power to mandate, but he certainly has the same ability to influence as Reagan, Clinton, W, and Obama. Yes, I left off GHWB on purpose.

The U of Washington's Institute for Metrics and Evaluation reports that if everyone wore a mask it could avoid a shutdown and save 33,000 lives and protect yourself. There are other reports that agree. So, save your garbage you just spewed.
I don’t believe I will.

For every study making unprovable claims like Goldman Sachs and UW there are studies that claim masks are useless and could even cause more harm than good.

I don’t believe I will.

For every study making unprovable claims like Goldman Sachs and UW there are studies that claim masks are useless and could even cause more harm than good.

I saw Hannity suggesting wearing a mask. What does that tell you?

I saw Hannity suggesting wearing a mask. What does that tell you?
That he’s a feather in the wind?

The only decent voice of reason on Faux ‘News’ is Tucker. Hannity has been two-faced and a hypocrite for many, many moons.

I don’t believe I will.

You can find "studies" to support anything. Use your brain. Trust experts. Wear a mask.

FFS - local police can help enforce Federal law. And that only matters if the State law doesn't follow along with the law, which is unusual.

Weird, leftists have always objected to local police helping ICE enforce federal law.

Just curious about what is the legal basis is for either an executive order, or a law passed by Congress, for requiring people wear masks. How would such a law be enforced?

LOL...what is the legal basis for any of our laws?

The real question is whether we'll do the smart thing (wear masks) to save money when we won't do it to save lives.

The people who care most about saving lives have had their turn at persuading us to wear masks . . . and have failed.

Will the people who care most about saving money get America to change it's mind?

The folks who are already wearing masks to save lives will presumably stay on board, so folks like Goldman-Sachs have fewer people to persuade. So there's that.

And it sounds like Trump is considering wearing a mask. Is that because money is on the line? Or is he just doing his usual waffling? Either way, that might get a few more idiots to reconsider.

The real question is whether we'll do the smart thing (wear masks) to save money when we won't do it to save lives.

The people who care most about saving lives have had their turn at persuading us to wear masks . . . and have failed.

Will the people who care most about saving money get America to change it's mind?

The folks who are already wearing masks to save lives will presumably stay on board, so folks like Goldman-Sachs have fewer people to persuade. So there's that.

And it sounds like Trump is considering wearing a mask. Is that because money is on the line? Or is he just doing his usual waffling? Either way, that might get a few more idiots to reconsider.
I can’t wait for the Trump flip flop on this one.

“We have the best masks in the USA. I have led the charge for mask wearing since day 1 of the China virus even though I have no need since I have a great immune system. No one knew masks would be so effective, but I said ‘why not give them a shot what can they hurt’ even though the so called experts said they weren’t necessary and now we have more masks that anybody. I really get this stuff.”

I can’t wait for the Trump flip flop on this one.

“We have the best masks in the USA. I have led the charge for mask wearing since day 1 of the China virus even though I have no need since I have a great immune system. No one knew masks would be so effective, but I said ‘why not give them a shot what can they hurt’ even though the so called experts said they weren’t necessary and now we have more masks that anybody. I really get this stuff.”
Wow. That's a terrific job of channeling Trump.

If you can imitate his voice, you could do standup.

Alternatively, you could probably get a job writing speeches for him.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
I don’t believe I will.

This is completely wrong. There are not an equal number of studies that claim that masks are causing more harm than good. I understand wanting to look at this with a critical eye and using solid reasoning to understand what is going on. The studies that are out there very clearly show (along with real world examples) that wide spread mask usage is effective in reducing the spread of this virus.

ADVERTISEMENT