ADVERTISEMENT

A Negotiator was trying to contact the gunman at the Uvalde school

gohawks50

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
As a massacre unfolded inside an elementary school here last week, a would-be negotiator deployed in a funeral home across the street tried frantically to reach the gunman via cellphone, Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin said Wednesday.

In an interview with The Washington Post, McLaughlin (R) said he rushed to Hillcrest Funeral Home about 15 minutes after “the first call” reporting that 18-year-old Salvador Ramos had crashed his pickup truck nearby. He found himself standing near an official he identified only as “the negotiator,” while frightened parents gathered outside the school and police waited well over an hour to storm the classroom.

“His main goal was to try to get this person on the phone,” McLaughlin said in the interview, which was also conducted by Telemundo San Antonio. “They tried every number they could find,” but the gunman did not pick up the phone.

McLaughlin offered few other new details of the police response to the mass shooting, which is under investigation by the Texas Department of Public Safety and which state officials have described in contradictory ways over the last 10 days.

He said he doesn’t believe the negotiator was aware there were children calling 911 and asking police to save them while the gunman was in the classroom. The mayor said he was not aware of those calls, nor did he hear shots fired from inside the school, across the street.

Read the rest here:

There's a time for talking and a time for action. When a guy shoots his grandmother, then shoots at random people on the street as he's running from his wrecked vehicle towards a school, and multiple shots have been fired in the school, it's past time for talking.

There's a time for talking and a time for action. When a guy shoots his grandmother, then shoots at random people on the street as he's running from his wrecked vehicle towards a school, and multiple shots have been fired in the school, it's past time for talking.
Yes, the whole response seems to be an example of what not to do. I'm having trouble understanding why they believed this situation was different from previous school shootings.

Speculation on my part but it would seem plausible that they were telling the cops in the hallway to wait because they had a negotiator contacting the gunman.

Speculation on my part but it would seem plausible that they were telling the cops in the hallway to wait because they had a negotiator contacting the gunman.
They were just dialing every number they could think of. They didn't have any idea what number to call. I don't see anything wrong with trying that, but I see a lot wrong with waiting to see if it would work. It didn't have to be a linear approach.

That's possible, but who was aware children were calling 911 from the classroom? It seems like something the negotiator as well as the cops in the hallway should have known.

I’m sorry but the dude is actively shooting people, kids, in a damn school. They were well aware of this. Get your asses in there and stop him. Christ.

Reactions: gohawks50
Because a guy on the phone at a death facility across the street is better than a guy with a gun outside the classroom. What happened with “throw your gun down and come out with your hands up”? 🤔

I'm guessing that's the case. That's stupid as hell, of course. Their own training told them that they confront the shooter ASAP. If everyone in the room is dead, why not? If there are still kids in there who are alive, every f'n second counts.

They were just dialing every number they could think of. They didn't have any idea what number to call. I don't see anything wrong with trying that, but I see a lot wrong with waiting to see if it would work. It didn't have to be a linear approach.

JFC. Unfcvking believable. Negotiate with a wacko that just killed 19 kids and 2 teachers. Yeah, this guy is going to barter in good faith. They had a GD army and were too cowardly to take on the creep. Is there any situation the right-wing won't come to the defense of incompetent law enforcement?

ADVERTISEMENT